Author Topic: How do you prune your passionfruit vines?  (Read 2038 times)

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
How do you prune your passionfruit vines?
« on: November 19, 2014, 02:33:14 PM »
I have seen a bit of info online regarding how to prune your passiflora so they stay productive, but it seems to be a little conflicting.  I have heard they grow well on a fence, and atm my fence is covered.  I read it is good to prune about 1/3 of the vine, and then also read that all "limbs" should be trimmed way back.  I want the vine to be productive, but also want it to look nice (as it does currently).

Do you prune your vines?  If so, what has worked for you?

Thanks!
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
Re: How do you prune your passionfruit vines?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 03:37:24 PM »
Most of my passionfruit are growing up in the trees, but some on a trellis and fences.  I cut back the entire vine after approximately 2 years, after production has fallen, leaving a meter or two of the old vine above ground level and pulling off all the dead vines that I can.  If the dead vines are not cut out, some of the fruit get caught in it and are prevented from falling.  It's nearly impossible to remove the dead vines without cutting the whole vine back. 

Here's a trellis before and after pruning:
Before

After
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

jmc96

• Wallarah, NSW, Australia, Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 12:04:00 AM »
They flower on new wood so prune the laterals short from the main vine so the sap has a shorter path to the growing tips.

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 12:24:17 AM »
I am constantly cutting back my passionfruit - it grows and fruits like crazy.  Nothing I have done has slowed it down - most of the pruning I have done is at least 10' away from the main trunk.  Single vine is covering 40'+ of chainlink fence.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 09:47:32 PM »
I'm jealous! Passionfruit is one of my recent new obsessions.
I hope to grow a Maypop outdoors here....anyone out there growing this? I wonder how its taste compares to tropical varieties.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 12:03:27 PM »
I prune it almost to the ground this time of year. They take over so much space with no direct watering every year, and I want as much winter sun in the yard as possible.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk