Author Topic: Dwarf mango  (Read 614 times)

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
Dwarf mango
« on: February 11, 2021, 12:24:11 AM »
Ok, I had a dwarf mango I ordered from Logee's.  It was doing great and had started to bloom.  I had the tree at my mother's because I don't have a window with sunlight.
Well, unbeknownst to me, she put that pot inside a sealed pot and the leaves started to droop.   So, the more they drooped, the more she watered.  By the time she thought it was a good time for me to look at, she had watered it so much that she probably could have drowned aquatic plants.
So, I am in the market again for another dwarf mango.
Looking for suggestions on a new dwarf
1. Want productivity
2. Want good flavor.
Will more than likely keep it in a pot.
Looking for recommendations on variety, on places to purchase online or if anyone on here has one for sale.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf mango
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 01:16:11 AM »
No idea what ripoff Logees was selling this time as a "dwarf" mango.  Your best bet, and no guarantees if growing it in the house, is a Pickering.
- Rob

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 08:05:16 AM »

I like Pickering, but if I were to plant just one "dwarf" mango, it would be Honey Kiss. Equally productive, if not more, and better flavor (in my opinion). :)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 09:51:07 AM »

I like Pickering, but if I were to plant just one "dwarf" mango, it would be Honey Kiss. Equally productive, if not more, and better flavor (in my opinion). :)

I am not a huge fan of either, so no favorites being played.  I am not sure I agree.  I would not be confident Honey Kiss will do well in a pot being dragged in and outside.  I also think HK will be more vigorous (note, I didn't say it IS vigorous) than Pickering.
- Rob