Author Topic: yellow muntingia calabura  (Read 5626 times)

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
yellow muntingia calabura
« on: September 01, 2016, 09:34:40 PM »
Does anyone have this tree? I am interested in cuttings and/or seeds.
THANKS
Mike

robinhood

• Australia,QLD, brisbane
    • View Profile
Re: yellow muntingia calabura
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 10:18:41 PM »
I only have pink fruited , didnt know there was a yellow

jmc96

• Wallarah, NSW, Australia, Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 08:24:33 AM »
I bought some seeds of a white variety from Hawaii a couple of years ago, the tree is now over 9ft and hasn't fruited yet.

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 12:07:24 AM »
I bought some seeds of a white variety from Hawaii a couple of years ago, the tree is now over 9ft and hasn't fruited yet.

Pics pf the fruit and tree? Ty

cfinley

• Vista, CA 10a / 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 02:15:06 AM »
Yet another variety I didn't know existed but now I need to have lol

jmc96

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 07:23:13 AM »

Pics pf the fruit and tree? Ty
Sure, I'll take some pics as soon as I can, not getting home before dark most days, but the tree looks identical to the red variety. I'm hoping for some flowers this year. I think the seeds originally came from Hawaii.

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 07:00:41 AM »
has anyone propagated any of these ? (any color?)
especially by cutting or air-layer ?
I tried 2 cuttings once and they both grew a fungus and withered away
i tried 2 air layers and both failed.

I heard they are very hard from seed
and obviously the seeds are tiny and would take forever.
and i hear from seed they dont grow out easily.

jmc96

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 07:36:10 AM »
I fluked a cutting once and once only, but I'm led to believe they are propagated by cutting, probably under heat and mist and the cutting would have to be just at the right maturity. My mail order nursery has no problems propagating them, but I don't know how. The two white seedlings I have (9ft tall) are two years old from seed and no sign of flowers. I ordered them from  Hawaii I think, not 100% sure. We are entering spring here and I'm hoping like mad it'll flower and fruit this year. Someone on here said the white are more cold tolerant than the red variety, I have no personal experience with that just yet.

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 08:16:15 AM »
In the Phils my gramps used to airlayer them (red muntingia) - using pure sphagnum moss. It takes about 2-3 months after the roots first begin to show before it's safe to cut them off and plant separately. After being put in individual pots (manure, perlite and sphagnum potting mix) they do better under the shade of the mother tree - water thoroughly only when the pot gets light. Poking fingers in the soil to test whether the medium is dry harms the roots (I killed a lot off that way). It's a good shade tree for a fenced in area for chooks and other poultry - they love eating the fallen berries. Plus it grows to a decent shade tree within just a year of being planted in ground. He also used them as a living fence in the veggie garden - they're easy to train as a trellis for climbing peas and cukes and don't seem to mind constant pruning.
Diggin in dirt and shifting compost - gardeners crossfit regime :)

cfinley

• Vista, CA 10a / 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 06:09:10 AM »
I've cloned from semi-hardwood cutting. It was about pencil thick, 16" long with a few small side branches forming near the tip. I just let the cut end soak in a cup of water for a while (maybe a day?) then re-cut the end at a sharp angle, lightly scraped the bottom 6" of bark with a serrated steak knife, rubbed clonex all over the tip and scratched bark, and stuck it in a gallon pot of soil. It dropped a few leaves and looked really sad , I thought it was going to dry out and die until one day it started pushing out new leaves. I think I started the cuttings in June and by mid August it had resumed growing steadily enough I felt confident it was strong enough to give it to a friend. He said it did quite well after they put it in the ground, until their gardener came and pulled it because thought it was a weed  >:(

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 09:29:14 PM »

I've been air layering reds for a couple years now and I have to say they are one of the easiest trees to propagate.  Every layer has easily rooted at various times of the year.
- Marley

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2016, 09:32:39 PM »
In the Phils my gramps used to airlayer them (red muntingia) - using pure sphagnum moss. It takes about 2-3 months after the roots first begin to show before it's safe to cut them off and plant separately. After being put in individual pots (manure, perlite and sphagnum potting mix) they do better under the shade of the mother tree - water thoroughly only when the pot gets light. Poking fingers in the soil to test whether the medium is dry harms the roots (I killed a lot off that way). It's a good shade tree for a fenced in area for chooks and other poultry - they love eating the fallen berries. Plus it grows to a decent shade tree within just a year of being planted in ground. He also used them as a living fence in the veggie garden - they're easy to train as a trellis for climbing peas and cukes and don't seem to mind constant pruning.

Are you sure it wasn't 2-3 wks?  That has been my experience at least.
- Marley

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2016, 09:49:32 PM »
Last year I bought seeds off ebay from someone in Thailand. 50 seeds for 1.99 including shipping! Why not?
I read an article and the guy suggested germinating them in a southern window. I then read an old post from Oscar that said full sun.
I split the seeds up in a window and full sun. Sure enough the only seeds that sprouted were in full sun ( Thanks Oscar ) I must of ended up with over 100 seeds and my little pots looked like a chia. They didn't look like muntingia and I wondered if they were weeds. Meanwhile the guy in Thailand kept asking me for positive feedback. What the hell 1.99 so I gave him his feedback. All last winter they slowly grew but they sure didn't look like muntingia. I also picked up a 3 gallon tree last fall from fruitscapes that was grown from a cutting. I even ate a few fruit before the winter shut it down. The plant grown from a cutting was less then 2' tall. I planted it in the spring in the ground and today it is over 7 feet tall and probably the same wide. I eat 10-20 fruit every day all summer long since mid May. Meanwhile last spring the plants grown from seed are thinning out and I had about 10 left around 4-6 inches tall in individual pots. One of them sort of took off and I put it in a 3 gallon pot. The trunk still look like a weed and I asked several people and no one was certain what the hell it was. I ended up with 3 plants that made it and I put the one that took off in the ground. The trunk finally hardened up and it looked like a muntingia. Today it is 7 foot tall and 3 feet wide and after flowering the last month it is holding one fruit. One year old! I have one in a 7 gallon that is pushing 5' and I gave one away. The one in the 7 gallon is my insurance if my 2 trees in the ground freeze this winter.  I also had a volunteer at the bottom of the cutting tree and when I pulled it up it had roots. I put it in a 7 gallon and it seems ok.
 When I got the tree from fruitscapes that was grown from a cutting the cutting was as big as my pinky around. It was not rooted from a smaller branch?  I plan to always have a backup tree in a pot before winter. I live in 9b and it can get cold once in awhile.
Mike

robinhood

• Australia,QLD, brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2016, 10:38:59 AM »
Is there any difference in flavor between red , yellow and white fruit? And anyone have the yellow or white
Fruit would love to have a crack at growing them

cfinley

• Vista, CA 10a / 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2016, 10:45:56 AM »
Even if they tasted the same, yellow or white would probably stand a better chance against the birds... they seem to leave my golden rasp and yellow alpine strawberries alone, guessing because they don't look ripe

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2016, 08:45:01 PM »

I have been rooting cuttings of this and it's actually been really easy.  I just take cuttings, dip very briefly in rooting hormone, and stick in a mix of peat and perlite.  Then just put in a warm, humid environment and water daily.  I don't even remove leaves.  The cuttings will usually start growing in a few weeks and will have enough roots within about 2 months.  Then you can repot.  I've probably had 80-90% success doing it this way.

jmc96

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2016, 08:08:57 AM »
Just located the member from whom I sourced the white Panama berry seeds from in Oct 2014:
micah, he hails from Waipio Valley, Hawaii, USA.
It'd be great to get some more.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk