Author Topic: I'm 4 Imbe  (Read 17626 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: I'm 4 Imbe
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2013, 03:20:30 AM »
Oscar...what types of fertilizer and when do you normally fertilize yours?  I'm trying to get the female to start cranking out the blooms.  The male seems nearly non-stop.  Thanks

Didn't use anything fancy, just plain old chicken manure. I fertilized them at end of fruiting and when first started flowering again.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2013, 03:21:53 AM »

My imbe is from Oscar. I have ten trees and started to fruit last year, there are five trees that can fruit so far. I had the first fruit last year and felt it's too sour;however,I had another fruit yesterday. I could not believe my tongue, it's really tasty, very sweet, aromatic. I guess if the  fruit is ripe enough, it will be a very good fruit.

Hi Rock, glad to hear your imbes are fruiting. How long did it take, how many years, for first fruits? I discovered they taste a lot better and give much bigger and more fruits if well fertilized. I posted some photos on another thread: http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=6423.msg84142#msg84142
Oscar,
It took almost 3 years to bare the first fruits, this is the earliest one. The other four trees took about 3.5 years to fruit.

That's very good! Mine took a LOT longer to fruit. They are very slow growing at first from seed, as i'm sure you noticed!
Oscar

snowjunky

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9a/9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2019, 08:42:24 PM »
Strange some of you had imbe trees with shallow or wimpy root systems.  All my imbes had extremely long tap roots when I took them out of pots to plant in the ground.  The tap roots are at least twice as long as the top is tall.  So a 2 foot tall imbe has a 4 foot tap root.  I dug extra deep holes to plant them, yet I still had to coil the tap roots to make them fit in the holes.  They don't however have very many fibrous roots.

My two biggest imbes are 10ft tall, but still no flowers.  They've been in the ground for 3 years and are probably 5 or 6 years old.
Some useful info from my experience is that they:
*survived 25F low with a few 5 gallon buckets of water next to them. Only leaves and small twigs damage.
*can withstand full day summer Phoenix sun and heat, which is impressive.
*grow well in the 8+pH clay soil and hard water here
*have some iron or zinc deficiency like citrus does here.

I know some people have grafted Luc's Mexican and achachairu to imbe.  Did it work and did it grow long term?  Please share your knowledge!

shpaz

• Florida/Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2019, 02:59:45 AM »

I know some people have grafted Luc's Mexican and achachairu to imbe.  Did it work and did it grow long term?  Please share your knowledge!

I REALLY want to know as well
A passion for things that grow
https://attar-sa.com/

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2019, 02:28:34 PM »
Just found this tree locally.  Its basically being grown on an easement all and as far as I know nobody harvests the fruit. Besides the massive seeds, I must say its very good like achacha.  Can these be airlayered?

- Marley