Author Topic: Wtb seedless guava  (Read 2524 times)

dnguyen

• Simi Valley, CA
    • View Profile
Wtb seedless guava
« on: December 18, 2020, 09:47:25 AM »
Anyone selling seedless guava Plants in southern cali or knows where I can buy one?

Thanks

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Wtb seedless guava
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 04:28:18 PM »
CH Fruit Tree Nursery...I believe this is the same as Tropicalbonsainursery.net.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 11:41:15 PM by wslau »
Warren

dnguyen

• Simi Valley, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 11:55:10 PM »
Yea. I saw those two websites when I did a search. He doesn’t seem very reliable. Very difficult to get response and when he does send out the trees, I read people complain that the trees were very small. Does anyone have actual experience buying from these two website?

wslau

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2020, 01:09:13 AM »
You can try Champa nursery in El Monte, but I don’t recall if Jimmy at Champa has them.  Best to give him a call.
Btw, I recall someone once telling me that Tropical Bonsai Nursery (Charlie) is the house/property next door to Champa, but I have never independently verified this.
Perhaps you can try Mimosa(East LA), but I have always felt their prices were quite high. 
Unfortunately, you have desired an item that has a somewhat limited number of local vendors, and hence, commands a higher price.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 02:58:47 AM by wslau »
Warren

fruit4me

• USA, CA/LOS ANGELES,SAN GABRIEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2020, 04:44:38 PM »
Grafted Crystal seedless guava in 25 gallon pot for $300  pick up only  in the city of San Gabriel

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2020, 12:59:31 AM »
Grafted Crystal seedless guava in 25 gallon pot for $300  pick up only  in the city of San Gabriel

Do they fruit well in a container that size?

fruit4me

• USA, CA/LOS ANGELES,SAN GABRIEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2020, 01:56:50 AM »

Yes, very heavy producers. It's currently holding lots of late season fruits.

VP

• AZUSA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2020, 12:35:22 PM »
I bought from him several times. Trees are small but they all live. He is retired and operates a home nursery so don't expect full customer service. He gets the order, check and ship or cancel the order and that's all he is gonna communicate.

Seedless guava is slow growing. Wherever you buy, the tree will look small compare to the price you pay.

Yes, very heavy producers. It's currently holding lots of late season fruits.
Yea. I saw those two websites when I did a search. He doesn’t seem very reliable. Very difficult to get response and when he does send out the trees, I read people complain that the trees were very small. Does anyone have actual experience buying from these two website?

Tlaloc

• https://www.instagram.com/laloscorner/
    • Spacex, CA 10B and EAFB 8B
    • View Profile
    • Lalo's Corner
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2020, 02:17:30 PM »
I was at ONG Nursery in Sandiego. And I believe they had 3-4 seedless guavas. Very pricey though.

dnguyen

• Simi Valley, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2020, 10:15:18 PM »
thanks all. I was able to get one at Mimosa. He had 1 left in the back. About 5' with two long branches for $150 which I think is pretty reasonable.

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2020, 11:31:30 PM »
thanks all. I was able to get one at Mimosa. He had 1 left in the back. About 5' with two long branches for $150 which I think is pretty reasonable.

Which one did you end up getting?

dnguyen

• Simi Valley, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2020, 12:11:44 AM »
not sure on the exact variety. But take said seedless guava, he said it was the taiwanese seedless. The leaves were very round not long and oval like other guava's. So I'm assuming its the crystal guava.

wslau

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2020, 12:43:27 AM »
Crystal seedless guava is from Malaysia.  It is not a Taiwanese variety.  Also, Crystal leaves are not really round.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 01:36:48 AM by wslau »
Warren

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2020, 01:34:39 AM »
This is the fruit from my Crystal seedless guava.  I don't know where is from, some said Taiwan some said Malaysia.  If I am not mistaking from all the search I found online.  Crystal is from Malaysia but Taiwan made it better in taste and size.  Still, not 100% sure.  The good thing about this variety is it is flowering all year long.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 01:36:52 AM by pinkturtle »

dnguyen

• Simi Valley, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2020, 08:32:01 AM »
So where did you guys get your Crystal guava from? Which source is the most reliable?

dnguyen

• Simi Valley, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2020, 10:16:49 AM »
I found this videos regarding seedless guava and the difference in leaves when young and mature. Does the tree in the video look like a Crystal Guava to you guys?

https://youtu.be/QRjHLzu7ADk

VP

• AZUSA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2020, 11:33:24 AM »
What you bought at Mimosa is  the common Taiwan seedless guava. They don't have Crystal.

Crystal guava leaves are not round. I have one but no leaves at the moment due to shock from shipping. But the leaves from the tree when it arrived were pointy. I bought from CHnursery you mentioned above

I found this videos regarding seedless guava and the difference in leaves when young and mature. Does the tree in the video look like a Crystal Guava to you guys?

https://youtu.be/QRjHLzu7ADk

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2020, 11:53:25 AM »
I brought two seedless from CHnursery, 1 x Crystal and 1 x unknown one and brought another crystal from one of the forum members here.  I got fruit from crystal I brought from CHnursery already, see pics above, and both of the crystal trees are flowering and set some small fruits right now.  The unknown one set flowers, but all the flowers dropped.  Looking forward to next year.

Might need extra care if buy from CHnursery.  The trees are not in good condition when arrived, but they survive.  I had to cover them with plastic bag to created the green house effect and put them under the shaded area for more than a month.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 11:59:45 AM by pinkturtle »

Malhar

• Irvine CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2020, 11:56:15 AM »
Mimosa LA did have crystal guava earlier this year. I had purchased one from him.  Label just stated "Crystal Guava" but did not say seedless on the label. Leaves are pointy as shown in pictures on this forum from different members. I did get a few fruits but they were not totally seedless. 

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2020, 12:06:23 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong.  From what I read online, the totally seedless crystal is from Malaysia, but the taste is not as great as the Taiwan crystal that contain few seeds. 

I am looking for the Taiwan emperor guava, I heard it is big and very good taste. 

I brought couple of the Taiwan guava from the Asian supermarket around here, the quality is not that great.  It could be caused by the early picked due to the shipment.  Germinate some seeds and hope for the best.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 12:12:03 PM by pinkturtle »

wslau

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2020, 03:32:02 PM »
The Crystal I have is not completely seedless, but close to it when you compare to a regular guava.  Maybe less than 15 per fruit.  But the seeds are edible and don’t bother me.
A friend told me that his Crystal appeared to have more seeds than expected....and I do recall reading somewhere that a seedless variety can get more seeds if there is a another pollinating variety (non-seedless) nearby.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 05:59:32 PM by wslau »
Warren

dnguyen

• Simi Valley, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2020, 03:40:49 PM »
Thanks everyone for all the inputs. It’s been super informative since I’m new to the seedless guava game. Seems like seedless guava is quit hard to obtain still and not readily available.