Author Topic: Lychee erinose mite infested in Lee County, Florida  (Read 2048 times)

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
Lychee erinose mite infested in Lee County, Florida
« on: June 14, 2018, 09:50:25 PM »
One of my friends im Florida told me that the Dept of Agri are cutting down all Lychee trees in Lee County, Florida due to Aceria Litchu (lychee erinose mite) & Florida is in quarantined?

This was due to a guy who brought plants from China which were infested with the said mites. First citrus, now litchis. I hope they are able to control this problem or else, in a few years it will reach California &all over the Mainland US.

We Californians wont be seeing lychee's anytime soon on the nurseries unless thee existing. :(

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Lychee erinose mite infested in Lee County, Florida
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 10:03:24 PM »
Highly doubt they are cutting lychees down.

I did get a call from the ag dept asking if I had spotted this pest in our orchard.
Jeff  :-)

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 07:58:00 AM »
Like Cookie said, I doubt trees are being cut however this is not good that the quarantine limits have been expanded outside of the island.
- Marley

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 09:11:50 PM »
A few weeks ago the Florida Dept of Ag inspector told me they believed the mite is restricted to the north end of Pine Island, called Bokeelia. This Wednesday the FL. Dept of Ag stopped by my neighbor's Lychee grove and gave notice that all Bokeelia Lychee is under quarantine. I spoke to the inspector who was getting compliance agreements signed.
Movement of plant material off farms is prohibited, fruit can be shipped out of state or into Lee County only, but leaves and stems must be removed. The Erinose Mite creates a shelter which makes it resistant to any pesticide, so affected trees must be pruned of all affected growth which means heavy pruning. FLDept.of AG is seeking a contractor to provide major pruning of all existing trees, which should be followed up by spraying as regrowth occurs. This needs to be done as thoroughly and as close to simultaneously as possible across the affected area to prevent reinfection from untreated trees. That is the most up-to-date information I have.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 09:20:02 PM »
Interesting info. Thanks.

A few weeks ago the Florida Dept of Ag inspector told me they believed the mite is restricted to the north end of Pine Island, called Bokeelia. This Wednesday the FL. Dept of Ag stopped by my neighbor's Lychee grove and gave notice that all Bokeelia Lychee is under quarantine. I spoke to the inspector who was getting compliance agreements signed.
Movement of plant material off farms is prohibited, fruit can be shipped out of state or into Lee County only, but leaves and stems must be removed. The Erinose Mite creates a shelter which makes it resistant to any pesticide, so affected trees must be pruned of all affected growth which means heavy pruning. FLDept.of AG is seeking a contractor to provide major pruning of all existing trees, which should be followed up by spraying as regrowth occurs. This needs to be done as thoroughly and as close to simultaneously as possible across the affected area to prevent reinfection from untreated trees. That is the most up-to-date information I have.
Jeff  :-)

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 12:26:20 AM »
Scary, I hope they can get this under control.

Bill

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 05:17:35 AM »
The mites are on the branches and bark, so just removing leaves or spraying leaves won't get rid of them. The good news is that they don't kill the trees and they will continue to produce. Usually the production is just lowered, unless the infestation is really heavy.
Oscar

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 07:36:39 AM »
The mites are on the branches and bark, so just removing leaves or spraying leaves won't get rid of them. The good news is that they don't kill the trees and they will continue to produce. Usually the production is just lowered, unless the infestation is really heavy.

The word Erinose describing the mite comes from Erinea, which is an abnormal felty growth of hairs from the leaf epidermis of plants caused by the mites. When attacked by the mites, the leaf hairs (trichomes) undergo hyperplasia (enlargement) and the mites take refuge there and become difficult to treat chemically. It is similar to plants which, when attacked, respond by forming galls of various shapes.

Here is an infected tree  2 months ago in Maui, HI:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqnqFxOLeMU

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 06:14:45 PM »

The word Erinose describing the mite comes from Erinea, which is an abnormal felty growth of hairs from the leaf epidermis of plants caused by the mites. When attacked by the mites, the leaf hairs (trichomes) undergo hyperplasia (enlargement) and the mites take refuge there and become difficult to treat chemically. It is similar to plants which, when attacked, respond by forming galls of various shapes.

Here is an infected tree  2 months ago in Maui, HI:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqnqFxOLeMU

Wettable sulphur applied 3x one week apart over the WHOLE of the tree works pretty well.
Oscar