Author Topic: Mango varieties sold by PIN  (Read 5450 times)

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Mango varieties sold by PIN
« on: January 11, 2014, 01:03:18 PM »
Does anyone have an updated list of current mango varieties produced/sold by PIN?
There appears to be at least one or more mango varieties that are or will be available for sale that are not in the published PIN mango viewer list.
1) PIN's mango viewer shows 39 mango varieties in pictures, but their list on the right of the mango viewer identifies only 38.  Pim Saen Meun was left accidentally off the right side listing.
2) I recall that Bendersgrove said Galaxy (Keitt cross) is a new mango variety that will be for sale in the Spring 2014.
3) Yesterday, I was made aware by Champa Nursery (El Monte, CA) that Coconut Cream (Edwards crossed with Gary) is available for purchase from PIN, but I did not see this on their website.
Just wondering if there are any more unlisted PIN varieties that we can ask SoCal nurseries to purchase in the Spring.

Thanks.

Warren
Warren

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
Re: Mango varieties sold by PIN
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 01:10:07 PM »
We have new trees at PIN coming all the time, it is best to call or email your wish list when you can and they will be happy to tell you what is available, if you need trees shipped remember that outside Florida there will be no shipping till spring. Mike

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 01:12:17 PM »
I know we do have Sunrise mango in stock also, that is a new Zills variety.

wslau

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 02:34:33 PM »
Mike,

A Zill variety...interesting.
Ok, I'll email PIN to see if they do or will carry Lemon Zest, Maha Chanok, and others.
Thanks.

Warren
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 05:48:31 PM by wslau »
Warren

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 03:15:00 PM »
Mike,

A Zill variety...interesting.
Just wondering...is Maha Chanok or Lemon Zest at PIN?
Thanks.

Warren

Pine Island is well run and has always answered my emails in a timely manner, such as just last week. Mango availability and in what size is best answered by email I would think. The shipping and phytosanitary certificate California are what kills you so prolly good to get a few 7 gallon mangoes, not just 3 gallon. Any maybe a group order

wslau

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 09:18:37 PM »
Pine Island is well run and has always answered my emails in a timely manner, such as just last week. Mango availability and in what size is best answered by email I would think. The shipping and phytosanitary certificate California are what kills you so prolly good to get a few 7 gallon mangoes, not just 3 gallon. Any maybe a group order

I now can agree.  I had a question on the Sunset mango and the PIN staff were wonderful and persistent in getting an answer/response from both Dr. Richard Campbell and Zills.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 09:20:52 PM by wslau »
Warren

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 02:47:30 AM »
Warren,

Not trying to bust any ones business. But PIN shipping rate and pricing to California is Ludicrous   

" due to the strict regulations imposed by California we charge an additional 50% of the plant cost as a California Compliance Fee. We also charge $55 for the phytosanitary certificate which is a flat fee for a State DPI inspection no matter the quantity of plants. For commercial orders the phytosanitary fee is $75 and the 50% California Compliance Fee and other restrictions do apply"

they only ship 3 gallons via fedex as well... I just purchased  a 3g LZ, 3g Coconut Cream, 7g Sweet tart, 3g Pina Colada, 7g Nam Doc Mai, 7g Edward, 7g Carrie, and a 7g Malika from Top Tropicals at about ahlf the price PIN would have charged, And I don't even see any of the new designer Zill varieties listed on their page.   

This is a no brainer.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

wslau

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 03:48:52 AM »
ClayMango,

Yes...definitely true if you try to buy directly (retail) from PIN and ship to CA.

However, if you buy the "off-the-shelf" mango trees in CA, you will find them priced at about $50-$69 (reasonable for CA).  The retailers in SoCal get a much better deal at wholesale prices from PIN.  But the "off-the-shelf" choices here locally in SoCal are very limited (from PIN and LaVerne)...and always seem to be the "usual suspects" Kent, Keitt, Haden, Carrie, Alphonso, Florigon, Mallika, Timotayo, Lancetilla, Glenn, Gold Nugget, NamDoc Mai, and Valencia Pride. 
Hence, why I 
1) am working on the SoCal Mango Scion Exchange Project....to get more varieties in our yards at the lowest cost.
2) tried to persuade Champa Nursery and GreenMart nurseries to order "different" (other than the usual suspects) varieties from PIN this year.

One more thing about PIN.  They have more varieties available that what is listed on the their website, but they also do not show what is not available. They do get some of Zill's varieties (Sunrise, Coconut Cream, Galaxy + others) once in a while.  I have confirmed that you have to e-mail them periodically to find out what is in stock.  I sometimes call because I have gotten to know Martha over at PIN.

