Author Topic: Papaya With and Without Urine Fertilizer Comparison  (Read 4024 times)

TerraFrutisEcuador

• Morona-Santiago Province, Ecuador
    • View Profile
    • TerraFrutis.com
Papaya With and Without Urine Fertilizer Comparison
« on: January 15, 2016, 01:59:51 PM »
So these images are from a set of 3 papayas that are planted about 10 months ago in may, the second image is of a papaya planted about 5 months ago in September.
The main difference is that the second image the papaya has been urinated on daily because it is outside my bedroom window and i get up to pee at night. The group of papayas has been urinated on occasionally and had compost put around them a few times. Another aspect is that one against the house has a cement foundation to grab onto. What are your experiences with using fresh or fermented urine as a fertilizer?

Note: you can see the 3 papayas in the background of the second image.

The flowers dont look to be holding onto the fruits or they are not getting pollinated in the first image?

This Papaya is growing faster than practically every other papaya plant in the yard :D

Updated Photo (feb 11th 2016) :D

« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 09:55:25 PM by TerraFrutisEcuador »

raimeiken

• Zone: 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Papaya With and Without Urine Fertilizer Comparison
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 04:05:34 PM »
this is both informative and hilarious LOL

I can't imagine myself peeing outside the window at my plants lol

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 04:19:01 PM »
Here is a link discussing making and using fermented urine fertilizer;

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=18677.0

It works well for fruit trees and other trees, I probably would stray away from it for tubers or leafy green crops. Best thing about urine is its free.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

BahamaDan

• BHS, Zone 12b Subtropics
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 05:00:38 PM »
Would the biuret present in some urea fertilizers be present in urine based fertilizer?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 05:54:35 PM »
Well established trees handle urine fine. Small plants can easily get burned by too much urea in urine. High protein diets are going to produce more urea in the urine. Also diets with lots of salts are going to produce urine high in salts, which is not so great for plants.
Oscar

TerraFrutisEcuador

• Morona-Santiago Province, Ecuador
    • View Profile
    • TerraFrutis.com
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 09:13:46 PM »
Well established trees handle urine fine. Small plants can easily get burned by too much urea in urine. High protein diets are going to produce more urea in the urine. Also diets with lots of salts are going to produce urine high in salts, which is not so great for plants.

:D Great that i eat a fruitarian based diet! Seems like there is almost no chance of my urine causing harm!! Awesome!

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 06:56:02 AM »
Very interesting....did you obtain similar results also with other species?

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 10:03:15 AM »
I agree Oscar, urinating my young 1.5 meters Durio Graveolens on a daily basis seem to be fine for around 30 days after that the leaves start to shrink,  I stop it immediately but since then 6 months ago no new growth at all and the plant looks bad,  the bud's start to form but doesn't open they just stop right there, I'm worry about missing it since then I haven't fertilized I think is trying to eliminate all the urea...
El verde es vida!

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 01:06:46 PM »
I agree Oscar, urinating my young 1.5 meters Durio Graveolens on a daily basis seem to be fine for around 30 days after that the leaves start to shrink,  I stop it immediately but since then 6 months ago no new growth at all and the plant looks bad,  the bud's start to form but doesn't open they just stop right there, I'm worry about missing it since then I haven't fertilized I think is trying to eliminate all the urea...

Put compost tea. The beneficial mocrobes will ingest the urea.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk