Author Topic: Watermelon  (Read 8510 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Watermelon
« on: August 08, 2018, 06:19:07 PM »
I never really cared for watermelons until growing my own.  They are so tastey and refeshing.  Everyone should grow them.  They are easy to grow and fast. 

Picked this beauty today.  23lb "desert king" watermelon.  We already picked a few and they are excellent.

"85 days. This watermelon produces 20-lb fruits that have a light pea-green rind that is resistant to sunburning. It is also one of the most drought-resistant varieties of watermelon known. It has sweet, yellow flesh and is very popular in the watermelon-growing areas of Arkansas. Good for storage."

Had the bottle of vodka leftover from thanksgiving a few years ago out in the garage fridge.  I think its a sign to mix the 2.

Brad Spaugh

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Watermelon
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 06:30:30 PM »
Watermelons are awesome. The Orangeglo, Hime Kansen and Hokkaido Black are some of my favorites.
I even tried grafted watermelons
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=10334.msg150673#msg150673

Simon

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 06:33:37 PM »
I got some 25lbs orangeglos that look amazing.  Few more weeks for the babies and it will be watermelon overload here.

What i would like to know is if my seeds will come true to type since I have many different types growing next to each other.  Anyone know?

Ive been dumping the rinds and seeds around my banana trees and now have a bunch of volunteer plants.  Im going to let a few of them go and see if I can get a late crop into October and November.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 06:35:35 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 06:42:56 PM »
I got some 25lbs orangeglos that look amazing.  Few more weeks for the babies and it will be watermelon overload here.

What i would like to know is if my seeds will come true to type since I have many different types growing next to each other.  Anyone know?

Ive been dumping the rinds and seeds around my banana trees and now have a bunch of volunteer plants.  Im going to let a few of them go and see if I can get a late crop into October and November.

doesnt hurt to experiment. those giants look amazing. I plan on making a trip down towards San Diego in two weeks with Frank, may try to see and stop by your orchard.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 10:14:08 PM »
Behl just send a message and let me know when.

Picked this orangeglo today 21lbs.  Easily the best melon Ive ever had.  Got a bunch more of these out on the hillside that are much larger.  Not sure if they will be as sweet as this box grown melon.

Brad Spaugh

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 10:22:58 PM »
Look great.  I'm curious what you mean by "box grown" -- are you using the technique where you grow the melon in a box to make it take a certain shape, like they do in Japan to make cube-shaped melons?  Or do you mean something else?

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 10:39:20 PM »
I loved my Sugar Baby melons. 

BTW, watermelon, especially juicing the rind, is high in L-citrulline, which is the precursor to L-arginine, a vasodilator

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 11:01:51 PM »
Look great.  I'm curious what you mean by "box grown" -- are you using the technique where you grow the melon in a box to make it take a certain shape, like they do in Japan to make cube-shaped melons?  Or do you mean something else?

Sorry I should have said raised bed.  The ones directly in soft earth with compost are getting larger.  The 2 I posted so far are out of raised beds.  I have limited flat space here and its all either on solid granite or been compacted with a bulldozer so for that area I have raised boxes.
Brad Spaugh

Lionking

• Covina, Ca. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 12:21:48 AM »
I never really cared for watermelons until growing my own.  They are so tastey and refeshing.  Everyone should grow them.  They are easy to grow and fast. 

Picked this beauty today.  23lb "desert king" watermelon.  We already picked a few and they are excellent.

"85 days. This watermelon produces 20-lb fruits that have a light pea-green rind that is resistant to sunburning. It is also one of the most drought-resistant varieties of watermelon known. It has sweet, yellow flesh and is very popular in the watermelon-growing areas of Arkansas. Good for storage."

Had the bottle of vodka leftover from thanksgiving a few years ago out in the garage fridge.  I think its a sign to mix the 2.

Hey Brad,
      Those look awesome!  Makes me want to give it a shot. 
Where did you purchase the seeds for them 2 varieties if I may ask?
I actually just had my first taste of yellow watermelon about 2 weeks ago and they were so good and sweet.  My mother in law purchased them at a Chinese market. 
She had it all cut up and in the fridge when I had arrived from work.  It hit the spot on a hot day!

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 12:24:57 AM »
Definitely go for the orangeglo, they are better than the desert kings although Im still experimenting with desert king and letting them grow longer.  They are harder to know when to pick. 

https://www.rareseeds.com/store/vegetables/watermelon/
Brad Spaugh

Lionking

• Covina, Ca. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2018, 12:28:31 AM »
Definitely go for the orangeglo, they are better than the desert kings although Im still experimenting with desert king and letting them grow longer.  They are harder to know when to pick. 

https://www.rareseeds.com/store/vegetables/watermelon/

Thanks buddy!
Definitely going too give it a shot! 

Lionking

• Covina, Ca. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2018, 12:40:24 AM »

Not sure of the variety but this here is a picture of the one I tried.  Not as dark yellow as yours.  More like a pineapple color

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2018, 12:54:31 AM »

Not sure of the variety but this here is a picture of the one I tried.  Not as dark yellow as yours.  More like a pineapple color

You might get an ID on it if you have a photo of the skin.  Ive grown a lot of types of melons and so far orangeglo is the winner.  Sugar baby, icebox from rene is good, crimson sweets I have growing but havent tried. Simon had a list of good ones in a thread.  Some Japanese types were there.  Im going to try the georgia rattlesnake and a few other types next year.  Maybe experiment growing some small types over fall and winter.