You talked about TT.  The one thing nice about TT is that they post all their info on availability on their website.
Good luck with your new mango trees.  You definitely have chosen a great line-up...the best of the best.
BTW, I'm a little surprised TT will ship to you in "cold" February.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 01:18:11 PM by wslau »
Warren

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 07:40:38 AM »

One more thing about PIN.  They have more varieties available that what is listed on the their website, but they also do not show what is not available. They do get some of Zill's varieties (Sunrise, Coconut Cream, Galaxy + others) once in a while.  I have confirmed that you have to call them periodically to find out what is in stock.

Far better to email Pine Island. More accurate information and reply in my opinion. I have emailed them at least ten times and rarely called them. I figure it is less distracting and labor intensive for PI to send an email than to talk unless its a quick one or two minute phone call without detours such as "by the way ...hows the weather in South Florida...I have always meant to visit...."
Really PI should take a weekly or daily inventory of the less common items so they can just email an attachment to people.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 11:45:45 AM by zands »

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 10:10:53 AM »
Hi everyone, I will do my best to explain a few things since I work at PIN, first we do our best to acamodate all our customers whether retail or wholesale, PIN sells in excess of 500,000 fruit trees per year, amazing numbers, it is sometimes difficult to list everything that is available, for instance as an example, we may get 300-400 of a specific cultivar available for sale on any given day, it ,may completely sell out that very day! We sell to individuals, small nurseries, landscapers, and mega wholesalers. In a perfect world we would be able to list everything all the time as they are available it just sounds easier than it works. It is always best to email and we are happy to offer any availibility for specific trees. As far as shipping to California the shipping costs and prices are no doubt pricey at best, but please understand we do everything by the book, not to say others do not, but just to explain that shipping to California is labor intensive at best. We truly appreciate the business from the forum members, and I was hired to help bring our retail business to a new level of satisfaction for our customers and hopefully I am achieving that very goal. If anyone has any questions I can help with I am glad to do so. Mike Bender

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 11:37:26 AM »
Yeah,

They will be shipping out ground around  the first of Mar, should Arrive Sat on the 8th.

I'm extremely scared on what condition the trees will be in after a week of travel. Hopefully all trees are healthy.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 01:05:22 PM »
The following is my opinion and in no way involves PIN. I love Zills, Mark and the ladies who work there are awesome, I buy tons of trees from them and their quality is always superb.What Gary Zill has done for all us mango maniacs is phenomenal, but these new cultivars are rarely promoted except on this forum or by individual nursery owners. Everyone heard of Haden, Tommy Atkins, Glenn, Valencia Pride Carrie and the like. The sad part is most nurseries will sell 20 x these common cultivars than Coconut Cream or Lemon Zest and these new cultivars, even other than the mango festival which brought us Angie, Jean Ellen and the like, it took years for them to be promoted and accepted by the public. That is why many of the bigger nurseries carry the old reliables, that is what the general public demands, and value x sales x space will always take precedent! This forum has done so much to promote these new varieties, but outside this forum and it's members these new varieties languish in people's inventories. In years to come this too will hopefully change.

wslau

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2014, 01:23:54 PM »
Mike,

Thank you for the explanations. 
I'd imagine that someday everything will be bar-code scanned and PIN will know exactly what their inventory is electronically....and can link directly to their website. 
I am still a fan of PIN.  I have received excellent customer support by e-mail and phone.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 11:56:53 PM by wslau »
Warren

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2014, 01:25:29 PM »
Mike,

Thank you for the explanations. 
I'd imagine that someday everything will be bar-code scanned and PIN will know exactly what their inventory is electronically. 
I'm am still a fan of PIN.  I have received excellent customer support by e-mail and phone.
Good to hear! Anytime I can help or answer a question just PM me, glad to do so!

natsgarden123

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2014, 02:15:28 PM »
The following is my opinion and in no way involves PIN. I love Zills, Mark and the ladies who work there are awesome, I buy tons of trees from them and their quality is always superb.What Gary Zill has done for all us mango maniacs is phenomenal, but these new cultivars are rarely promoted except on this forum or by individual nursery owners. Everyone heard of Haden, Tommy Atkins, Glenn, Valencia Pride Carrie and the like. The sad part is most nurseries will sell 20 x these common cultivars than Coconut Cream or Lemon Zest and these new cultivars, even other than the mango festival which brought us Angie, Jean Ellen and the like, it took years for them to be promoted and accepted by the public. That is why many of the bigger nurseries carry the old reliables, that is what the general public demands, and value x sales x space will always take precedent! This forum has done so much to promote these new varieties, but outside this forum and it's members these new varieties languish in people's inventories. In years to come this too will hopefully change.

Yes, I volunteered volunteered the Tropical Fruit Society's plant sale last year and I had to literally convince people to buy the more interesting varieties. Everyone thought Lemon Zest would taste like Lemons and no one wanted to buy a tree. I did convince a few people .....

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2014, 02:15:35 PM »
Hi everyone, I will do my best to explain a few things since I work at PIN, first we do our best to acamodate all our customers whether retail or wholesale, PIN sells in excess of 500,000 fruit trees per year, amazing numbers, it is sometimes difficult to list everything that is available, for instance as an example, we may get 300-400 of a specific cultivar available for sale on any given day, it ,may completely sell out that very day! We sell to individuals, small nurseries, landscapers, and mega wholesalers. In a perfect world we would be able to list everything all the time as they are available it just sounds easier than it works. It is always best to email and we are happy to offer any availibility for specific trees. As far as shipping to California the shipping costs and prices are no doubt pricey at best, but please understand we do everything by the book, not to say others do not, but just to explain that shipping to California is labor intensive at best. We truly appreciate the business from the forum members, and I was hired to help bring our retail business to a new level of satisfaction for our customers and hopefully I am achieving that very goal. If anyone has any questions I can help with I am glad to do so. Mike Bender

When I was planting my first mango trees I looked a Pine Island mango cultivar viewer at least 100 times. Pine Island should update it with the new cultivars by Zill and others. Photos, descriptions, season etc

On those new recent cultivars perhaps tag them "limited supply" or "email us for availability". As opposed to Haden which you always have available

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2014, 02:50:13 PM »
It is being worked on, along with videos, hopefully coming this year, but we need pics of fruit and evaluations. Difficult to do till we can fully evaluate everything. I agree, but patience is a virtue I don't have! Hahahaha! Never had it, probably never will.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2014, 02:01:40 PM »
From what Gary told me (and if memory serves), somewhere around 1/2 of their yearly mango sales consist of Haden and Tommy. Ask any south floridian what their favorite mango is, and generally the knee-jerk response will be "haden."

It takes decades for a new mango cultivar to reach general acceptance from the average consumer. PPK has been sold for at least a decade, and it hasn't been until very recently that folks have started to speak favorably of it. I have to admit that when I first heard of the "lemon meringue" mango, I was skeptical myself and didn't bother to buy one.

Through the years I've learned to blindly trust the selections that Gary Zill has brought to market based on very favorable experiences with his previous selections. The new Zill selections are all very unique; each has flavor characteristics which differ significantly from the "standard" mango flavor. Each was literally selected among thousands of seedlings resulting from seeds of carefully selected heritage.
Jeff  :-)

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2014, 02:13:27 PM »
I gotta get me a 7 Gal PPK !
Zone 10

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2014, 02:28:08 PM »
From what Gary told me (and if memory serves), somewhere around 1/2 of their yearly mango sales consist of Haden and Tommy. Ask any south floridian what their favorite mango is, and generally the knee-jerk response will be "haden."

It takes decades for a new mango cultivar to reach general acceptance from the average consumer. PPK has been sold for at least a decade, and it hasn't been until very recently that folks have started to speak favorably of it. I have to admit that when I first heard of the "lemon meringue" mango, I was skeptical myself and didn't bother to buy one.

Through the years I've learned to blindly trust the selections that Gary Zill has brought to market based on very favorable experiences with his previous selections. The new Zill selections are all very unique; each has flavor characteristics which differ significantly from the "standard" mango flavor. Each was literally selected among thousands of seedlings resulting from seeds of carefully selected heritage.
I agree with all of Jeff's comments, people buy what they know, hard to convince them otherwise, except for us fruitaholics!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 02:30:17 PM by BENDERSGROVE »

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2014, 02:44:04 PM »
I gotta get me a 7 Gal PPK !

Oh boy, you are not reading forum carefully!  ::)
Lemon Zest is a seedling of PPK, and basically improved PPK on steroids. Why you want to get something that you already have?

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2014, 12:08:03 PM »
I agree with many of these points.

Thank God for Zills.

The PIN website is awesome....can't wait til they update it with more recent info.

Thanks to Benders Grove, Cookie monster, and others who stock these varieties for us fruit nuts even though the demand is for bland! We are so lucky for example, to be able to choose a Fairchild #2 instead of just "canistel" and a Florigon mango instead of "mango".  Much appreciated!

~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2014, 11:25:06 PM »
Yup, I can't wait for PIN to update their variety viewer, not just for Mango but also for Lychee and Dragonfruit. I've ordered several trees from PIN and the trees were absolutely perfect and the packaging was also perfect. The trees I received were younger and not pot bound.
Simon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk