Author Topic: Moving to a warmer country?  (Read 9037 times)

Jeppe

• Denmark
    • View Profile
Moving to a warmer country?
« on: February 07, 2018, 08:45:43 AM »
Hi, what wonderful forum that i have stumbled upon!
I am in my early twenties and still haven't really figured life out at all.
One thing i know is that i love tropical fruits, and i really wish i could grow them. I live in Denmark where it gets quite cold in the winter, I've tried growing cantaloupe indoors, but i only got 1 ripe fruit, but it tasted so incredible.

I have been thinking about moving to a hotter climate a lot, I would love to be able to grow mangoes, cantaloup melons and oranges which are my absoulte favourite, do you have any recommendation where i should guide my eyes towards? I think having a concrete goal would help me achieve it.

I'm thinking both in where the fruit will thrive the most, but also where it might be feasible to move to as a foreigner.

Kind regards
Jeppe

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Moving to a warmer country?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 08:55:18 AM »
How about Florida?
Michael

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 09:40:54 AM »
Welcome, Jeppe!

Are you looking at European destinations only or are you considering other continents?

Also, mangoes, cantaloupes and oranges have different climate ranges. For example, Cantaloupe grows great here where I am (Tennessee, USA) but mangoes and oranges would not (outdoors).

If you want mangoes you will have to be some place pretty warm. In the USA that would mean mid to southern Florida, parts of California (I believe) south Texas perhaps......I'm not a mango expert. But it would have to be somewhere without frost or at least very rare frost.

I love your enthusiasm and would like to hear more from you!

P.S. I would not be living up to my name if I didn't suggest you try growing Asimina triloba (north american pawpaw). It's a cold-hardy fruit with a definite tropical flavor and texture!!

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 10:42:41 AM »
Hi Jeppe - greetings from Iceland  :)

It should be pointed out that there's no place you can grow everything. Some plants love humidity, others hate it.  Some need a monsoon climate, others can't stand it.  Some need cool winters or nights, others don't withstand them.  Etc.  And don't even get started on soil requirements! 

From your list, it sounds like a Mediterranean climate would suit you well; no need to move that far from home  :).  Just don't go somewhere that tends to get water shortages.   I'd recommend any of the areas in green, preferably light green here (map of minimum winter temperatures):

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e0/NWS-NOAA_Europe_Extreme_minimum_temperature_JAN_22_-_28%2C_2017.png

I'd cross-reference with this map, which is the rent per hectare on farmland in Europe:

http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/images/e/e8/Weighted_average_value_of_the_rent_per_ha_of_agricultural_land_paid_by_holding_%28EUR_per_ha%29%2C_2006-2008%2C_EUR-27%2C_NUTS_2.png

(In case you were thinking about tropicals in western Norway, remember that you also need enough summer heat for growth  ;)  )

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2e/NWS-NOAA_Europe_Extreme_maximum_temperature_JUL_5_-_11%2C_2015.png

Do however remember that life is about more than farming. Pick a country whose political and economic situations are one that you're content with. I recommend talking with locals. :)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 02:06:49 PM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er ađ rćkta suđrćnar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuđ. Jćja, kannski...

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 12:30:04 PM »
Count on Karen for thorough and detailed info, every time  ;D

Until you get to move, you can look for tasty things that might survive in your climate.

That's kind of what I did. I gave up on trying to zone-shift and found temperate relatives to tropical fruits I love: pawpaw (as I mentioned) but also Passiflora incarnata. For me these aren't just temperate, they grow wild here.

They both produce excellent fruits and are way less hassle than zone pushing tropicals.

Based on the maps above, these 2 would totally make it in Denmark.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 12:40:28 PM by Triloba Tracker »

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 03:33:55 PM »
Well i definately recomend Madeira Island! Really great climate! Great people, food and landscape... ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yZf2Q05GaI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbVdgtu0vuI

Fruit produced on Madeira

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FW45gqQOHI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHiOQT1GGXY
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 03:38:04 PM by Luisport »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 04:05:46 PM »
When considering a move i think 3 things are very important:
1) where can you go that you will be able to get residency? For this reason Europe would be good for you as you are already citizen of the EU.
2) where can you go where you can buy or lease land at an affordable price? With this one maybe most of Europe is not so good? Latin America or SE Asia would be better, if you are willing to learn new language and try new culture?
3) Once you narrowed down the list of countries it's best to go ahead and visit in person. All the facts in the world will not do you much good if you then go to a country and simply don't like it there, or don't like the people there. So probably this is one of the most important things: being able to fit in well into that country and enjoying it.
Oscar

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 05:38:08 PM »
Well i definately recomend Madeira Island! Really great climate! Great people, food and landscape... ;D

Looks purdy  :)

I can vouch for life on an island with a couple hundred thousand people  ;)  I mean, it can be a hindrance sometimes being cut off (things take longer to arrive, goods sometimes become unavailable or are just in general unavailable, etc).  Example: for some reason about a month ago pecans disappeared without warning from the grocery store I usually shop at.  No problem, right - I'll just shop somewhere else.  Bónus?  No pecans.  Hagkaup?  No pecans.  Everyone simultaneously ran out of pecans; I guess there was only one supplier  ;)  And they're still not back in stores.

But on the other hand, being insulated from the rest of the world is rather comforting.  The atmosphere is more laid back.  Global geopolitics becomes more of a spectator sport.  Contrarily, you feel you have more influence on things when the population is low and isolated because it's easier to get to know other people - politicians, business leaders, artists, whoever. If you find life too stressful in Denmark, "remote island life" might be more your thing.  :)
Já, ég er ađ rćkta suđrćnar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuđ. Jćja, kannski...

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 07:15:52 PM »
Islands also perfect for growing tropicals. They like that moderated influence of surrounding ocean. Temperautres don't vary much between night and day....and that's what most tropicals like.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 04:15:40 PM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 04:50:57 AM »

Looks purdy  :)

I can vouch for life on an island with a couple hundred thousand people  ;)  I mean, it can be a hindrance sometimes being cut off (things take longer to arrive, goods sometimes become unavailable or are just in general unavailable, etc).  Example: for some reason about a month ago pecans disappeared without warning from the grocery store I usually shop at.  No problem, right - I'll just shop somewhere else.  Bónus?  No pecans.  Hagkaup?  No pecans.  Everyone simultaneously ran out of pecans; I guess there was only one supplier  ;)  And they're still not back in stores.

But on the other hand, being insulated from the rest of the world is rather comforting.  The atmosphere is more laid back.  Global geopolitics becomes more of a spectator sport.  Contrarily, you feel you have more influence on things when the population is low and isolated because it's easier to get to know other people - politicians, business leaders, artists, whoever. If you find life too stressful in Denmark, "remote island life" might be more your thing.  :)
No problems in Madeira Island. That's where i like to live if i could choose... at least no cold there... it's the pearl of Atlantic Ocean!  ;D

Patanax

• Austria, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 06:06:32 PM »
I agree with Triloba Tracker, you should really check out Pawpaws, which supposedly taste like Cantaloupe when the fruit isn't fully ripe and start to taste like Mango when the fruit gets mushy. They're related to Cherimoya and Soursop, and the only member of this family that is hardy down to -25°C. I only planted mine a few weeks ago here in Austria, so I can't yet comment on the taste :D

I'm sure a nursery in your area offers some grafted Pawpaw trees. I recommend the variety Prima, as it is self-fertile.

I've already been to Madeira, it was very nice there.

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 07:01:51 PM »
Awesome, Patanax!
I think in many cases when pawpaws are very ripe, with skin nearing blackness, the flavor is more caramel and not “fruity”. Generally the earlier you eat it, the fruitier the taste. Some can have pineapple, coconut, melon or banana flavors. Some I’ve tasted are even spicy or cinnamon like. One was strongly reminiscent of durian. No joke. (Others have reported this too)
So fun to see others growing this around the world. Best of luck to you!

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2018, 04:18:10 PM »
Islands also perfect for growing tropicals. They like that moderated influence of surrounding ocean. Temperautres don't vary much between night and day....and that's what most tropicals like.

Unless there are volcanos.  Hope you are doing well through all the tumult.
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2020, 03:09:29 PM »
What about Spain? During the summer you’ll enjoy the hot weather and sun and winters are mild and a little bit windy. I don’t think you’ll like to live a longer period in a tropical areas like Bali or Ecuador. Usually autumns and winters there are really rainy and windy so if you dream about parties on the beach then forget about that. However, you will grow there easily your plants. Another point is in case you will achieve your dream of growing tropical fruits where are you going to sell them? The market in the tropical regions is already filled with other producers.
South Portugal is better! You still have Madeira or Azores islands... they are truly beautiful and you can grow all king of tropicals there...  ;)

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2020, 08:39:53 AM »
Or. . .
Bring the warmer climate to you, and build a greenhouse!
Grow what you want now, while you decide what to do and where to go!

giorgosgr.

• Attika, Greece zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2020, 07:59:43 AM »
Or try any of the greek islands, you can grow nearly anything you want, the weather is perfect for living, easy access to the rest of europe. The only drawback is the expensive land but you can always use it also as a tourist attraction and make a living from it
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 09:43:02 AM by giorgosgr. »

JAbbot1985

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2020, 09:40:18 AM »
Spam
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 05:21:22 AM by JakeFruit »

Alejandro45

• Palm Beach FL, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2020, 08:13:30 AM »
Spain or Portugal get my vote. The food is on par with Italy and women are beautiful. Oh were talking fruit growing? Yeah it can be done there also!

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2020, 01:44:53 AM »
What about Spain? During the summer you’ll enjoy the hot weather and sun and winters are mild and a little bit windy. I don’t think you’ll like to live a longer period in a tropical areas like Bali or Ecuador. Usually autumns and winters there are really rainy and windy so if you dream about parties on the beach then forget about that. However, you will grow there easily your plants. Another point is in case you will achieve your dream of growing tropical fruits where are you going to sell them? The market in the tropical regions is already filled with other producers.
South Portugal is better! You still have Madeira or Azores islands... they are truly beautiful and you can grow all king of tropicals there...  ;)

I love the southern part of Portugal, very similar to southern Cali. Cold ocean!

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2020, 09:21:53 AM »

I love the southern part of Portugal, very similar to southern Cali. Cold ocean!
Cold? Naaa... more hot on last years.

Istanabungur

• Riverside
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2020, 05:32:07 PM »
Hi, what wonderful forum that i have stumbled upon!
I am in my early twenties and still haven't really figured life out at all.
One thing i know is that i love tropical fruits, and i really wish i could grow them. I live in Denmark where it gets quite cold in the winter, I've tried growing cantaloupe indoors, but i only got 1 ripe fruit, but it tasted so incredible.

I have been thinking about moving to a hotter climate a lot, I would love to be able to grow mangoes, cantaloup melons and oranges which are my absoulte favourite, do you have any recommendation where i should guide my eyes towards? I think having a concrete goal would help me achieve it.

I'm thinking both in where the fruit will thrive the most, but also where it might be feasible to move to as a foreigner.

Kind regards
Jeppe

Depending on financial situation - For U.S - I recommend California ( we have earthquake) or Florida (Sinkhole and Tornadoes) - but weather and fruits availability is super. Other more affordable country with easier immigration law would be Chille (South America), Thailand and Indonesia ( South East Asia). In fact, last year article selected Chile and Bali (Indonesia) as one of the top 10 best place to invest and retire as well. In U.S, we got many imported tropical  fruits from Chile and Thailand. But I have been to Bali - even the green banana are super sweets and the people are extremely nice and honest. The downside to those 3 places outside U.S is language barrier. Chile speak spanish, while Thai and Bali have their own native languages as well. Chile and Bali  are safer than Thailand ( got to consider safety, hygiene, immigration rules and pest). Also, health care are more affordable in those 3 countries, compare to U.S. But visit those places first and stay for a month or two (just make sure get bottled water - not their local water or ice if you do not want to get sick at least for couple weeks), explore and see if its right place for you.
Here in Southern California, we have a lot of citrus - many varieties, mango only half a dozen or so in the market. we have many different cantaloupes and melons as well but compare to those that I eat on Japan or Indonesia, our melon and cantaloupes are terrible. Those that never eaten melon and cantaloupe in Japan will consider the ones in California as O.K.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 05:59:29 PM by Istanabungur »

countryboy1981

• 8B Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2020, 09:30:10 PM »

I will not get in the water unles it is 80 degrees.  The Gulf of Mexico is great this time of year.

SophieHarris

• USA,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2020, 03:13:22 PM »
I would like to move to Portugal in Cascais or a little further South in the Algarve. It's very nice there, my friends live there. If you have the money to buy a house and start your own business, then you will succeed. Unfortunately, I have financial difficulties, so this move remains my dream. By the way, I recently read the news about where people are moving from new york and I found an interesting article about it. Unfortunately, during the pandemic, many people lost their jobs and had to move to the countryside to start their own vegetable garden or farm. What do you think about it?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 04:03:02 AM by SophieHarris »

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2020, 05:17:56 AM »
I would like to move to Portugal in Cascais or a little further South in the Algarve. It's very nice there, my friends live there.
Yes, it's great here!   ;D

Forester

• Zone 4 Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2020, 06:57:59 AM »
Guys, I live in Russia and that says it all! Can you imagine our weather? Now imagine how we grow everything here! Do you think I want to go somewhere? No way in my life! To achieve results and grow what, in fact, cannot grow in our country, this is a real thrill! I visit the greenhouses of my friends and am amazed at the plants they grow. There is a good Russian proverb - Where he was born, there he came in handy!
❀ Sergey ❀