Author Topic: White Sapote, should I uproot it?  (Read 3499 times)

DanNg

• US, CA, Newark, 10a
    • View Profile
White Sapote, should I uproot it?
« on: May 13, 2018, 01:53:14 PM »
Hi everyone,

I mistakenly bought a white sapote tree (McDill) as I thought it was a Chico Sapote one (the one I am looking for). I would much appreciate any advice on should I keep this tree as I have never tasted this fruit before. 

Also, any suggestion for tropical fruit trees that can thrive in Zone 10a is welcome. Trees that I have now are a Pixie Mandarin, a Reed Avocado, a Kohala longan, a Stella cherry, a white flesh nectarine tree (unknown variety), a yellow-skin pomegranate gifted by a friend.

Best regards and thank you all!!
Dan

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
Re: White Sapote, should I uproot it?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 01:55:32 PM »
Could be the best mistake you ever made!
You'll get some fruit VS no guarantee's with the Chico.
Was it from Menlo Growers out of curiosity?

DanNg

• US, CA, Newark, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 02:46:47 PM »
Thanks Bush for your prompt response. The one that I bought lost its tag but nearby trees have Menlo grower tags on them. I bought this tree from a local nursery near Gilroy.

My concern is that this fruit is so unpopular that not a lot of info can be found about it. Also, it is said to cause drowsiness. But at least, you feedback make me feel much better.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 03:06:07 PM »
The white sapote gets quite large, some sapodillas are more compact depending
on which variety you choose. I have never eaten white sapote, I do have two trees
still hoping for a late bloom. I have 5 grafted sapodillas and 3 seedlings. It is one of
my favorite fruits. There are numerous people from California that have production issues
with sapodilla. Coastal areas seem to have less issues. Before you plant sapodilla make
sure you research your area, you don't want to give up real estate for something that won't
fruit.

joehewitt

• Hilo, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 03:39:34 PM »
Let me guess, the tree was simply labeled "Sapote" where you bought it?

There are 4 million and one fruits with "Sapote" in the name and yet people still go around calling some of them simply "Sapote" as if it's the only sapote on earth.

For the love of pete, people, stop it!

DanNg

• US, CA, Newark, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 06:40:05 PM »

There are 4 million and one fruits with "Sapote" in the name and yet people still go around calling some of them simply "Sapote" as if it's the only sapote on earth.

I first tried the sapote (Chico) at a local farmer market. When asked what fruit it was, the seller just told me "sapote". So I assumed that there is only one kind of sapote. Then I came across my current sapote (white) tree at a nursery a few days ago, assuming it the same sapote as the one I tried. So, it was me who not to double check the variety before purchasing it. I've just recently recognized that White sapote, Black sapote, and Chico one are totally non-related varieties. 

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 10:41:30 PM »
Hi everyone,

I mistakenly bought a white sapote tree (McDill) as I thought it was a Chico Sapote one (the one I am looking for). I would much appreciate any advice on should I keep this tree as I have never tasted this fruit before. 

Also, any suggestion for tropical fruit trees that can thrive in Zone 10a is welcome. Trees that I have now are a Pixie Mandarin, a Reed Avocado, a Kohala longan, a Stella cherry, a white flesh nectarine tree (unknown variety), a yellow-skin pomegranate gifted by a friend.

Dan

I would keep the tree but graft it.  McDill isn't that great of a variety, though it is large fruited.  Vernon is a good variety that will bear within a year of grafting, and others (Walton, Rainbow, etc.) are good and worth the wait.  And the fruit doesn't cause drowsiness -- there are some inaccurate articles on the Internet that mix up the seeds and leaves and fruit.  (The seeds and leaves do cause drowsiness -- I know of a guy who made a tea from the leaves because he wanted to find out, and he said it knocked him out.)

I wouldn't bother with Chico Sapote/Sapodilla in Newark.  While you do have a good microclimate there, from experience growing it in the East Bay it's still going to be a long road getting it to grow, and getting it to fruit and then ripen that fruit is going to be really challenging.

