Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

What's The Best Tasting Carambola?

<< < (2/4) > >>

adiel:
Fwang Tung is another sweet variety.  I have not tried the Bell so I cannot compare how it does against that one.

Adiel

murahilin:
Bell is usually my favorite but recently I had one of Jeff's Kari's and it was pretty good. Better than the bell's I've had this year but bell is still my fav.

Sleepdoc:
I've only tried a couple of varieties.  I remember Bell as being quite good, and the Kari I have is tasty and pretty sweet for a Carambola.  My Kari is crazy productive.

bsbullie:
I have never been a fan of carambola until recently.  I have been picking the fruit at maximum ripeness stage, from Excalibur's trees, and have found the following:

Bell - moderately sweet to sweet, least favorite, had a bit of astringency though by cutting off the skin that dimished
Kari - very sweet, tropical citrus flaors, strong/intense flavor (for a carambola)
Sri Kembanqan - very sweet, tropical citrus flaors, strong/intense flavor (for a carambola)
Hart - sweet with a different spectrum of flavors, not as intense flavored as Kari and  Sri Kembanqan

As I stated above, these were all picked with full ripe color, very little to no green color left.  When picked like this they must be eaten fairly quickly but it was well worth it.  At this ripeness stage, they would be excellent chilled and put through a juicer.

natsgarden123:
Never tried the Hart-Ill have to taste it.   
PS I wont plant a Carambola- way too much fruit and we were overwhelmed-I would rather use the spot to plant something else.   Just my humble opinion...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version