Author Topic: 6 pounders!  (Read 1405 times)

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
6 pounders!
« on: January 26, 2019, 06:08:53 PM »
http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2019/01/26/its-size-baby-one-kona-farmer-is-selling-pound-avocados/

Never heard of this variety. The reports of it being watery in November are off-putting as I wonder how much it can really improve afterwards.

As an aside, I've had trouble with other large avos (queen) ripening evenly. Is that a common problem with large avos?

The real kicker is that my wife is the one who spotted this article and sent it to me 😀. She is slowly turning to the fruit side.

Khaled
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 06:23:32 PM by CA Hockey »

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
Re: 6 pounders!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 02:14:34 AM »
Tons of local varieties.  Should try to get the Hawaii avocado chart

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 01:27:03 PM »
I think I saw a poster on Oscars site but didnt see anything that looked like that.

waldi1

• Mexico, Guerrero, Zihuatanejo, 13b 17.60 N, 101.46W
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 07:05:04 PM »
MY GUESS ITS HULUMANU

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 01:55:48 AM »
http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2019/01/26/its-size-baby-one-kona-farmer-is-selling-pound-avocados/

Never heard of this variety. The reports of it being watery in November are off-putting as I wonder how much it can really improve afterwards.

As an aside, I've had trouble with other large avos (queen) ripening evenly. Is that a common problem with large avos?

The real kicker is that my wife is the one who spotted this article and sent it to me 😀. She is slowly turning to the fruit side.

Khaled
What the grower is saying is that if the avocados are picked early, in November, then they will be kind of watery. That is true of all avocados. If left on the tree to fully develop then they develop oil content. I've never had this variety but apparently they are very good quality. There are lots of varieties in Hawaii that are real whopper sized. No they don't have a problem with uneven ripening.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 01:59:56 AM »
MY GUESS ITS HULUMANU
Nope, it's a seedling type that was grafted on. Probably a seedling selection from Daily 11.
Oscar