Author Topic: Garden shots on June 1st 2015  (Read 2133 times)

TriangleJohn

• View Profile
Garden shots on June 1st 2015
« on: June 01, 2015, 09:15:55 AM »
Here's a few photos of fruit forming in the garden today. I'm in zone 7b Raleigh NC. Everything is in the ground except the Cherimoya (which would prefer to get out of the greenhouse in the summer but it has grown too big to move).

pawpaw - obviously one of the clusters that did not get thinned. We've been dry and my pawpaws have dropped a lot of fruit.

honeyberry - these guys would rather live someplace colder but I still manage to get fruit off of them.

fuzzy kiwi 'Vincent' - the last two winters really did some damage to these vines but they're still producing.

Fuyu persimmon - my trees tend to alternate between heavy fruiting years and slight fruiting years. This year looks to be a heavy crop year.

seed grown Cherimoya. So far it has never made fruit. I will try to hand pollinate it again this year but my track record is 0. I see lots of flying insects around it so I keep hoping they take over and perform the service.

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
Re: Garden shots on June 1st 2015
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 06:52:02 PM »
Any luck with the cherimoya?
Life is good

TriangleJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 10:37:56 AM »
None so far but I am not giving up on this tree. It seems so happy and blooms all summer long. I plan on putting it in a pot that I can move it out of the greenhouse into a shadier spot nearby (I think it doesn't like the hot sun on June/July inside the greenhouse) or I may just make a shady corner of the greenhouse for it and other plants that seem to falter in summer heat. I also need to prune it so that I can easily reach the flowers. My problem is that my garden is too big and I have too many fruiting plants (!). Once it gets warm I could spend 24 hours a day picking, pruning, watering, etc. I only have to hands and I like to sleep at night so there is always some plants getting all the attention while others get neglected.

By the way - I love PR. I haven't been in years but long ago I had college friends that moved there and I would spend part of every winter there. For a while they lived on Culebra (back before it was built up) and then they moved to the mountains near El Yunque.

Draak

• East Bay Area California, zone 9a/b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 01:38:42 AM »
You mentioned that your honeyberries would rather grow someplace warmer. It's great that they're still giving you berries! What USDA zone do you live in?