Author Topic: Looking to buy south african seeds  (Read 1498 times)

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
Looking to buy south african seeds
« on: July 09, 2019, 12:36:25 PM »
I am interested in Euclea Pseudebenus,Diospyros Lycioides var Lycioides( preferably) ,Dalbergia Obovata and Dalbergia Armata.
Pm with the prices.

mangolover143

• South Africa, Gauteng, Pretoria, 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Looking to buy south african seeds
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 12:52:57 PM »
Hi,
Have you contact one of our South African forum member whose name is stuartdaly88, he stays in Pretoria and he might be able to help you to locate the seeds you required.
Paul

RiversOFT

• St.augustine Florida United States
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 01:10:36 PM »
Try silver hill seeds
unless someone like you
Cares a whole awful lot
Nothing is going to get better,
It's not

mangolover143

• South Africa, Gauteng, Pretoria, 9b
    • View Profile

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 06:37:30 PM »
Thx for the recomandations.I looked on silver hill page and il send them an email to ask if they have Dalbergia Armata and Euclea Pseudebenus also.
Sunshine seeds doesnt have dalbergia armata and euclea pseudebenus in stock  and the ebay link with diospyros Lycioides i know it from 2 years ago.

Dimitry Fisher

• San Diego, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 01:03:33 AM »
Sunshine Seeds have been getting quite a few negative reviews:  https://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/3275/0/ , FYI.  If someone have a recent experience with them, either positive or negative, please let the forum know.

SilverHill seeds is great - I ordered from them before and got very good germination rates - but tragically Rachel and Rodney Saunders were murdered last year:  https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jun/15/british-botanist-rachel-saunders-body-south-africa  , so keep that in mind.  SilverHill is still active, so I'd order from them again for sure unless they decide to close.

Best regards
Dimitry

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 08:25:28 AM »
Thx for the recomandations.I looked on silver hill page and il send them an email to ask if they have Dalbergia Armata and Euclea Pseudebenus also.
Sunshine seeds doesnt have dalbergia armata and euclea pseudebenus in stock  and the ebay link with diospyros Lycioides i know it from 2 years ago.

Silver hill is constantly changing but now after the tragedy I dunno if the diversity will be the same😢
Rachel and her husband collected many of the seeds themselves and had knowledge that will no forever be lost....

That being said diospyros Lycioides is fairly common and they should have it.

May I ask what about these specific species caught your interest. I have tasted Lycioides for example and it was really nothing too special 😅 like I have one and I would get of someone was offering and didn't have but not sure I would seek them out first as SA has some better choices imo to look for first😉
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 01:29:48 PM »

Silver hill is constantly changing but now after the tragedy I dunno if the diversity will be the same😢
Rachel and her husband collected many of the seeds themselves and had knowledge that will no forever be lost....

That being said diospyros Lycioides is fairly common and they should have it.

May I ask what about these specific species caught your interest. I have tasted Lycioides for example and it was really nothing too special 😅 like I have one and I would get of someone was offering and didn't have but not sure I would seek them out first as SA has some better choices imo to look for first😉
I choose D.Lycioides because its called the monkey plum and baboons eat them.I think it should be good for humans  .Second reason its that subsp Lycioides is cold hardy.
Euclea Psudebenus looks also like a tough tree ,makes edible fruits and has beautifull wood.
Dalbergia Armata and Obovata are not fruit trees but i want them for my Dalbergia collection.I allready have D Melanoxyllon seedlings.
In the future ,if il have luck with south american Proteaceae,i will try somme proteaceae from South Africa as for the fruit trees ,il study them more.I tryed Deinbolia Oblongifolia but without success and i was interested in Papeea Capensis but ive read it takes too long to fruit and its not as cold hardy as i toght.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk