Author Topic: Earthquake on big island Ha. made new eruption Pahoa evacuated !!  (Read 52881 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Earthquake on big island Ha. made new eruption Pahoa evacuated !!
« Reply #225 on: June 07, 2018, 04:25:59 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAW1kAUN4qw&feature=youtu.be

Irony alert: when I went to watch this video, the ad YouTube decided to show was of a giant volcano erupting in the movie Jurassic World.  :Þ
Bigger irony, some of the scenes for Jurassic World were shot here in Kalapana.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #226 on: June 07, 2018, 04:49:35 AM »
In this video nurseryman explains huge loss to potted plant and orchid industry due to loss of Kapoho. Both he and his wife ran nurseries, had several properties, and are now homeless.
http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2018/06/06/video-residents-mourn-sudden-loss-of-kapoho/
Oscar

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 07, 2018, 06:41:16 AM »
Whenever I'm scrolling around the area on Google Maps - which puts icons on businesses  - I kept seeing nursery after nursery in the path that the lava took.

Now I keep seeing videos popping up on YouTube now - very few views, just posted by random people, not professional "YouTubers" - of the place they used to live before it got wiped out, wanting people to see how beautiful it once was.  And one thing that stands out is all of the care that went into the plants, even from people who weren't running nurseries. On one, filmed just after the eruption started, you could see a couple little saplings, still staked down, having clearly been planted recently.  Surrounded by mature, well-cared-for growth. You can't just "rebuild" that environment like you can rebuild a house....  :(
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 06:48:49 AM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #228 on: June 07, 2018, 06:13:39 PM »
Whenever I'm scrolling around the area on Google Maps - which puts icons on businesses  - I kept seeing nursery after nursery in the path that the lava took.

Now I keep seeing videos popping up on YouTube now - very few views, just posted by random people, not professional "YouTubers" - of the place they used to live before it got wiped out, wanting people to see how beautiful it once was.  And one thing that stands out is all of the care that went into the plants, even from people who weren't running nurseries. On one, filmed just after the eruption started, you could see a couple little saplings, still staked down, having clearly been planted recently.  Surrounded by mature, well-cared-for growth. You can't just "rebuild" that environment like you can rebuild a house....  :(
Yes there were lots of nurseries in Kapoho, Leilani, and in Pohoiki. Also very many beautiful gardens created by people trying to carve out their own version of paradise. There were also some world class collection of plants. For example, in Leilani there was the palm collection of the president of International Palm Society. Not sure if that property was flowed over or not. I hope not as it was one of a kind palm collection, a real gem.
Oscar

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #229 on: June 07, 2018, 08:44:57 PM »
So this tragedy has us focusing on a rather small area of the Big island and some of the many things that were going on there.  I realize that Kona has a very different climate, not appropriate for many of the projects that have been lost with this event.  But what about the other side of Hilo?  Are there lots of projects over there, and if not, why?
Interested,
Peter

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 07, 2018, 09:07:13 PM »
So this tragedy has us focusing on a rather small area of the Big island and some of the many things that were going on there.  I realize that Kona has a very different climate, not appropriate for many of the projects that have been lost with this event.  But what about the other side of Hilo?  Are there lots of projects over there, and if not, why?
Interested,
Peter

Cost of land mainly, its much cheaper per acre down in Puna then in Hilo and north of Hilo.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #231 on: June 08, 2018, 01:41:24 AM »
Interested,
Peter
North of Hilo is called the Hamakua coast. I have an orchard there myself. And yes there are nurseries there also. North of Hilo is geologically a lot older area, so there is real soil there, not just lava rock. So it's actually a lot more ideal for growing plants. But as someone just posted, the land is very costly, and also the lots are very large, as in 25 acres or larger.
Oscar

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 08, 2018, 08:03:38 PM »
Latest map.  Just a slow expansion across a broad front.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 10:19:29 PM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #233 on: June 09, 2018, 12:20:28 AM »
What you probably don't realize from that map is that the "slow" expansion has added more than 1.3 miles to the coast line. In other words, the property lots that used to be adjacent to the ocean are now 1.3 miles from the ocean. There is a huge lava delta that has formed.
Oscar

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 09, 2018, 12:25:26 AM »
Do the owners get to extend property line to new expansion?

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 09, 2018, 07:26:19 AM »
What you probably don't realize from that map is that the "slow" expansion has added more than 1.3 miles to the coast line. In other words, the property lots that used to be adjacent to the ocean are now 1.3 miles from the ocean. There is a huge lava delta that has formed.

Not at all playing down the magnitude of what's happened overall - not by any stretch.  Just talking about how much less it's expanded in the past few days than in previous days.  Deeper water, broader front, lower flow rate out of fissure 8.

At some point in the future, the flow rate will drop to the point where it can no longer sustain this long of a flow path, and expansion in the "bay" will cease - potentially replaced by another, shorter flow elsewhere.  It'd be pretty remarkable if the current flow could expand further east than Cape Kumukahi, but I really doubt that's going to happen.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 07:38:18 AM by KarenRei »

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 09, 2018, 10:27:08 AM »
One member from Forum Bananas were i post lost everythind he and his family have...

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 09, 2018, 10:38:24 AM »
One member from Forum Bananas were i post lost everythind he and his family have...
If you can make a donation thru Alva's wife Paypal Account which is Mommyinthegarden@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #238 on: June 09, 2018, 06:23:05 PM »
If you can make a donation thru Alva's wife Paypal Account which is Mommyinthegarden@gmail.com
Nice young couple. Very sad to see them lose the new house they had just built, and all the plants they had put in.
Oscar

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 09, 2018, 06:24:16 PM »
I believe that Alva was also active on this forum from time to time as "chupa king".

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #240 on: June 09, 2018, 06:25:34 PM »
No they retain their original boundaries. If what you suggest happened than their property would increase 100x or more.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #241 on: June 09, 2018, 06:26:42 PM »
I believe that Alva was also active on this forum from time to time as "chupa king".
Not sure, but i will ask him.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #242 on: June 09, 2018, 06:32:09 PM »

Not at all playing down the magnitude of what's happened overall - not by any stretch.  Just talking about how much less it's expanded in the past few days than in previous days.  Deeper water, broader front, lower flow rate out of fissure 8.

At some point in the future, the flow rate will drop to the point where it can no longer sustain this long of a flow path, and expansion in the "bay" will cease - potentially replaced by another, shorter flow elsewhere.  It'd be pretty remarkable if the current flow could expand further east than Cape Kumukahi, but I really doubt that's going to happen.
I wish your guess would be true, but there is no good reason to believe so. We're only one month in, and the '55 flow lasted 3 months. Fissure 8 is still putting out lava fountains over 200 feet tall. It could go on for a much longer time, or it could all stop tomorrow. Nobody has the slightest inklling of knowledge on this.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 09, 2018, 07:00:57 PM »
In most places the government owns extra land created.http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-08/hawaii-volcano-eruption-now-its-worst-on-record/9849540

Oscar, are you going to wait for all the disruptions to ease and take stock of things before getting the business back running at capacity like before?

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 09, 2018, 07:03:09 PM »
No they retain their original boundaries. If what you suggest happened than their property would increase 100x or more.

That's unfortunate.  Here I'm pretty sure that property owners land actually gets extended (not just from lava flows, but also jökulhlaup, which are volcanic glacial outburst floods carrying massive amounts of sediment... sort of like "temporarily add a flood-stage Amazon River to the country").

New map - even smaller changes (although they're just showing one day of flows this time, not two). Also, the increasing depth of the water could be distorting how much material is actually being laid down.

They've now added in a dashed line for the former coastline, which is helpful.

Hopefully she'll lay down a lot of material just below the waves.  Some new shallows that can be recolonized over time.  Fresh nutrients and unoccupied habitats for life. New formations for divers to see.

Yeah, I'm trying to see the positives here, I really am  ;)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 07:10:06 PM by KarenRei »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #245 on: June 09, 2018, 11:56:42 PM »

That's unfortunate.  Here I'm pretty sure that property owners land actually gets extended (not just from lava flows, but also jökulhlaup, which are volcanic glacial outburst floods carrying massive amounts of sediment... sort of like "temporarily add a flood-stage Amazon River to the country").

New map - even smaller changes (although they're just showing one day of flows this time, not two). Also, the increasing depth of the water could be distorting how much material is actually being laid down.

They've now added in a dashed line for the former coastline, which is helpful.

Hopefully she'll lay down a lot of material just below the waves.  Some new shallows that can be recolonized over time.  Fresh nutrients and unoccupied habitats for life. New formations for divers to see.

Yeah, I'm trying to see the positives here, I really am  ;)

The amount of material being laid down is still massive. Forget how many millions of cubic yards per day was quoted. Yes a lot of the material is going into very deep water so doesn't show up on that map.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #246 on: June 10, 2018, 12:04:44 AM »
In most places the government owns extra land created.http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-08/hawaii-volcano-eruption-now-its-worst-on-record/9849540

Oscar, are you going to wait for all the disruptions to ease and take stock of things before getting the business back running at capacity like before?
Not sure yet. For a long time everything was so unstable. I wasn't even sure that i could drive to post office to mail things off. Or even that my area would be evacuated while i was at the post offcie. Right now i'm feeling a lot better because a couple of alternative roads have been opened up. So at least don't think i will be trapped in here. They're even talking of putting in large portable generators should the flow take out the power lines to our area. I will try to resume service as soon as possible. Today i spent the whole day mowing. Had not done that for about 6 weeks. I also lost my employees as they are not allowed to drive into this area. My road is closed to all through traffic, only residents with proof or residence, are allowed in.
Oscar

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 10, 2018, 07:26:47 PM »
New map.  Small amount of movement in Leilani, for the first time in over a week.  :Þ

If it does start significantly flowing there, I'm not sure what path it would take.  There's a bit of a ridge at Lava Tree, and it's blocked off on the downhill (eastern) end by the northern lobe of the current flow.  I'm not sure if any new lava would  flow over the ridge and/or the northern lobe, or go around the ridge to the north, closer to Nanawale.

The northern lobe points to the slope of the ground in that direction - northeast.  At Nanawale the slope is aligned with the roads, generally north-northeast.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 07:34:58 PM by KarenRei »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #248 on: June 10, 2018, 08:03:31 PM »
That very small amount of lateral movement in Leiani is in a different area from the area feared levee could break, which is close to intersection of 132 and Pohoiki road. If  levee broke it could flood the area known as Lava Tree park, which is on 132. Nanawale is not in any danger. Look at lines of steepest descent (blue lines on map). Any flow there would take the lava just east of Nanawale and cross Government Beach road on the coast. Problem with that is that such a fllow would block escape route to 2 more different communities, Papaya Farm Road and Waa Waa.
Oscar

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 10, 2018, 08:37:15 PM »
That very small amount of lateral movement in Leiani is in a different area from the area feared levee could break, which is close to intersection of 132 and Pohoiki road. If  levee broke it could flood the area known as Lava Tree park, which is on 132. Nanawale is not in any danger. Look at lines of steepest descent (blue lines on map). Any flow there would take the lava just east of Nanawale and cross Government Beach road on the coast. Problem with that is that such a fllow would block escape route to 2 more different communities, Papaya Farm Road and Waa Waa.

So do you think it would flow over the ridge at Lava Tree, or over the north lobe?  Because both of those present somewhat of a barrier to flow.

https://www.google.is/maps/@19.4851424,-154.900583,15.21z/data=!5m1!1e4

If you turn on satellite and see that farm and those white-roofed buildings southeast of Lava Tree Inn - the farm and all but one of those buildings has been flowed over by the north lobe.  It reaches all the way to that ridge on the north side of Lava Tree.  So do you think that the lava would flow over the ridge, or over the north lobe?  I'm not so sure that's the easy way downhill.  Might be, but it's not clear to me that it is.

If it can't get through there, then the easiest flow path is north.  Which is closer to Nanawale than is comfortable.

Regardless of what it does, I'm not so sure it could make it all the way to Government Beach Road.  That's a pretty long flow, and this isn't a new eruption anymore.

Anyway, hoping that this hypothetical becomes irrelevant and that the current ocean entries continue to be the main flow path...

« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 09:23:56 PM by KarenRei »