Author Topic: Which 3 avocados for Orlando?  (Read 8068 times)

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
Which 3 avocados for Orlando?
« on: March 30, 2015, 04:50:09 PM »
I have room for 3 avocados and I'm leaning towards Monroe, Joey, Brogden, or Oro Negro?  Does anyone have any experience with these varieties in Central Florida?  I'm also wondering if there are any stark differences in their growth habits.  Thanks.
- Marley

spaceoak

• Zone 9b, North Orlando, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Which 3 avocados for Orlando?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 12:31:03 PM »
I am putting in three avocados soon as well.  Also Orlando area.  I was leaning towards Brogden, Lula, and Monroe.  I am interested in some more experienced growers opinions. 

Serene1

• Orange County Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 08:50:17 PM »
Winter Mexican, Brogden, Lula

Alternate Selections:

Winter Mexican, Fantastic, Monroe

I have all these and the do well even in very cold weather. Use 2 "A's" and one "B" or vice versa. Fantastic, Brogden are early, Monroe, Winter Mexican and Lula are late varieties. Plant close enough to encourage cross pollination.

Dennis in SW Orlando, near the attractions

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 09:27:41 PM »

Alternate Selections:

I have all these and the do well even in very cold weather. Use 2 "A's" and one "B" or vice versa. Fantastic, Brogden are early, Monroe, Winter Mexican and Lula are late varieties. Plant close enough to encourage cross pollination.

All great varieties!  I have a WM and Lula but they are still young.  Have you fruited your trees yet? How is your Monroe doing and did you get it locally?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 09:29:46 PM by FruitFreak »
- Marley

spaceoak

• Zone 9b, North Orlando, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 05:28:59 PM »
From what I can research Lula is the only "A" flower type listed, so it would be just choosing the other two based on taste, growth characteristic, and time of harvest. 
Does that sound correct?

Alternate Selections:

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 05:41:18 PM »
Sounds about right spaceoak.  I think its also important to consider cold hardiness as well.  In my yard some areas are more exposed to cold and wind than others.  I have heard Joey is a good quality heavy bearing variety that will surely survive any temps in our zone.  The brogden tastes great but is a pain in the ass to peel.
- Marley

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 09:26:41 AM »
I cannot comment on the viability of growing Monroe near Orlando... but the taste of Monroe is excellent. It has a rich, nutty "umami" flavor element that makes it hard for me to not take another bite.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 10:39:42 AM »

Alternate Selections:

How is the fruit quality of the Fantastic?  Big seed, easy peel, oil content?

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 10:42:15 AM »
The brogden tastes great but is a pain in the ass to peel.

Fer sure and one reason I got rid of it.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 10:50:45 AM »

What mthod do you mean when you say "peel"?  I have no problem scooping out the flesh with a spoon.
- Rob

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 11:10:09 AM »

What mthod do you mean when you say "peel"?  I have no problem scooping out the flesh with a spoon.

I don't peel avocados either, I use a large spoon.  The Brogdon's skin is so thin and so messy to "peel" that it is now a Waldin with 3 varieties on it.  ;)

I also found the meat clings to the large seed.

Life's too short......

Yook

• USA, Florida, Orlando, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2018, 06:33:05 PM »
Hi Fruitfreak,

I see this is an older post and you are in Naples now. What did you eventually settle on and what luck did you have with Orlando avocados?

Also, in case anyone knows, what is meant by "texas avocados"?

Much appreciated

IndigoEmu

• US, Florida, Longwood, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2018, 08:39:28 PM »
Hi Fruitfreak,

I see this is an older post and you are in Naples now. What did you eventually settle on and what luck did you have with Orlando avocados?

Also, in case anyone knows, what is meant by "texas avocados"?

Much appreciated

I’m always interested in what avocados people are growing in and north of Orlando. Looking for input too. Cold hardiness is an important defining factor as in this area of 9b we can have a string of warm winters that are conductive towards many tropicals (even mangos if you get lucky) but all it takes is one moderate freeze to set you back years. By the time that happens a lot of plants are too big to effectively protect. I had a 13 year old seedling avocado from the Philippines that had delicious fruit, but it died in the hard winter of 2010/2011 when it hit a low of 25. I’m 12 miles north of the city center and currently have Lila, Winter Mexican, and just planted Wurtz. The former two are still less than a year in ground but are doing well.

There are several Avocados scattered in and around peoples yards near me, though I don’t know the specific varieties. Most look of Mexican descent along with some that look more Guatemalan. Probably a lot of hybrids between the two. No doubt some are brogden as thats one of the few well known cultivars for here. There was a moderate freeze last winter (coldest night hit 28 in my yard) that damaged several of the larger trees that looked more Guatemalan, but they have recovered well. A lot of trees were also unaffected. Beyond brogden, there’s not a lot of information on what varieties can fruit well (and taste good) on our often deep infertile sands while surviving the occasional hard freeze.

The commonly circulated “Texas avocados” (varieties originating from Texas and distributed by their nurseries that are of mostly Mexican descent) go by different names here and while their supposed cold hardiness (down to 16 for some) would make them seem like no brainers there are a lot of worrying reviews based on taste (in Texas) and uneven ripening/taste (in South Florida). Central Florida might be a bit less wet for them to allow for proper ripening, and perhaps some would taste better on our sand. I chose Lila (a Texas nursery variety, a genetic clone of Opal) as I did read one good review of someone north of me and the tree is a dwarf. Wurtz is also a dwarf and while it has reviews of tasting rather fair in California/Hawaii/Australia, the fruit of trees grown in Florida are apparently high quality. Winter Mexican has rather consistent reviews of being a good tasting avocado, though information on them in this area is still lacking.

There is also a report of a Florida Hass fruiting well and tasting excellent in 9b, while the same variety failed testing miserably in South Florida. Whatever the case people growing and fruiting their own trees are definitely your best resource in choosing cultivars...when I got back into the hobby earlier this year I quickly realized that nurseries will sell you plants based on whatever the often glorifying reviews on the tag says (I’m looking at you, Texas avocados) without having ever having seen a mature tree or fruit of said variety.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 08:51:18 PM by IndigoEmu »

Yook

• USA, Florida, Orlando, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2018, 09:00:15 PM »
That's some awesome info emu, thanks for the reply. I agree that the misinformation and overoptimism on many nursery websites is worrying.

I have also been thrown off of many of what I believe are texas varieties (pancho, lila, joey, fantastic) by poor reviews on this and a couple other forums.

I feel as though my threshold for avocado taste is not as discerning as some of the other forum goers and I would be happy with something that reliably produces decently sized fruit which tastes about as good as grocery store fruit.

One thing others may be able to answer. Are the thin skinned avocadoes really that annoying to get the meat out of? This seems to come up as a major negative on so many posts and I can't believe there isn't some method to more easily get the flesh out.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2018, 08:22:52 AM »
What is meant by "Texas avocados" aka Tex-mex avocados you ask?  One word - CRAP.  Here's a Joey.  Small fruit, thin skin, bland grassy taste, big seed.  Nothing going for it except as a rootstock.  All of the ads for Tex-mex avocados are faux.

Having tasted one and seeing it recommended by dozens of veteran avocado growers there's only one I can recommend.  Stewart, a very cold hardy, rich, larger seedling of Mexicola.

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2018, 01:57:51 PM »
I have a bearing Brogdon and just planted Lula, Wurtz and Day.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2018, 02:45:46 PM »
That's some awesome info emu, thanks for the reply. I agree that the misinformation and overoptimism on many nursery websites is worrying.

I have also been thrown off of many of what I believe are texas varieties (pancho, lila, joey, fantastic) by poor reviews on this and a couple other forums.

I feel as though my threshold for avocado taste is not as discerning as some of the other forum goers and I would be happy with something that reliably produces decently sized fruit which tastes about as good as grocery store fruit.

One thing others may be able to answer. Are the thin skinned avocadoes really that annoying to get the meat out of? This seems to come up as a major negative on so many posts and I can't believe there isn't some method to more easily get the flesh out.

No getting the meat out is not difficult.  You just use a spoon.

Unless it looks like Marks picture of Joey (which looks a lot like Mexicola).  I guess if its pure mexican you can eat the thin skin but I would rather just get an avocado with some meat on it.
Brad Spaugh

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2018, 05:08:04 PM »
Please can i have your opinion about duke 7 avocado? It's a good one, cold hardy fruit? Thank's!

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2018, 06:11:28 PM »
Please can i have your opinion about duke 7 avocado? It's a good one, cold hardy fruit? Thank's!
I found this about duke avocados:

Duke Avocados (Duke Avocado History) are an extremely rare variety of avocado was brought to northern California because it would avoid the frost season.  These avocados set flower in late spring and have ripe mature fruit around October.  The fruit is about the same size as a Hass only slightly more elongated.  The duke has a thin smooth skin and extremely creamy flesh.  This is not a watery or waxy avocado but rather a rich delicate avocado with high fat content.  It makes mouthwatering guacamole.  In fact the duke’s skin is so thin you can bite right through it like an apple and eat the skin and all.  Or when making guacamole, cut the avocado in half, pit it, and throw both halves in the blender skin and all.  The finished product will look like you have cilantro in your guac.  The last thing people will suspect is that it’s actually the skin.  These fruits were very popular until around the 50’s when Hass over took them in popularity.  Some say Hass is actually inferior in quality when compared to the Duke, but that with the Hass having thicker skin it could ship better in world that was just evolving into a regional and national food distribution system.  Duke has a very hardy resistant rootstock and eventually it became more known for that then for it’s amazing fruit.  As one of it’s earliest northern California growers Del Chaffin had a lot to do with this avocados development in the states at all.  At our peak we had about 240 Duke Avocado trees.  Today, with only a couple dozen 60+ year old trees, I believe we are actually the last farm in North America, quite possibly the world, growing this special variety.
http://www.chaffinfamilyorchards.com/farm-products/fall-fruits-duke-avocado/

igrowmangos

• USA, East Central Florida, Plant Zone 9B
    • View Profile
    • Mango Tree Growers Of America (Facebook Page Admin)
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2018, 04:15:57 PM »
So, after reading this thread does anyone have more information on Stewart Avos?
“When life gives you lemons, throw it back & say, “I said I wanted a MANGO!”

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2018, 02:53:47 PM »
So, after reading this thread does anyone have more information on Stewart Avos?

I posted some photos of some and my thoughts in the "avocafo thread".  Not sure if they would grow in FL.  You could search for Carlos' website and see if he grew them.
Brad Spaugh

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2018, 03:18:57 PM »
Hi! Any one knows one US nursery that sells cold hardy avocados and can send them to Europe? Thank's!

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2018, 03:50:13 PM »
Have you tried pine island nursery

They ship but not sure about Europe

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2018, 05:03:25 PM »
Have you tried pine island nursery

They ship but not sure about Europe
I don't think so...

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2018, 05:07:32 PM »
Are you wanting a live tree sent to europe?  Doubtful it will make the trip.

What you need to do is grow some seeds from store bought avocados in EU.  Then order scion wood from the USA and graft some trees.  Grow 20 or 30 seeds to increase your chances of good takes.  Let them grow for a year and become large and healthy.  Then order your desired scion types and do 10 or more grafts of each type.  Then grow the trees out and you will havenyour own seed and scion stock to spread around Europe.
Brad Spaugh