Author Topic: are there any small black sapote  (Read 1349 times)

MarvelMango

• Bokeelia 10a
    • View Profile
are there any small black sapote
« on: August 13, 2017, 10:39:33 AM »
Are there any small/dwarf black sapote varietys or are they all big trees?
Quentin

dingaling

• Far Northern Australia zone 12B
    • View Profile
Re: are there any small black sapote
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 01:20:07 AM »
Maher is the smallest variety that I have seen. Fruit is somewhat drier than the Berniker and for my money not as flavoursome. We had 12 or so Maher trees and knocked them down to put some Avo's in but we have kept all our Berniker and Mossman variety trees.

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 04:23:03 AM »
For whatever reason my bernicker seems to want to grow along the ground. It's a pain. Because of this I have cut it back every year trying to build branch strength and structure. I have also moved it after a year in the ground and I have probably had it for 2.5 years. I have knocked the fruit off but it has flowered every year. Based on this I think you could probably keep it very small as long as it is big enough to bear fruit.

Keep in mind I haven't fruited it at this size, this is based just on what I have seen.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 04:29:14 AM by Ulfr »

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 05:51:46 PM »
marvel I think you seen my maher I think it is the largest fruit tree in the grove of any species tree and that's with hacking large limbs off reinking was my smallest but that not saying much also the shyest bearing it is more upright in growth but it is the sweetest.