Author Topic: looking for 15gallon pierce cherimoya and 15gallon reed avocado oc/la  (Read 3566 times)

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
like title says if you know where I can find them either private or nursery let me know also san Gabriel valley also

Linh

• USA, California, Westminster, zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: looking for 15gallon pierce cherimoya and 15gallon reed avocado oc/la
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 08:57:27 PM »
Upland nursery in Tustin $129 15 gal
Armstrong Huntington Beach $37 5 gal

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 01:14:35 AM »
They sell 15gal reeds in Fallbrook and Vista for around 60 or 70.  Paid 18$ for 5 gal trees at clausons.  Try clausons or atkins if you want to go to north san diego. Tell them you have a Grove they give you good price. I'm pretty sure they have 15gal reeds on hand.  Probably the pierce cherimoyas also.  Try calling to make sure.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 01:18:38 AM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

Shawn Mattison

• East San Francisco Bay Area, CA, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 11:28:59 PM »
Anyone know a source of Reed avos like these in Norcal or one that will ship to Norcal?

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 12:34:01 AM »
I don’t have a source off the top of my head but call around to some of the growers. Atkins or durling. They probably have nursery clients in NorCal and your tree could hitch a ride on an order.

It if you just want a reed, it’s not that hard for nurseries to find. Just ask them to oplace an order from their supplier. Supplier likely to be durling but could be la Verne or Atkins . I don’t now the others off the top of my head .evergreen nursery in San Diego is big and does wholesale, so they might ship.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 12:43:59 PM »
If you guys want small grafted avocado trees send me a message and I will send some.  They are going to be super small though for me to ship them.  It will be 1/2 gallon pot with a graft and flush of 6" or so.

Brad Spaugh

boxturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 01:06:40 AM »
They sell 15gal reeds in Fallbrook and Vista for around 60 or 70.  Paid 18$ for 5 gal trees at clausons.  Try clausons or atkins if you want to go to north san diego. Tell them you have a Grove they give you good price. I'm pretty sure they have 15gal reeds on hand.  Probably the pierce cherimoyas also.  Try calling to make sure.

Thank you brother! was able to pick up both at Atkins.  Great people and no hassle :)

boxturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 01:09:44 AM »
I don’t have a source off the top of my head but call around to some of the growers. Atkins or durling. They probably have nursery clients in NorCal and your tree could hitch a ride on an order.

It if you just want a reed, it’s not that hard for nurseries to find. Just ask them to oplace an order from their supplier. Supplier likely to be durling but could be la Verne or Atkins . I don’t now the others off the top of my head .evergreen nursery in San Diego is big and does wholesale, so they might ship.

most place backordered until June:( only place I found in oc was a 5 gallon for 90 bucks and it was all flowers probably 8 leaves on the whole tree no thank you

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 11:10:09 AM »
If you guys want small grafted avocado trees send me a message and I will send some.  They are going to be super small though for me to ship them.  It will be 1/2 gallon pot with a graft and flush of 6" or so.

Your kindness and sharing attitude never ceases to amaze me.  My recovering Reed is about 4' tall and growing like a weed.  It now has a much better shape and profile than it did before the freeze with 4 very thick shoots I have chosen which popped from the lower branches.   That's 18F folks and lived thru it !!!!!!

Just a thought, I watched about 4 hours of YouTube videos on avocados recently starting with the wonderful show and tell by Julie Frink at the San Diego CRFG meeting.  She showcased over 100 varieties of fruit.  Remember me telling you that last year my 10' Reed tree dropped about 2/3 of its fruit?  That apparently is because it self pollinated.  Reed is noted for that but there must be that particular caveat - yeah you'll get fruit but the chances are it will drop some of the fruit if not cross pollinated.  Out of about 7 varieties Reed is always the last to bloom.  It also has the rep of being alternate bearing.  Mine has always set fruit every year.