If you don't have any Cherimoyas, you might get some -- they'll do well for you.  Macadamia is another good option for your area.  Bananas will do well if you are in a spot in Newark that is frost free.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 10:43:21 PM by barath »

DanNg

• US, CA, Newark, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 12:35:21 AM »
Hi Barath,

This is super helpful. I've given up on growing a Chico one. Thank you so much for your advices and recommendations. Will do further research on what to graft on this tree.

Hi everyone,

Dan

I would keep the tree but graft it.  McDill isn't that great of a variety, though it is large fruited.  Vernon is a good variety that will bear within a year of grafting, and others (Walton, Rainbow, etc.) are good and worth the wait.  And the fruit doesn't cause drowsiness -- there are some inaccurate articles on the Internet that mix up the seeds and leaves and fruit.  (The seeds and leaves do cause drowsiness -- I know of a guy who made a tea from the leaves because he wanted to find out, and he said it knocked him out.)

I wouldn't bother with Chico Sapote/Sapodilla in Newark.  While you do have a good microclimate there, from experience growing it in the East Bay it's still going to be a long road getting it to grow, and getting it to fruit and then ripen that fruit is going to be really challenging.

If you don't have any Cherimoyas, you might get some -- they'll do well for you.  Macadamia is another good option for your area.  Bananas will do well if you are in a spot in Newark that is frost free.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 04:30:46 AM »

Lol, so true.  I've seen this happen on other sites and groups far too often.  It's like buying a tree labeled "Fruit"  ;)
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

waxy

• San Jose, CA Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 12:49:59 PM »

Lol, so true.  I've seen this happen on other sites and groups far too often.  It's like buying a tree labeled "Fruit"  ;)

Some nurseries lose tags through transit, customers swapping tags for discounts among other things.
So they are unable to provide an accurate ID and end up with a generalized ID.
Why not take advantage of the situation and ask for a discount due to the inaccuracy ID of the tree, quid pro quo.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 03:56:20 PM »
That is simply awful and the worst thing possible in Nursery Business is Mis-Labeling. You don't win by getting a discount on a mislabeled fruit you find out about years down the line wasting time and inputs on .
No one is happy receiving a Hyundai when they asked for a Honda.

Some nurseries lose tags through transit, customers swapping tags for discounts among other things.
Why not take advantage of the situation and ask for a discount due to the inaccuracy ID of the tree, quid pro quo.

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2018, 12:27:56 PM »
wouldnt you be able to tell from the leaves ?

i have white sapote, and had a black sapote, green sapote, and also Mamey sapote
all had very different type leaves.
ive never had the chico sapote/sapodilla though.

That is simply awful and the worst thing possible in Nursery Business is Mis-Labeling. You don't win by getting a discount on a mislabeled fruit you find out about years down the line wasting time and inputs on .
No one is happy receiving a Hyundai when they asked for a Honda.

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2018, 08:55:46 PM »

4 million and one??  Really?  I've said at least a million times that it never pays to exaggerate! 
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2018, 09:03:31 PM »
Hi everyone,

Dan

Being from FL, the only input I can offer is to be careful and do your research.  Zone 10a in CA is NOT the same as zone 10a in FL.  FL has tons of humidity, while CA does not, plus we have a very wet rainy season, and you usually don't.  So - some mangos thrive in FL, but die in CA, and visa versa.  Same with avocados.  Spend a lot of time doing research, and ask on here.  The last thing you want to do is plant a tree, waste 3 years on it nursing it, only to give up and start over with something else - ask me how I know!  If you want to pick it up, I have a haas avocado you can have.
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

joehewitt

• Hilo, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2018, 03:58:15 PM »
4 million and one??  Really?  I've said at least a million times that it never pays to exaggerate!

That's where you're wrong, my friend. I was paid handsomely by the Sapote Growers Union for this exaggeration. Remember, a sapote a day keep the doctor away.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2018, 07:51:17 PM »

That's where you're wrong, my friend. I was paid handsomely by the Sapote Growers Union for this exaggeration. Remember, a sapote a day keep the doctor away.
That's the motto I go by Joe thanks for posting that motto to live by, Dan, keep your tree and graft on very good varieties like W. sapote=Vernon,Redlands,Pike,Rainbow, Malibu #3 etc,etc. plus you can prune your tree to keep it small ;)