Enjoy
Brad Spaugh

Lionking

• Covina, Ca. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2018, 01:02:57 AM »

You might get an ID on it if you have a photo of the skin.  Ive grown a lot of types of melons and so far orangeglo is the winner.  Sugar baby, icebox from rene is good, crimson sweets I have growing but havent tried. Simon had a list of good ones in a thread.  Some Japanese types were there.  Im going to try the georgia rattlesnake and a few other types next year.  Maybe experiment growing some small types over fall and winter.

Enjoy

So here is a small piece that I found.  Like I mentioned,  don’t know the variety but it was oh so sweet.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2018, 09:44:27 AM »
Those are some amazing melons! Going to give orangelo a try, but not sure where to place. About how many hours of direct sun do the plants need to produce well?

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2018, 10:17:35 AM »
Great watermelon photos. Wish I had the space to grow them. I had a seed come up (volunteer) out of the mango tree mulch and it spread watermelon vines all over my lawn. I eventually got a non ripe 12" long watermelon. I juiced it

I always juice watermelon rind with my green power juicer.  Chill the juice and I am sure it would be good for mixed alcohol drinks.  These inferior effin seedless watermelons have so much rind that you are throwing away 33% of your purchase price if you don't put the rind to work. Some pickle it.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2018, 10:37:04 AM »
Those are some amazing melons! Going to give orangelo a try, but not sure where to place. About how many hours of direct sun do the plants need to produce well?
Rob theres a link to the seed bank in reply #9

Its called baker creek seeds.  Www.rareseeds.com

You want to get those plants out into full sun preferably.
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2018, 10:51:06 AM »
Great watermelon photos. Wish I had the space to grow them. I had a seed come up (volunteer) out of the mango tree mulch and it spread watermelon vines all over my lawn. I eventually got a non ripe 12" long watermelon. I juiced it

I always juice watermelon rind with my green power juicer.  Chill the juice and I am sure it would be good for mixed alcohol drinks.  These inferior effin seedless watermelons have so much rind that you are throwing away 33% of your purchase price if you don't put the rind to work. Some pickle it.

I thought about growing seedless but yeah thry probably cant tough an heirloom for taste.

To get seedless they cross 2 types of melon and the seeds of the resulting fruit make seedless melons.  BUT you also need to grow a pollinator next to the seedless plant.  Seems like kind of a pain. 

My wife cubes the melon and removes the seeds so its kind of like seedless.
Brad Spaugh

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2018, 05:22:48 PM »

Sorry I should have said raised bed.  The ones directly in soft earth with compost are getting larger.  The 2 I posted so far are out of raised beds.  I have limited flat space here and its all either on solid granite or been compacted with a bulldozer so for that area I have raised boxes.

Do you have a photo of the bed? How big? How tall? How long did it take from planting the seeds to getting that fruit?
Thanks a lot!

Trung

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2018, 06:38:03 PM »
Trung, the beds are 4ft x 8ft x 1ft tall.  If you buy three 2"x12"x8ft lumbers you can cut one in half to make the 4ft end pieces.  Its just a rectangular box a foot tall filled with compost, dirt, food scraps, fertilizer, what you can throw at it.

You dont really need raised beds even, watermelons like just a big mounds of compost and rich soil.  They are heavy feeders.  I used a lot of compost and some avocado fertilizer to start then a potasium nitrate with minors fertilizer once and a potassium heavy slow release for the fruiting stage.  You can throw a lot of fertilizer at them if you have good sun and good dirt they will take it. And lots of water. 

It takes a month to get seeds going in April and then transplant them in May or June and melons are ready in August.  The fruiting times are listed on all the types in the link I posted.  It looks like my vines are setting more fruit now so assuming they dont get any disease they will probably produce for 2 or 3 more months.

Brad Spaugh

mike rule

• karrabin qld australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2018, 06:45:48 PM »
I currently using the following seedless varieties....Carbine & Green Moon with the pollinator Wildcat....... Always get great tasting melons.....Mike

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2018, 06:50:27 PM »
These ones are just put right in the hillside.  Dig holes, mix in about half yard of compost for 8 holes.  Throw some slow fertilizers and innoculants in the mix.  Maybe cover in mulch.  Keep feeding (lots of potassium and minors once fruiting) and heavy water and 10 to 12 weeks later you have lots of melons.

Brad Spaugh

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2018, 10:27:49 AM »
Nice! Watermelon patch photos! You have the space to let the vines run.
Two days ago I bought a seedless one at Aldi for $3.20. It had  a label on it grown in Indiana. Watermelons must be a big business to ship them them 1100 miles and sending them south to Florida?? It was sweeter than others this summer. My guess is it weighed 16lbs.
For the last 6 weeks Aldi has been selling seedless for $3.00. Walmart was doing the same but more intermittently. The only seeded one I was able to buy this year was at Walmart.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 10:32:30 AM by zands »

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2018, 09:28:31 PM »
Brad, those watermelons are growing at an amazing rate. Every time I come over, they gain at least several pounds. Those Oranglo are one of my favorites.

Simon

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2018, 09:57:08 PM »
Thanks Brad, ordered orangelos and other seeds yesterday. Might be a bit late in the year, but going to give it a try. Next year will start on-time.