Author Topic: Pics of the garden and the first taste cultivated FL Prickly Pear  (Read 8401 times)

TriangleJohn

• View Profile
Re: Pics of the garden and the first taste cultivated FL Prickly Pear
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2014, 07:46:03 PM »
I was always told that fruit "skin" doesn't have stomates so any salt on the skin shouldn't be coming from transpiration - maybe from salt spray in the air???

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2014, 09:23:51 PM »
I was always told that fruit "skin" doesn't have stomates so any salt on the skin shouldn't be coming from transpiration - maybe from salt spray in the air???

The sodium taste was in the flesh area near the skin. I presume the plants could get some salt spray from the brackish river water about 1 mi away.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2014, 06:22:39 PM »
Nullzero, there's some action on the Torrence PCH#1 prickly pear cactus that I got from you. Right now there are 3 new developing buds on the top of three separate pads. I sure hope that some of them turn out to be a fruit. I now know when to remove the fruit from the cactus plant thanks to one of your photos above.

BTW, I'm curious about your 'Don's Giant' Guava tree that appears in one of your photos above, have you gotten any giant guavas from it? Or, perhaps the tree needs to grow some more. My curiosity stems from the fact that I have a 'Thai White' guava that is supposed to be giant, but although I've already had about 4 fruits from it in the last 2 years that it's been in the ground, I am still waiting for the giant.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2014, 07:57:12 PM »
Nullzero, there's some action on the Torrence PCH#1 prickly pear cactus that I got from you. Right now there are 3 new developing buds on the top of three separate pads. I sure hope that some of them turn out to be a fruit. I now know when to remove the fruit from the cactus plant thanks to one of your photos above.

BTW, I'm curious about your 'Don's Giant' Guava tree that appears in one of your photos above, have you gotten any giant guavas from it? Or, perhaps the tree needs to grow some more. My curiosity stems from the fact that I have a 'Thai White' guava that is supposed to be giant, but although I've already had about 4 fruits from it in the last 2 years that it's been in the ground, I am still waiting for the giant.

Leooel, I would love to see a photo update of the Prickly Pear, Torrance PCH#1. I am hoping the fruit turns out good for you (similar or better how I have tried it). You have fruit developing right? I actually think I picked the fruit about a week early, but not early enough to affect the flavor much.

The guava has not produced fruit yet. The guava is in a partly sunny location, and closer to an oak tree (so the growth is not as vigorous). I am hoping I see some flowers next year. Plan is to bag the fruits, if they are indeed larger. May use pantyhose or something similar material.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2014, 08:19:14 PM »
I am late to your picture party...and the yard looks great!  Are any of these trees flowering yet?

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2014, 04:42:50 PM »
where does this Torrance pch come from?  Thanks
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2014, 04:51:33 PM »
where does this Torrance pch come from?  Thanks

Opuntia sp. Torrance PCH#1, you can reference this thread on more info on it. Including location, fruit quality, and growing habits. http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=3935.0

The fruit of it is also used as my profile picture. It was field selected by me, after driving around and tasting many random prickly pears in SoCal.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2014, 10:54:17 PM »
The 'Torrance PCH#1' is a very good, if not the best, selection. Thanks to Nullzero, I've already tasted the fruit. After eating it, some kind of addiction kicked in and I was like: 'I need more, oh my, I need more!'  :)  It tasted fruity, 'kinda' 'watermellony.' The flavor caught me a bit off guard even though Nullzero had described it previously. I suppose that was because I had tasted cactus fruit before and the taste was nothing like this 'Torrance PCH#1' variety. Also, I was pleasantly surprised that even the seeds were 'kinda' soft and I could easily eat them, just as Nullzero had mentioned. I had been looking for a prickly pear like this for many years but to no avail, until Nullzero, out of the blue, came through for me; incredible but true story.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.