Author Topic: Texas Rarefruit Growers Fall Meeting  (Read 3937 times)

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
Texas Rarefruit Growers Fall Meeting
« on: July 26, 2013, 02:10:15 AM »
Texas Rarefruit Growers Fall Meeting

Sunday September 22, 2013 @ 2:00 pm

We are having a fall meeting that will include plant, seeds or scion exchange. Also will encourage everyone to bring any in season fruit. If you don't have any plants or other material please attend. We should have extras for everyone that attends. We will also have a grafting demo and guest speaker.

Matt Family Orchard

21110 Bauer Hockley Road

Tomball, Texas 77377

http://mattfamilyorchard.com

If you have never visited the Matt Family Orchard this will be a great opportunity for you! Also very grateful to Rick Matt for being willing to host our club meeting!

Guest Speaker:

Phil Sauber aka Mr. Texascitrus

Phil will speak to us about cold hardy citrus, citrus rootstocks and pawpaws
http://mrtexascitrus.weebly.com/citrusvarieties1.html

Thanks,

Ed Self

Georgetown, Texas

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Texas Rarefruit Growers Fall Meeting
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 08:16:34 AM »
Sounds like a winner Ed, wish I could be there.

It's interesting what varieties of citrus he likes and what he doesn't.  Take the Rio Red grapefruit variety.  If you've never had a tree ripened Rio you don't know what you're missing.  Unlike his take, it is one of the sweetest, reddest (even showing thru the skin) most juicy and rich grapefruit one can grow and super productive.  TX A&I didn't release this one on a whim nor it is the most popular grapefruit for no reason at all.  At least from Corpus down south through the Valley it is.  It requires plenty of heat but is also quite cold hardy.

Another he doesn't list is Moro blood orange which I find delectable.  Super dark, juicy, and sweetly rich.  He calls Meyer lemon "sour".  It is anything but.  For starts it's a cross between a lemon and possibly an orange or a mandarin which gives it a sweet/tart profile with a nice lemon flavor - a chef's delight.  ;)

Bottom line?  Aside from one's gardening skills, one's location and soil structure AND choice of rootstock is what drives fruit quality.  IOW, "your mileage will vary".

Mark
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 08:29:32 AM by Mark in Texas »

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 10:06:02 AM »
Ed,

I hope to be there!! It will be a good opportunity to visit Matt's Farm too. :)

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 12:51:46 PM »
Sorry you can't make it Mark!

Hope to see you there Greenthumb!

Yes Mark I was also surprised with his opinion of the Rio Red Grapefruit! I grew it for over 10 years in the Houston area and it was highly productive and great tasting! I know Phil also grows the Golden grapefruit which is much sweeter but not as balanced in flavor and really seedy. But the golden color and sweet flavor makes it worth growing! Also I have always told people you shouldn't base your choice to grow or not to grow a plant on one persons opinion. We all have different taste buds and preference. That's why so many varieties are selected for a lot of fruiting plants!

Ed
Texas 
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 04:25:36 PM by edself65 »

Droshi

• Raleigh NC - USDA Zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 02:42:34 PM »
My wife's family will be in town around then. Interested to attend, but hoping that if they come there'll be something to pick at Matt's farm. Any ideas of what all will be ripe? I'm guessing maybe persimmon?

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 03:11:23 PM »
Should be persimmons and citrus available at that time. Hope to see you there!

Ed
Texas

My wife's family will be in town around then. Interested to attend, but hoping that if they come there'll be something to pick at Matt's farm. Any ideas of what all will be ripe? I'm guessing maybe persimmon?

dcusseaux

• united states, texas, spring, zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 03:49:31 PM »
Excellent,

I did not know that Texas had a chapter of rare tropical fruit tree growers. Will there be any information about joining up with the TRG? I plan on attending the meeting in September

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 06:13:34 PM »
We have,been around since 2007. We have a yahoo group that is fairly busy. We try to meet several times per year. Hope to see you there!

Ed

dcusseaux

• united states, texas, spring, zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 12:38:46 PM »
This is definitely a great surprise and good news for me as I look forward to contributing and being apart of discovery! It is an incredible experience to reside in an 8a-9 climate zone with the potential of growing some of the worlds amazing tropical delights. I just hope it catches on more than it has so far and i look forward to having the camaraderie of others who enjoy the same passion of tropical fruit.

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 07:42:25 AM »
Austin Texas Area Fruit Growers Club Meeting

Sunday August 11, 2013 @ 2 pm

We have a few folks who would like to get together this Sunday August 11, 2013 at 2 pm and discuss/plan the future of a Central Texas Fruit Growers Club.

Phil Hamilton has found secured us a meeting site that is free and we can schedule monthly meetings. Also this site is not at a nursery so we would be free to bring plants for a plant swap without any issues. If you have any questions or concerns please contact Phil or me. Hope you can make it Sunday at 2 pm at the location below:

TechShop Austin-Round Rock

120 Sundance Pkwy #350
Round Rock, TX
Phil Hamilton
macawbirdbreeder@yahoo.com
512-698-3657

Thanks,

Ed Self
Georgetown, Texas

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
Texas Fruit Growers Fall Meeting
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 04:19:09 PM »
Reminder:

Texas Fruit Growers Fall Meeting

Sunday September 22, 2013 @ 2:00 pm

We are having a fall meeting that will include plant, seeds or scion exchange. Also will encourage everyone to bring any in season fruit. If you don't have any plants or other material please attend. We should have extras for everyone that attends. We will also have a grafting demo and guest speaker.

Matt Family Orchard

21110 Bauer Hockley Road

Tomball, Texas 77377

http://mattfamilyorchard.com

If you have never visited the Matt Family Orchard this will be a great opportunity for you! Also very grateful to Rick Matt for being willing to host our club meeting!

Guest Speaker:

Phil Sauber aka Mr. Texascitrus

Phil will speak to us about cold hardy citrus, citrus rootstocks and pawpaws
http://mrtexascitrus.weebly.com/citrusvarieties1.html

Phil may have the following citrus budwood available. You may want to send Phil an email (mrtexascitrus@yahoo.com<mailto:mrtexascitrus@yahoo.com>) to verify:

golden grapefruit
seto satsuma
miho satsuma
cara cara navel
dobashi beni satsuma
frost owari satsuma
page mandarin
clementine
fairchild mandarin
ujukitsu sweet lemon

Thanks,

Ed Self