April 23.  It's a good foot taller now.  Just beautiful and bushy.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2018, 11:12:44 AM »

most place backordered until June:( only place I found in oc was a 5 gallon for 90 bucks and it was all flowers probably 8 leaves on the whole tree no thank you

Easy to graft.  This is a side veneer to a Florida pit back in 2012.  Had fruit the next year.

May:

August:

boxturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2018, 11:35:53 AM »
Just a thought, I watched about 4 hours of YouTube videos on avocados recently starting with the wonderful show and tell by Julie Frink at the San Diego CRFG meeting.  She showcased over 100 varieties of fruit.  Remember me telling you that last year my 10' Reed tree dropped about 2/3 of its fruit?  That apparently is because it self pollinated.  Reed is noted for that but there must be that particular caveat - yeah you'll get fruit but the chances are it will drop some of the fruit if not cross pollinated.  Out of about 7 varieties Reed is always the last to bloom.  It also has the rep of being alternate bearing.  Mine has always set fruit every year.

I wonder if that might be a factor in alot of lychee doing the same

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2018, 09:17:55 PM »

Thank you brother! was able to pick up both at Atkins.  Great people and no hassle :)

Score!  What's atkins charging for 15gal trees? 

DId you note what other varieties of avocado and cherimoya they had on hand?
Brad Spaugh

boxturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2018, 12:23:56 AM »
they had el bumpo and booth in 15gallon couple others but I really wasnt listening.  I had two whining little ones in the SUV  with the wife so didn't have much time to chit chat :) wasnt sure about avocados he did have about 4 more reeds in 15gallon.  It was 60bucks for each 15gallon and 20 for the 5gallon sharwil.  he had alot more availability for the 5gallon.  again thanks for the heads up price and having both of the tree I was looking at the same place made it all worth it

« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 12:32:06 AM by boxturtle »

boxturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2018, 12:26:30 AM »
oh and I saw lots of hass 15gallons

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2018, 10:03:23 AM »
Dude, you forgot to remove the pot!  :D. Weed eater protection?  Hopefully you removed a good portion of that pot, all the feeder roots are in the top area.  I was thinking about doing that sort of thing with dragon fruit.  I think it's a mistake for avocado to be honest.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 10:08:36 AM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2018, 10:05:42 AM »

Curious, why is that pot buried like that....not that's it's any of my business, but.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2018, 10:11:08 AM »

Curious, why is that pot buried like that....not that's it's any of my business, but.

I would ditch the pot and use round retaining wall blocks to make a 5ft circle around it if the idea is to protect the tree.  That pot is going to put a choke hold on the trunk and root system. 
Brad Spaugh

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2018, 10:52:16 AM »
boxturtle, highly recommend you watch this part regarding planting avocados.  The hosts are from your area and probably share the same type of soil structure/profile you do.   They detail the "whys" to this group which is probably the CRFG.

Planting techniques start at 1 minute 50 seconds in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1GvtV21fs8
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 10:56:20 AM by Mark in Texas »

boxturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2018, 11:43:45 AM »

I would ditch the pot and use round retaining wall blocks to make a 5ft circle around it if the idea is to protect the tree.  That pot is going to put a choke hold on the trunk and root system.

its not a pot.  its a planting ring.  It's only about 8inch deep and 2ft in diameter.   I usually leave it on for the 1st growing season.  Going to remove grass evenly all around the tree about 4 feet around and mulch when everything settles.  The tree is currently sitting about 2 inches above the grass line.  The hole was originally there from a palm tree that died, and I wanted the tree to be more centered so that's why its closer to one end of the hole.  The growing ring also helps me center everything too.   A usually just make one but this I for my Brothers front yard so I wanted it to look nice. 

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2018, 04:27:29 PM »
You had us worried. 8)

Seems like a good time to plant.  I bet it takes off for you guys over summer.
Brad Spaugh

boxturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2018, 05:23:55 PM »
You had us worried. 8)

Seems like a good time to plant.  I bet it takes off for you guys over summer.

thanks! my fingers crossed too we have a big family so my goal is one or two avocados at each of my siblings house.  That way we would have avocado all year around and a good varieties at that.  :)