Author Topic: broadleaf Papaya Update  (Read 18237 times)

carcarlo

• USA Florida Tampa
    • View Profile
Re: broadleaf Papaya Update
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2014, 11:38:11 AM »
Hi guys, would like to get a couple of seeds of the broad leaf, if someone is got some, will send you some of my seeds from the papaya that I have been growing them for about 15 yrs, it grows huge and produces some fruit in the 8 to 12 lb range, it has a deep yellow flesh and it is very sweet, only problem is it will grow and grow, mine right now is 21-22 feet tall,  that is a 61/2 feet tall fence next to the Papaya tree.
Carlos

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2014, 11:39:37 AM »
Nice looking Papaya. Where did you get those seeds guys?

carcarlo

• USA Florida Tampa
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2014, 12:05:27 PM »
The seeds were given to me by a friend who got them from  Cuba, about 15+ yrs. ago, I do not know what type of Papaya it is. I don't like Papayas that much , but I do give them away, they are just getting harder to get from the tree, because of the height.
Carlos

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2014, 01:11:25 PM »
Berto, how does the BL compare with Red Lady?

Carcarlo, couldn't you just cut the stem back to about 6 feet, and let it regrow skyward (as opposed to climbing a 30-ft ladder, eventually?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

carcarlo

• USA Florida Tampa
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2014, 02:06:12 PM »
Hey Gunnar, I just love looking at that thing , how big it really is, I have harvested right under 100 fruits from that tree, and I only take the biggest ones,besides it feeds all of the critters from the hood, so nothing lost , everybody and everything got to eat.
Carlos

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2014, 06:25:51 PM »
Jeff,
Broadleaf has a firmer flesh, and is as sweet as a red lady! I would say that overall they are a close tie! Broadleaf is prettier as a landscape item.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2015, 05:13:59 AM »
Here is an update of my broadleaf papaya. As you can see, the leaves are pretty broad. It's a beast and I have to removed side branches constantly. The tree has many admirers in the neighborhood who all stop to ask for seeds once the fruit ripens.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2015, 05:50:07 AM »
Bruce the fruit of that girl will be yellow fleshed and not as sweet as the bisex ones.The plant does look impressive and has the typical dark petioles and reddish veins.I think with reaction people have when they see it in the flesh and the abundance  of seeds the next generation will produce that BK papaya will soon be everywhere.It has taken so  little time for this papaya to expand its horizons from an apparently limited base.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2015, 10:16:12 AM »
Bruce the fruit of that girl will be yellow fleshed and not as sweet as the bisex ones.The plant does look impressive and has the typical dark petioles and reddish veins.I think with reaction people have when they see it in the flesh and the abundance  of seeds the next generation will produce that BK papaya will soon be everywhere.It has taken so  little time for this papaya to expand its horizons from an apparently limited base.

For me this papaya has been total disappointment. Two plants flowering non stop for six months (started to flower 8 months from seed), petioles never get dark red, never sets fruit. Does that mean those are male plants? One and final plant much slower growing started to flower, and petioles have been dark red from beginning. I guess I should expect fruit from this plant only?

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2015, 10:01:32 PM »
So is this broadleaf papaya avaiable in South Florida?Or seeds??? The papayas are a plus, just love the look of it. Very Avatarish

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2015, 12:11:45 AM »

For me this papaya has been total disappointment. Two plants flowering non stop for six months (started to flower 8 months from seed), petioles never get dark red, never sets fruit. Does that mean those are male plants? One and final plant much slower growing started to flower, and petioles have been dark red from beginning. I guess I should expect fruit from this plant only?

Mine took probably 18 months to start setting fruit. It flowered profusely with small fruit aborting from about 4 months old. If you look at the pic of the fruit (or the pics on the last page of the thread), you can see how many flowers there are compared to fruit. I gave it plenty of potash and organibor (boron) to improve the setting. But even then you can see its not heavy in bearing - though much heavier flowering than regular papaya, so I imagine there would be lots of fruit if you get the conditions and or nutrients right. Its a much nicer plant than the other papayas though and I'm happy to have it growing.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2015, 01:05:08 AM »

Mine took probably 18 months to start setting fruit. It flowered profusely with small fruit aborting from about 4 months old. If you look at the pic of the fruit (or the pics on the last page of the thread), you can see how many flowers there are compared to fruit. I gave it plenty of potash and organibor (boron) to improve the setting. But even then you can see its not heavy in bearing - though much heavier flowering than regular papaya, so I imagine there would be lots of fruit if you get the conditions and or nutrients right. Its a much nicer plant than the other papayas though and I'm happy to have it growing.

Ok, thanks, patience needed than. I kind of already made up my mind that will keep them as ornamental only, since no watering or care needed. I guess will reconsider now.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2015, 02:36:28 AM »

It's easy to tell male plants apart from female and hermaphrodite papayas. The males produce flowers far away from the central stalk. The females and hermaphrodites produce flowers right on the stalk.
Oscar

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2015, 10:02:35 AM »
Here is an update of my broadleaf papaya. As you can see, the leaves are pretty broad. It's a beast and I have to removed side branches constantly. The tree has many admirers in the neighborhood who all stop to ask for seeds once the fruit ripens.

wow

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2015, 10:15:50 AM »

It's easy to tell male plants apart from female and hermaphrodite papayas. The males produce flowers far away from the central stalk. The females and hermaphrodites produce flowers right on the stalk.

Hmm, what does it mean in my case? They are on central stalk, isn't? Everybody's pictures I've seen with fruits have dark red petioles. My never get red, flowering continuously for 6 months. My trees are taller with thicker trunk than anybody's I've seen. I don't think there is a problem with maturity.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2015, 05:28:44 AM »
Rytis yours is a bisex and they produce flowers for a while before the fruit stick.Maybe there was some outcrossing and that  explains the lack of dark petioles.Berto's  fruit and BMc's female look like the real deal.It seems some people are disappointed that this papaya has not lived up to expectations and others are really pleased with it.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2015, 05:42:56 AM »
Rytis yours is a bisex and they produce flowers for a while before the fruit stick.Maybe there was some outcrossing and that  explains the lack of dark petioles.Berto's  fruit and BMc's female look like the real deal.It seems some people are disappointed that this papaya has not lived up to expectations and others are really pleased with it.

Or maybe this red coloring has not been stabilized as a trait?
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2015, 05:45:32 AM »

Hmm, what does it mean in my case? They are on central stalk, isn't? Everybody's pictures I've seen with fruits have dark red petioles. My never get red, flowering continuously for 6 months. My trees are taller with thicker trunk than anybody's I've seen. I don't think there is a problem with maturity.

What it means in your case is that your plant can't be a male. I was responding to your previous statement that maybe your plant was a male and that is why it wasn't fruiting.
Oscar

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2015, 05:46:21 AM »

My seedlings look the same. Fruits are present but I havn't had a chance to taste them yet.
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

8ofGac

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2016, 02:33:41 PM »

For those who expressed interest in the true identity of the broadleafed papaya and the taste of the fruit,my enquiries have been anwered by the grower.Only one person in this country besides yours truely has them.The identity is Carica papaya 100%.The fruit are very sweet and orange fleshed in the style that locals would call a red.The growers claims they are one of the best of all to eat.

Hey,Mike T i sent you a pm ?

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2016, 02:35:18 PM »
Just a quick note on my posts above. My broadleaf did start holding fruits after 15 months or so constant flowering, doing nothing and being written off as ornamental. Now it's a fruit pumping machine. For some reason it took some time to get going.

8ofGac

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2017, 05:33:19 PM »
Hey, Mike T i sent you another pm, Message me back. Is there a better way of contacting you ?

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2017, 01:58:01 AM »
Is there someone who can send me some seeds?
Mike

JonathonForester

• Pinellas Co, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2017, 07:17:19 PM »
Jeff,
Broadleaf has a firmer flesh, and is as sweet as a red lady! I would say that overall they are a close tie! Broadleaf is prettier as a landscape item.

Hey Berto, is your tree still pumping out fruit? Any chance for seed?

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2017, 08:44:40 PM »
Jeff,

Hey Berto, is your tree still pumping out fruit? Any chance for seed?

I would also like a few seeds if you can spare some.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk