Author Topic: avocado variety?  (Read 14333 times)

michsu

• Hacienda Heights, CA (Southern California, Los Angeles)
    • View Profile
    • Pictures of my trees.. nothing fancy
avocado variety?
« on: December 17, 2015, 12:04:39 PM »
Hi,

I am interested in getting an avocado tree; which variety is good? Thanks. I have a small 3g Reed Avocado growing and would like to get another one; My 3 year old son actually loves to eat avocados, so I might as well grow another one; (Please don't remove this thread like the other one about "jackfruit", what happened to that one?) I am looking at an Oro Negro or Brogdon? I saw some other varieties like Nishikawa, Day, Hall, Choquette, Wurtz, Jose Antonio..

Thanks.

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
Re: avocado variety?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 12:21:35 PM »
Hi,
I am interested in getting an avocado tree; which variety is good? Thanks. I have a small 3g Reed Avocado growing and would like to get another one; My 3 year old son actually loves to eat avocados, so I might as well grow another one; (Please don't remove this thread like the other one about "jackfruit", what happened to that one?) I am looking at an Oro Negro or Brogdon? I saw some other varieties like Nishikawa, Day, Hall, Choquette, Wurtz, Jose Antonio..
Thanks.

IMO, the common Hass variety would be better (for Southern California) than most of the varieties on your list. Have you considered Lamb Hass or Holiday?

michsu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 04:45:24 PM »
oh, ok thanks.. how about a Super Hass? what's the difference between that and the regular one? I thought most varieties would be ok to grow here.. do they need anything extra compared to other fruit trees?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 04:49:29 PM by michsu »

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 05:16:50 PM »
My advice is to pick an avocado variety that grows well in Southern California (not Florida varieties) and taste good.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 08:45:46 PM »
How about Gwen (a Hass type), or if you have the space Fuerte?  Definitely don't grow a Florida variety.  We have no choice because California varieties usually don't do well here.  CALIFORNIA VARIETIES HAVE SUPERIOR FLAVOR.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 08:48:24 PM by johnb51 »
John

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 10:51:02 PM »
Did u happen to get a avocado yet?

Im thinking getting brogdon from Lynn...

raiders36

• San Jose, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 11:05:03 PM »
if you are down in los angeles, try to get the gem hass avocado. tree and fruits are beautiful

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2016, 11:20:23 AM »
Michsu,
Jan Boyce avocado has received a lot of praise and would be a good candidate for a second tree.
Sir Prize Hass, Carmen Hass, and Lamb Hass are also excellent varieties....you almost can't go wrong with any of these in SoCal.
Btw, your Reed was an excellent first choice.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 11:26:23 AM by wslau »
Warren

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2016, 01:46:18 PM »
Please post pics of avocado fruit varities. Thanks

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2016, 03:19:17 PM »
Please post pics of avocado fruit varities. Thanks

Good website for a description and picture(s) of California Avocado varieties is from the University of California:
http://ucavo.ucr.edu/

There are pics (outside and inside of avocado) in the Variety List:
http://ucavo.ucr.edu/AvocadoVarieties/VarietyFrame.html#Anchor-47857
Warren

michsu

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 09:24:48 AM »
Thanks guys for all the info..  ;D I'm going to try a choquette avocado next.. I'll probably going to get one of the Hass after that..
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 09:42:14 AM by michsu »

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 12:04:01 PM »
I absolutely, unequivocally do not recommend Choquette.  It's a typical, bland, watery Florida avocado--very low oil content.  My friend recently chopped down her tree because she couldn't stand the fruit.  I thought the fruit was acceptable when fully ripe, but I would never call it outstanding or excellent.  We Floridians would kill to be able to grow California avocados here.  I'm sorry, to grow Florida avocados in California makes zero sense!
John

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2016, 12:08:42 PM »
I absolutely, unequivocally do not recommend Choquette.  It's a typical, bland, watery Florida avocado--very low oil content.  My friend recently chopped down her tree because she couldn't stand the fruit.  I thought the fruit was acceptable when fully ripe, but I would never call it outstanding or excellent.  We Floridians would kill to be able to grow California avocados here.  I'm sorry, to grow Florida avocados in California makes zero sense!

I agree with you John but if you have a second generation variety that was pollinated with local California varieties, like Ismael and Mantequilla, it's not a problem. I grow those 2 West Indian race hybrids that have this unique taste of sweet, like your typical WI, and creamy like Hass or Reed.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2016, 12:14:39 PM »

I agree with you John but if you have a second generation variety that was pollinated with local California varieties, like Ismael and Mantequilla, it's not a problem. I grow those 2 West Indian race hybrids that have this unique taste of sweet, like your typical WI, and creamy like Hass or Reed.

Yes, that makes sense.  But a grafted Choquette?  Even Pine Island gives it a 4 (out of 5) rating, and that's being very generous.  I'd give it no more than 3, and it's an alternate bearer.  I ate them for about ten years before she chopped down the tree last year.
John

michsu

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2016, 12:15:57 PM »
oh good, thanks.. I purchased one, but it's on hold.. I can always change it.. I'll see what else they have and do an exchange.

michsu

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2016, 12:17:50 PM »
I got choices of Brogdon, Oro Negro, Jose Antonio, Hall, Day, Nishikawa, and Hass besides Choquette.. which is the better one? Thanks.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2016, 12:22:46 PM »

Yes, that makes sense.  But a grafted Choquette?  Even Pine Island gives it a 4 (out of 5) rating, and that's being very generous.  I'd give it no more than 3, and it's an alternate bearer.  I ate them for about ten years before she chopped down the tree last year.

I agree choquette , Monroe and Catalina are not good avocados. I happen to like them because I drench them in olive oil, vinegar and onion, sprinkle a little salt and eat them with a a good Cuban pottage delicious! 

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2016, 12:26:56 PM »
I got choices of Brogdon, Oro Negro, Jose Antonio, Hall, Day, Nishikawa, and Hass besides Choquette.. which is the better one? Thanks.
Michsu, you have the best avocado varieties in the world here in SoCal why do you insist on getting WI race you are wasting your time!

michsu

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2016, 12:28:15 PM »
oh, I just don't know where to buy them.. I got my Reed from Lowes.. I guess the same place or maybe Home Depot?.. otherwise online I suppose..

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2016, 12:31:46 PM »
oh, I just don't know where to buy them.. I got my Reed from Lowes.. I guess the same place or maybe Home Depot?.. otherwise online I suppose..

Wow! Sheehan this guy is spamming!! I like to see this thread deleted!

michsu

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2016, 12:43:26 PM »
I don't have time to go to the nursery (barely have time to have some time alone with a 3 year old, 10 month old, and her parents too - her mom has ovarian cancer, her dad has UTI, eye has glaucoma that's hardened (will be doing a surgery soon), and just had a stroke last December); and these are just her parents.. basically all 4 have some eye problems now with cataracts/glaucoma (still can't tell which is which).. but only her dad's eye is very bad.. 20/50 in one eye, 20/400 in the other.. we take them to see some kind of doctor almost every week; However, I would like to get another avocado tree.. that is it.. why are you attacking me? I just need a place to order so it either comes at my door, or just a nearby place.. My wife works Saturdays (half day), so I have to take care of everyone else.. and then we go shopping for food/clean house and other things on Sunday.. I have to worry about real life problems.. instead of worrying about half my cherimoyas are gone because of fruit flies or squirrels..

you can report to moderator all you like.. that is my story.. The others don't make fun.. they just didn't like the reason I wanted a choquette.. I thought it was big and it looked good, but you guys say otherwise.. so I'm canceling that order.. I am not spamming any board or post or topic.. I, like you, like to grow things and I told my reasons last time.. I would like to grow all the fruit trees that you keep showing us too.. and I'm trying.. lately, I have been getting gout too (only 36, I know.. watch out for high purine foods and drink lots of water).. and still my foot is swollen and have a sprain after 3 weeks, so I can't go up the hill for a few months.. I have enough problems in real life to have enough energy to care to deal with you now.. you have all the nice trees, I congratulate you.. just don't belittle others when they ask a question.. try to learn some humility.. you may have done this much longer than me (or others).. I would love to have all the fruit you can grow.. eat one kind of fruit, and when that's over, eat another kind of fruit.. that's what I'm trying to build too for my family.. since I can't show her the world now, at least I can give her the world's fruits.. even if the tree just had one fruit over 10 years time, it's worth it for me to grow it..

Back to my question, if anyone cares to answer.. people have told me of La Mimosa and others, but they are still about 1 hour away (I actually work in Downtown LA, so I know).. usually I order my trees online and have them delivered.. I have been googling, but can't find other places that deliver.. the only ones are people from Florida.. so that's why I can only get the Florida varieties.. I know many people are against the Florida varieties, so I will probably cancel that order and get another tree.. I do have Lowes/Home Depot nearby, I'll check again.. normally during spring time they seem to have better varieties of everything..
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 01:05:38 PM by michsu »

michsu

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2016, 01:09:08 PM »
Since this is my topic (before it gets deleted), here are my trees so far... nothing fancy like all of you guys.. just slowly and surely..

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4nhpYQVEPRXOEZxbWwtX0VtUE0
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 09:45:42 AM by michsu »

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2016, 02:04:35 PM »
Very sorry to hear about the health issues.  Your tree collection is fantastic.  I think Hass (or any of the Hass family) would be a good choice for your second avocado tree.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 04:49:07 PM by johnb51 »
John

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2016, 01:00:57 AM »
I don't have time to go to the nursery (barely have time to have some time alone with a 3 year old, 10 month old, and her parents too - her mom has ovarian cancer, her dad has UTI, eye has glaucoma that's hardened (will be doing a surgery soon), and just had a stroke last December); and these are just her parents.. basically all 4 have some eye problems now with cataracts/glaucoma (still can't tell which is which).. but only her dad's eye is very bad.. 20/50 in one eye, 20/400 in the other.. we take them to see some kind of doctor almost every week; However, I would like to get another avocado tree.. that is it.. why are you attacking me? I just need a place to order so it either comes at my door, or just a nearby place.. My wife works Saturdays (half day), so I have to take care of everyone else.. and then we go shopping for food/clean house and other things on Sunday.. I have to worry about real life problems.. instead of worrying about half my cherimoyas are gone because of fruit flies or squirrels..

you can report to moderator all you like.. that is my story.. The others don't make fun.. they just didn't like the reason I wanted a choquette.. I thought it was big and it looked good, but you guys say otherwise.. so I'm canceling that order.. I am not spamming any board or post or topic.. I, like you, like to grow things and I told my reasons last time.. I would like to grow all the fruit trees that you keep showing us too.. and I'm trying.. lately, I have been getting gout too (only 36, I know.. watch out for high purine foods and drink lots of water).. and still my foot is swollen and have a sprain after 3 weeks, so I can't go up the hill for a few months.. I have enough problems in real life to have enough energy to care to deal with you now.. you have all the nice trees, I congratulate you.. just don't belittle others when they ask a question.. try to learn some humility.. you may have done this much longer than me (or others).. I would love to have all the fruit you can grow.. eat one kind of fruit, and when that's over, eat another kind of fruit.. that's what I'm trying to build too for my family.. since I can't show her the world now, at least I can give her the world's fruits.. even if the tree just had one fruit over 10 years time, it's worth it for me to grow it..

Back to my question, if anyone cares to answer.. people have told me of La Mimosa and others, but they are still about 1 hour away (I actually work in Downtown LA, so I know).. usually I order my trees online and have them delivered.. I have been googling, but can't find other places that deliver.. the only ones are people from Florida.. so that's why I can only get the Florida varieties.. I know many people are against the Florida varieties, so I will probably cancel that order and get another tree.. I do have Lowes/Home Depot nearby, I'll check again.. normally during spring time they seem to have better varieties of everything..

I have no idea why people on this forum like to bully people. The fruit hierarchy is stupid. I am one person in Florida who LOVES the Florida avocados, and prefers them to the same old (yawn!) Hass. Consider people's tastebuds, why they take a fat and can't eat it without covering it in another fat... like deep-frying a stick of butter.

