Author Topic: Volcanic Eruption Probably Ended -- Seed Page Back Up  (Read 5417 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Volcanic Eruption Probably Ended -- Seed Page Back Up
« on: August 11, 2018, 03:44:33 AM »
Looks like the local volcanic eruption has probably ended after 95 days non stop. I have put my seed page back up. Will slowly build up my inventory again. Some current special offerings are:
Sapote de Mico (Pouteria torta subsp. gallifructa)
Kwai Muk
Pink Wampee (Clausena excavata)
Chempedak
You can see all price on the seed page http://fruitlovers.com/seedlist.html
Oscar

Stevo

• Australia Far North Queensland Cairns 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Volcanic Eruption Probably Ended -- Seed Page Back Up
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 04:03:05 AM »
Good news Oscar hope your trees and property didn't sustain too much damage
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 06:30:54 AM by Stevo »

00christian00

• Italy, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 04:19:56 AM »
Looks like the local volcanic eruption has probably ended after 95 days non stop. I have put my seed page back up. Will slowly build up my inventory again.

Woa, I thought you were closed due to the damage. Didn't know it was still going, crazy.
Hope you didn't have too much damage.

Restarting with a bang! Was looking for this for quite some time. Ordered.

miked

• Palm Beach
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 08:25:38 AM »
I am sure I am not the only one glad to see you back up and running. Best of luck!!

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 10:09:26 AM »
Glad to see you are back up Oscar! Sorry that you had to go through all of that.
- Mark

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 10:42:53 AM »
Good to hear Oscar, will be good for you to get seeds going again :P ;) 8)

Kritsada jugkrasen

• Thailand
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 12:18:10 PM »
I want Cupuacu seed a lot to Thailand. Please help me sir. Id line Kritsada756 Fb. Krit Jug  Thanks you very so much.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 01:24:07 PM »
Are these seeds from Hawaiian grown fruits?

Looks like the local volcanic eruption has probably ended after 95 days non stop. I have put my seed page back up. Will slowly build up my inventory again. Some current special offerings are:
Kwai Muk
Chempedak

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 04:00:29 PM »
Looks like the local volcanic eruption has probably ended after 95 days non stop. I have put my seed page back up. Will slowly build up my inventory again.

Woa, I thought you were closed due to the damage. Didn't know it was still going, crazy.
Hope you didn't have too much damage.

Restarting with a bang! Was looking for this for quite some time. Ordered.

Me too.
Moh'd

JandJPalms

• Kilauea, Kauai HI Z11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2018, 05:46:20 PM »
Kwai Muk
Chempedak
So happy to hear this!  I hope things are doing well at your farm.  I will be scoping out the site and placing an order!  :-)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2018, 03:57:43 AM »
Are these seeds from Hawaiian grown fruits?

Kwai Muk
Chempedak
All from my own fruits, except for Sapote de Mico, which is from Guatemala, but very fresh.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2018, 04:03:25 AM »
Thanks everybody for the good wishes. It's been a really trying, very strange, and at same time exciting 3 months. A lot of different emotions all running at same time. I will be glad when all this is over and can sort of get back to my "normal" life. I hope to be able to get my business back into gear and that this will  help me to get back things to normal. I appreciate your patience and understanding through all this.
Oscar

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2018, 03:49:40 PM »
Glad to hear you’re doing well Oscar.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2018, 07:12:34 PM »
Thanks again to everybody for tremendous response. Sorry to say that the Sapote de Mico is already sold out.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2018, 09:15:05 PM »
Thanks again to everybody for tremendous response. Sorry to say that the Sapote de Mico is already sold out.

glad u are getting back on your feet!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Chupa King

• Puna, Hawai'i
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2018, 11:28:18 PM »
Yay! Glad you will be able to continue to provide for the community with your rare collection of food.
Biodiversity is key.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2018, 10:58:01 AM »
Oscar, glad to see the misery over, and hope it never happens again.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2018, 06:13:20 PM »
fruitlovers  --- glad it's over and hopefully for 50 years at least. You dodged the lava but I was worried when the air got foul to toxic where you are

zzzzzz

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2018, 12:17:19 AM »
I didn't post about it cause it was too depressing watching all the plants go down hill. A combination of SO2 gas + acid rain (sulphuric acid) + very little sunlight, meaning very low photosynthesise levels, created havoc with most plants. It started with leaves getting burned along edges, some in middle, curling up, and dropping off.  Even some large trees, like the santol, became totally defoliated almost immediately.
The big worry was that this eruption would go on, as the USGS put it, for many months or years or even decades! Fortunately they were wrong. The negative effects were cumulative, so the worry was that a couple more months and most plants would be either dead or beyond recovery.
The amazing thing was once the black eruption plume cloud disappeared, and sunlight came back, almost all plants in ground immediately recovered. The santol, which was totally leafless for 3 months miraculously not only releafed, but started at same time blooming. Heaviest damage were to potted plants, especially the smallest ones. I should have put all potted plants under plastic cover. But i was busy trying to save my house and all my belongings in case of forced evacuation.
Good news is that it seems like some of the most noxious weed trees here, like strawberry guava, suffered the most, and most are dead. The state has been for decades trying to figure out how to get rid of them. Seems like all the myrtaceas are particularly susceptible to SO2. I had to cover some of my rare jaboticabas as they were getting totally defoliated.
Oscar

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2018, 11:07:11 AM »
Whoa Oscar, sorry to hear of damage to your plants and interesting to to hear how many of them responded. glad to hear your back in the growing groove because being on volcano watch must have been very stressful. Amazing results about strawberry guava i thought those things were pretty much in destructible. I like to use the wood for B.B.Q myself that's how I control it! hope all your plants recover well and grow even stronger ;) 8)

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2018, 12:05:12 PM »
I didn't post about it cause it was too depressing watching all the plants go down hill. A combination of SO2 gas + acid rain (sulphuric acid) + very little sunlight, meaning very low photosynthesise levels, created havoc with most plants. It started with leaves getting burned along edges, some in middle, curling up, and dropping off.  Even some large trees, like the santol, became totally defoliated almost immediately.
The big worry was that this eruption would go on, as the USGS put it, for many months or years or even decades! Fortunately they were wrong. The negative effects were cumulative, so the worry was that a couple more months and most plants would be either dead or beyond recovery.
The amazing thing was once the black eruption plume cloud disappeared, and sunlight came back, almost all plants in ground immediately recovered. The santol, which was totally leafless for 3 months miraculously not only releafed, but started at same time blooming. Heaviest damage were to potted plants, especially the smallest ones. I should have put all potted plants under plastic cover. But i was busy trying to save my house and all my belongings in case of forced evacuation.
Good news is that it seems like some of the most noxious weed trees here, like strawberry guava, suffered the most, and most are dead. The state has been for decades trying to figure out how to get rid of them. Seems like all the myrtaceas are particularly susceptible to SO2. I had to cover some of my rare jaboticabas as they were getting totally defoliated.

I feel your pain  :'(. I hope everything goes well for you
Moh'd

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2018, 07:07:47 PM »
Whoa Oscar, sorry to hear of damage to your plants and interesting to to hear how many of them responded. glad to hear your back in the growing groove because being on volcano watch must have been very stressful. Amazing results about strawberry guava i thought those things were pretty much in destructible. I like to use the wood for B.B.Q myself that's how I control it! hope all your plants recover well and grow even stronger ;) 8)
Thanks. Will be interesting to see what happens. These kind of events don't happen very often here. Last similar events were in 1955 and 1960. So not much experience with handling all of this, or how plants will react. I'm guessing that plants will come out stronger. There were tons of free volcanic tephra (cinder rock) and Pele's hair (silica threads). I think all these volcanic materials are good for the soil. But there was also a lot of acid rain which lowered pH of soil. I added 5000 pouns of calcium carbonate (crushed coral) to try to counteract that and raise pH. I think the plants will appreciate the added calcium. I'm trying also to apply extra fertilizers, mostly nitrogen, to compensate for 3 months of very little photosynthesis, loss of leaves, and general stress on the plants.
Oscar