Author Topic: Calypso is a sensation that should be on KP  (Read 5223 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Calypso is a sensation that should be on KP
« on: November 05, 2012, 01:42:15 AM »
KP pollen with a sensation mother gives an offspring with firm flesh, that is hard to bruise and has good colour.Fortunately its flavor and size are closer to KP than sensation and its firmness,sweetness and lengthy shelf life make it 'one hot mango'.Unfortunately it is a mono.

In the Australian tradition of naming fruit after other parts of the world B74 sounded more like a bomber and became Calypso.It is protected by plant breeding rights and is on its way to the US like honey gold which will follow.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Calypso is a sensation that should be on KP
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 01:49:30 AM »
Looks good, im sure the mono seeds would be worthy of planting.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 06:54:47 AM »
Very nice looking mangoes.  Do you have any idea what type of chemical treatment they have received during the growing process(if any)? No indication of anthracnose whatsoever. If you know, where were they grown and under what conditions?
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 07:34:56 AM »
They are anthracnose resistant and receive no post harvest tresatment.I tried KP and Calypso this evening and KP is a way better eating mango with Calypso still a bit better than Sensation....its mother.They are grown around darwin at latitude 12 and 60 inches of rain a year.They are also commonly grown around Childers at about latitude 24 or 25 and around 55 inches a year.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 08:48:13 AM »
They are anthracnose resistant and receive no post harvest tresatment.I tried KP and Calypso this evening and KP is a way better eating mango with Calypso still a bit better than Sensation....its mother.They are grown around darwin at latitude 12 and 60 inches of rain a year.They are also commonly grown around Childers at about latitude 24 or 25 and around 55 inches a year.

These are some of the nicest looking mangoes I've ever seen.  What exactly makes the KP better? Which is sweeter? Which has a stronger flavor?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 10:37:58 AM »
Sheehan the pix do not do justice to their perfect shape and brilliant red and yellow skin.The flavor of KP is more complex,richer and sweeter than calypso which tastes blander, more acid and with fewer 'dimensions' than KP.Admittedly Sensation which is the mother is a very ordinary mango in terms of flavor and calypso is sweeter and more 'mangoey' than those.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 11:18:58 AM »
How does Calypso rank compared to other mangoes besides KP and Sensation? Would it be your top 10?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 02:43:01 PM »
Sheehan it would not be in my top 10 and according to my taste buds it is well behind mangoes in the NDM and okrung styles.I would lump it with keitt and kent in terms of flesh quality but ahead of brooks and palmer.The flesh is very firm and almost bruise proof.It may have the most appealing appearance of any mango I have seen.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 02:58:22 PM »
wow - the coolest looking fruit, Mike.  However I am a HUGE fan of Keitt, so if you lump it
in with them, I'm SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!

(again - I'm sensing more and more that the climate, humidity, water, soil, you name it,
seem to be factors in affecting taste.  It' s just got to be another aspect as to why there is such
variation in desirability, besides the obvious quirkiness of taste buds themselves....either that
or I have only indulged in the lower echelon of the mango empire -  ???)

Fang

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 03:59:08 PM »
Sheehan it would not be in my top 10 and according to my taste buds it is well behind mangoes in the NDM and okrung styles.I would lump it with keitt and kent in terms of flesh quality but ahead of brooks and palmer.The flesh is very firm and almost bruise proof.It may have the most appealing appearance of any mango I have seen.

Do you have any pics of it cut open? I really want to grow this mango now just because of its appearance. I wonder if anyone has it growing here in S FL.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 04:51:43 PM »
I understand the US licence is pending.It is pale inside and I could best describe the taste as like an under-ripe keitt.They look kinda fake and like plastic due to the colors being so vivid and due to the nature of the shiny skin.Sam ru du and honey gold are cv's I will try to show soon and pack way more punch thanCalypso which is the bimbo of the mango world. They are more 'hometown', 'keeping it real' and dependable varieties with class.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 05:13:42 PM »
Yep, Calypso is the true temptress of the mango world. Its a good mango, but not a great one. If you like a milder mango, she's your dream girl.
I find the taste like a very mild KP without the depth, acidity etc. My 1.5year old can eat them without making a face. That all changes a peak ripness, which seems to be a week either side of Christmas, when she turns into a world beater - coconut and vanilla comes from the clouds. Luckily, at that time the price has dropped to around $5 a box. It is hard to know exactly when they will be at their best though as they are such a perfect looking mango and hang on the tree for a long time, making it harder to get it at the perfect stage. It is firm and doesnt bruise when dropped from the top of the fridge.  ;) For the most part it is on par with the other bimbo - R2E2, but does have that tiny period where it gets really good.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 06:04:34 PM »
They have a very long shelf life and even when old they look good.I don't know if that makes them more of a bimbo or less.I wonder if any other mango can take as much of a beating and still have no bruises or blemishes.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 06:08:05 PM »
You guys apparently don't like bimbos much down under?
Tim

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 06:45:25 PM »
Perhaps that was a bad analogy.I have a soft spot for the colorful,generously proportioned and alluring.I naively think also, it is what's inside that counts with mangoes at least.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 02:05:44 AM »
Here is Calypso inside compared to Rabaul.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2012, 08:18:42 AM »
Nicely displayed and photographed, Mike.  Is the Calypso flesh always two tone as pictured or is that a ripening issue?
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2012, 09:55:51 AM »
When would be the best time of year to taste these KPs of which you speak?

Also, isn't Honey Gold a jackfruit?  And a potato?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2012, 02:57:34 PM »
mmd good KP's can be found between late october and march.The mango namers are not noted for their originality,relevance or sparkling wit in this neck of the woods.
That Calypso was a little underipe and hence the 2 tone.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2012, 04:41:01 PM »
Hi Mike,
Calypso looks freak'n awesome, nice colour 8) Rabaul is a giant :o The seed looks like a Persian Dagger 8)

THX for sharing :)

Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!