I was never a fan of avocados because the only one I had ever tried was what was in the store - Hass. It's pure fat, and not appealing to me. Then I moved to Florida and for the first time in my life saw these massive Florida avocados! So much food for one fruit! And if you eat it RIPE, very melting and certainly has fat, but with a balance of plant that actually tastes like you're eating a healthy FOOD, not simply guzzling a healthy oil. I find Choquettes or Halls to be amazing sliced in a rice paper wrapper with thin carrot and cucumber sticks and a little lettuce, and dipped into sweet chili dipping sauce. A full meal if you add some tofu sauteed with garlic and toasted sesame oil in the wraps! The Hall has more of a flavor like an almond - nutty and fatty but not something you can only have in small quantities added to something, like butter. To me, Hass is so fatty it's something you'd want to spread on something else to break up the fat, like on a piece of toast. Hall, when chosen correctly and allowed to ripen fully, is firm but easily smooshes under your fingers, has a lighter taste that goes great with lie or lemon juice, and is enjoyable to eat as slices by itself, or in a salad or sandwich. And just one fruit goes a long way, so you can make just a thin slice and close the halves back up in the fridge to leave the rest for later, and it does not get gross and brown so quickly as the Hass. Of course, some lemon or lime juice will still help prolong it.

For health benefits, the Choquette is a great choice, and should taste delicious if cared for well and allowed to ripen properly. I don't eat a ton of avocado, because I don't like to add fat to everything I'm eating, but I have planted Choquette and Hall seeds hoping for a happy sprout that if I'm lucky, will one day bear me a few fruits. They made me an avocado eater.

Forget those who come on here with attitude, assuming all people in the world have exactly the same taste buds and requirements for choosing fruit. Some of us live in the real world and need to be practical, and just get what we can afford or what can be shipped to our home, what is easy, or what is actually HEALTHIEST and not simply the option loaded with the highest amount of sugar/fat and the least fiber possible. Not everyone when asked about the greatest food on Earth, cites a a stick of fried butter at the carnival. Some people have palates for more complex and delicate flavors. And then again, some people want the stick of butter but the only tree that can be delivered to their house is the Choquette. What are you gonna do?

Happy growing, and ignore the people who want to report you to mods for not ordering a Hass! The Hass can go suck it in my opinion... Firm but melting Florida green avocados the size of your head are where it's at! And I know plenty of other Floridians who like me, prefer the local varieties to the Californian cultivars. Many of us prefer the taste, and they are easier to slice and use in recipes like for sandwiches or salads without going to slush. Plus, they make for pretty trees, and you'll be a real novelty out there given that many near you have probably never seen a huge green avocado like that!

Hass is a condiment. With Florida avocados, you can eat an entire half (bigger than a whole Hass!) and not feel guilty! It tastes like FOOD, not like mayonnaise. And some of us prefer that.

Just as a note, Florida/tropical avocados are more nutritious than Hass:

One cup of Florida avocado has 276 calories and 23 grams of fat.
One cup of Hass avocado has 384 calories and 35 grams of fat.
Florida avocados, for that lesser calorie count per cup (and more cups per $1 spent), contain higher protein, potassium, vitamin C, and magnesium levels than Hass.

So each person's taste will be individual. But tropical avocados have a lot in their favor, and many DO prefer their flavor and texture.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 01:20:02 AM by LivingParadise »

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2016, 01:33:03 AM »
Sorry to hear about your troubles - buy online, buy local, buy international never mind the expense, buy whatever you want from whoever you want and just grow em!

As for your cados I have no recommendation I just wanted to say keep trying to grow what you want. Not everyone can be an elite collector or such but there's space on this planet for all of us - don't even know why we're already trying to go greenthumbs on Mars with all the Mars One hype when the earth is and always will be where all of our dooryard gardens are going to be.

Keep gardening, keep growing, keep dreaming and just enjoy whatever time you can spare to this peaceful, relaxing hobby. Hope things turn out okay for your family in the long run.
Diggin in dirt and shifting compost - gardeners crossfit regime :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk