Author Topic: Kauai White Sugarloaf Pineapples  (Read 37589 times)

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Kauai White Sugarloaf Pineapples
« Reply #100 on: July 26, 2017, 02:34:20 PM »
Last year, in another thread "When is this Kona Sugarloaf ready", vanman fruited his sugarloaf from Florida Hill Nursery and it turned out to be yellow inside so not sugarloaf. No response from the nursery either. I'm just posting here just in case anyone saw my mention of the nursery and wanted to buy from there.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 26, 2017, 03:14:57 PM »
If I recall correctly, don't the White Pineapples turn a yellowish color when over ripe?

It appears the best method of getting the true variety you want is by ordering a fruit, if possible(usually not possible) and then growing the top. Fortunately for us, the Kuai White Sugarloaf is the best tasting variety I have personally tasted and this fruit can be ordered and delivered directly to your door. Fortunately for my paranoid self, I'm not trusting the mail order nurseries until I've had a chance to fruit their plants and confirm the fruit myself. I'll just have to wait for my White Sugarloaf plantlets from Wellspring Gardens to fruit before I can confirm what I have but in the meantime, I've also got the actual tops of the Kuai White Sugarloafs from Jude growing which I know is the real deal.

Simon

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 26, 2017, 03:17:58 PM »
I have to order the fruit then. It's pricey though so I will wait a little bit longer.

Evildeadguy

• Polk County, FL, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 26, 2017, 03:30:30 PM »
No matter how long you wait the price will still be the same but trust me Kaua'i white sugarloaf pineapple is worth the cost
Pineapples i Grow: Natal Queen

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 26, 2017, 06:02:30 PM »
No matter how long you wait the price will still be the same but trust me Kaua'i white sugarloaf pineapple is worth the cost
I know it won't get cheaper. Will get some when I can.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 26, 2017, 08:24:39 PM »
Here's a couple I received today. I'll give a taste report once I sample it.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 26, 2017, 08:26:42 PM »
Here are some pictures of my White Sugarloafs from WellSpring Gardens. The leaves are slightly serrated but seem to be smoothing out a bit as they mature.

Simon

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 26, 2017, 08:49:46 PM »
Here are some pictures of my White Sugarloafs from WellSpring Gardens. The leaves are slightly serrated but seem to be smoothing out a bit as they mature.

Simon

yeah mine that i got from  WellSpring Gardens a few years ago had serrated leaves to even a few of my Florida Special pineapple plants i got from them had serrated leaves two of them did out of 6 plants but the pineapples still turned out to be the same only difference was the serrated leaves 

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 26, 2017, 09:00:09 PM »
Here's a couple I received today. I'll give a taste report once I sample it.

Simon

Them look really good i was thinking about ordering some again soon myself.... i have seen some of judes pineapples that get to be around 9lbs i would like to be able to get them that big but won't be easy cause the plant needs to get huge to be able to support a pineapple that size and even though i live in florida I'm in a part that still gets some what cold around winter time so most of my plants don't get past 1 years worth of growth

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 27, 2017, 12:29:48 PM »
I cut open the first pineapple from this shipment yesterday and the fruit seems a bit larger but this fruit was slightly less sweet and complex as the last shipment. I was hoping this shipment would be even sweeter because it is later in the season and the weather should be warmer but the fruit quality is still great. This pineapple had a bit more acidity and the Brix was 17% at the bottom, last shipment it was 19% at the bottom. This fruit also had less of that vanilla creamy flavor. Hopefully the next fruit will be even better. I'm thinking maybe they got a lot of rain that might have watered down the flavor?

Simon

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 27, 2017, 02:42:59 PM »
Do you guys get 1, 2, or 3 at a time?

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 27, 2017, 02:53:30 PM »
when i order them i get 3 at the time but get what ever amount you need there so worth it :)

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 27, 2017, 03:02:48 PM »
I cut open the first pineapple from this shipment yesterday and the fruit seems a bit larger but this fruit was slightly less sweet and complex as the last shipment. I was hoping this shipment would be even sweeter because it is later in the season and the weather should be warmer but the fruit quality is still great. This pineapple had a bit more acidity and the Brix was 17% at the bottom, last shipment it was 19% at the bottom. This fruit also had less of that vanilla creamy flavor. Hopefully the next fruit will be even better. I'm thinking maybe they got a lot of rain that might have watered down the flavor?

Simon

i really don't think every pineapple picked will always be the same.. some better than others but still
17% is really good

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 27, 2017, 05:54:52 PM »
yeah mine that i got from  WellSpring Gardens a few years ago had serrated leaves to even a few of my Florida Special pineapple plants i got from them had serrated leaves two of them did out of 6 plants but the pineapples still turned out to be the same only difference was the serrated leaves
Evildeadguy, here is my Florida special. You can see different leaves on one plant. The crown has smooth leaves so has a baby on the left but the one on the right has spiny leaves.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 27, 2017, 06:31:44 PM »
It's cheaper to buy 3 at a time because you save on shipping. You can combine orders with friends in order to save money.

Jimmy, I agree, each fruit is going to be different. I'll bet these would taste even better when home grown and left to ripen slightly longer on the plant. I'm making White Pineapples snow for my daughters with some fruit I froze last night. I'm throwing the frozen Pineapples into my Omega juicer with a blank plate.

Simon

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #115 on: July 27, 2017, 07:27:01 PM »
They get bright yellow-orange when left to ripen on plant and waft a very strong pleasant odor. Pretty irresistible to rats, that's why most pick them early.
Oscar

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 28, 2017, 03:24:56 PM »
In the past i have ordered different types of pineapples that come from Hawaii... i know that
the crown on some pineapples can get pretty big but when ordering from Jude they are the
only ones i know of that breaks the crowns  so there able to ship the pineapples i would guess
it has alot to do with the small boxes they use to ship in.

Other places that i have order from Hawaii ship the pineapples they grow in bigger size boxes
like when i ordered Maui Gold i ordered 6 of them and they packed them in a good size box all
nice and snugged and none of the crowns were broken when i got them

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 28, 2017, 04:46:02 PM »
Jimmy, what did you think of the Maui Gold variety compared to others? I see them in supermarkets but they're not in very good shape so it wasn't a satisfying experience for me. Not too acidic but also not very sweet either.

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 28, 2017, 04:57:00 PM »
Jimmy, what did you think of the Maui Gold variety compared to others? I see them in supermarkets but they're not in very good shape so it wasn't a satisfying experience for me. Not too acidic but also not very sweet either.

I liked them they were pretty good but not as good as The white sugarloaf so far its my top fav then the Queen pineapple is my 2nd Fav

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 26, 2017, 02:35:55 PM »
hey here is an update to my White SugarLoaf Pineapple Plants here is a Photo so you can see how big they have gotten
they are almost a year old

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 26, 2017, 03:52:56 PM »
Nice update, those look like they’re almost the size for flowering. Many of my pineapples got sunburn from the 104F heat they received on Monday.

Simon

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 26, 2017, 05:23:32 PM »
Nice update, those look like they’re almost the size for flowering. Many of my pineapples got sunburn from the 104F heat they received on Monday.

Simon

Yeah i got a funny feeling they will flower soon now that the temps are dropping it needs to be around the 50's for a pineapple plant  to flower
so we shell see in the next month or so if it does flower

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 16, 2017, 06:15:01 PM »
before i forget again Lol I wanted to let everyone know that the White Sugarloaf pineapple plant sunburns easy the leaves i'm talking about
i was thinking it was just mine but it seems they do the same thing in Hawaii to i watched one of Judes youtube videos again and hers does the same thing as mine.... so when time come's guess i will have to keep the pineapple covered up like they do with jude's pineapples i think they use a paper bag to cover them

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 16, 2017, 05:58:44 PM »
update again the kauai white sugarloaf if you plan to grow them they don't like the cold at all and get freeze burn easy last
week we had a few days here in florida that were pretty cold i went to look at them and most of the leaves were white...
so i went online to do a search on pineapple white leaves meant freeze burn from cold temps around 50 or lower....
i just hope it didn't hurt them to bad that they will pull through

its crazy cause none of my other pineapple plant varitys took any damage from the cold

so far i have learned Kauai white sugarloaf plants are  sensitive to sun they burn easy on really hot days and now cold sensitive
guess that's why they do so great in Hawaii.... jude has said before the plant and fruit sun burn easy

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 17, 2017, 07:24:27 AM »
update again the kauai white sugarloaf if you plan to grow them they don't like the cold at all and get freeze burn easy last
week we had a few days here in florida that were pretty cold i went to look at them and most of the leaves were white...
so i went online to do a search on pineapple white leaves meant freeze burn from cold temps around 50 or lower....
i just hope it didn't hurt them to bad that they will pull through

its crazy cause none of my other pineapple plant varitys took any damage from the cold

so far i have learned Kauai white sugarloaf plants are  sensitive to sun they burn easy on really hot days and now cold sensitive
guess that's why they do so great in Hawaii.... jude has said before the plant and fruit sun burn easy

Funny but my Sugarloaf and White Jade have not shown stress unlike a couple of "twistees".  Temps have dropped in the greenhouse to 35F at least 3 times and some are getting very white.  I don't think pineapples in general like temps below 45F