Author Topic: Edible Fruit Palm/Palms  (Read 49828 times)

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Edible Fruit Palm/Palms
« on: September 29, 2013, 11:11:23 PM »
I used to think that the 'date' palm was the only, quality, edible fruit palm. And, I'd always been jealous that it grew in the Spanish Canary Islands, where my grandma was from, but it doesn't bear fruit here in South Florida, USA.

After spending many years looking for a quality fruit bearing palm tree, Forum Member Nullzero recently reported about the 'Pindo' palm tree, for which I'm quite grateful. Now, I'm in the process of finding someone or a nursery that sells a quality specimen.

Today, I learned that another edible fruit palm, 'Vanuatu carpoxylon', which was  thought to be extinct, has been found alive and well, and is being propagated here in South Florida, USA!

The following is from an Article "by Kenneth Setzer/Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden: Rare Palm is Lost, then Rediscovered"

"These palms are originally from the remote volcanic island nation of Vanuatu in the South Pacific, about 1,000 miles east of Australia...This palm can grow to an impressive 50 feet tall, though some sources say it can grow much taller... Carpoxylons produce a beautiful large elliptical fruit, two incles or so long, maturing to a deep red. Their descriptive binomial name translaes into something like "large, woody seed." The fruits are edible, evidently tasting like coconut."
"Fairchild's specimens are flourishing outdoors in our subtropical clime, growing in the bright shade of taller palm species and in our rainsforest. If you have an area that fits the bill, there's no reason you can't grow this rare palm at home."

I wonder which fruit has the best quality fruit, the 'Pindo' palm, or the 'Vanuatu carpoxylon'. From what's known about the 'Pindo' palm fruit, I think it's hard to beat. All in all, some years ago I thought there were no quality fruit palms at my location, and now there are two, now that's what I call progress, thank you 'Fairchild Gardens'. The Article fails to decisively confirm, at least to for me, that this palm bears fruit here. I plan to call Fairchild and see if I can get confirmation.

Link to Article: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/09/28/3652440/from-extinction-to-your-yard-a.html
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 11:25:25 PM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
Re: Edible Fruit Palm/Palms
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 11:51:22 PM »
Ive seen a couple lists of edible palms that mention quite a number. Daves garden has one for example.
Shane

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 12:15:37 AM »
I haven't counted them, but there are probably hundreds of palms with edible fruits. The most famous are ofcourse  are the date, coconut, toddy, acai, and salak (of which there are many species). But in Brazil there are very many that are mostly only used locally, for example tucuma and buruti. If you look at the book Brazilian Flora Arecaceae, which lists all of the palms of Brazil, you can read about dozens of other palms with edible fruits.
Oscar

micah

• Waipio Valley, Hawaii, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 12:12:59 PM »
Anyone ever try the palm fruit astrocaryum murumuru? in the book Amazon River Fruits by Nigel Smith, It says its one of the favorite palm fruits for the natives.  The spines are gnarly...worse than salaks. 
Even th native loulu palm here in Hawaii is good to eat...the bigger fruited ones taste like a gummy coconut ball.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 10:57:52 PM »
Ive seen a couple lists of edible palms that mention quite a number. Daves garden has one for example.
Will look into it, thanks.

I haven't counted them, but there are probably hundreds of palms with edible fruits. The most famous are of course  are the date, coconut, toddy, acai, and salak (of which there are many species). But in Brazil there are very many that are mostly only used locally, for example tucuma and buruti. If you look at the book Brazilian Flora Arecaceae, which lists all of the palms of Brazil, you can read about dozens of other palms with edible fruits.
Thank you for putting together a nice, informative edible fruit palm list, I appreciate it. Yes, the superstars of edible fruit palms are undoubtedly the coconut and date palms.

The coconut is the king of the palms. It will produce fruit in just about all tropical and subtropical climates.

The date palm produces a fantastic fruit, but it's picky/choosy, it doesn't produce fruit in all tropical/sub-tropical climates, unlike coconut.

I wonder if anyone knows whether the toddy palm will produce fruit in South Florida USA. Is it edible raw?
The fruit has plenty of flesh. I've seen chefs on TV do some tasty looking recipes with it.

I'm pleasantly surprised by your comment that there are dozens of edible fruit palm trees in Brazil.
It would really be something to find in Brazil, a quality edible fruit palm that will produce fruit in just about all tropical and sub-tropical climates, just like the coconut does.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 11:00:49 PM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 11:10:55 PM »
Betel  ;)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 02:37:24 AM »
Will look into it, thanks.

I haven't counted them, but there are probably hundreds of palms with edible fruits. The most famous are of course  are the date, coconut, toddy, acai, and salak (of which there are many species). But in Brazil there are very many that are mostly only used locally, for example tucuma and buruti. If you look at the book Brazilian Flora Arecaceae, which lists all of the palms of Brazil, you can read about dozens of other palms with edible fruits.
Thank you for putting together a nice, informative edible fruit palm list, I appreciate it. Yes, the superstars of edible fruit palms are undoubtedly the coconut and date palms.

The coconut is the king of the palms. It will produce fruit in just about all tropical and subtropical climates.

The date palm produces a fantastic fruit, but it's picky/choosy, it doesn't produce fruit in all tropical/sub-tropical climates, unlike coconut.

I wonder if anyone knows whether the toddy palm will produce fruit in South Florida USA. Is it edible raw?
The fruit has plenty of flesh. I've seen chefs on TV do some tasty looking recipes with it.

I'm pleasantly surprised by your comment that there are dozens of edible fruit palm trees in Brazil.
It would really be something to find in Brazil, a quality edible fruit palm that will produce fruit in just about all tropical and sub-tropical climates, just like the coconut does.

I wish what you say about coconuts was true, but it isn't, they don't produce well, and usually not at all, in the subtropics. You can see that very clearly here, they don't fruit well at above 1000 foot elevation, where it is just a tad cooler.
Toddy palms is a lot more widely adapted than coconut. My guess is that it would fruit, at least in southernmost Florida. It also is extremely drought tolerant. I've eaten it many times. It is delicious raw to eat, and to drink, just like coconut.
Really this topic of edible palms is big enough to have it's own forum or sub section in this forum. You may only know of a few edible palms, but that doesn't mean that hundreds don't actually exist.
BTW, another palm product that is very popular, especially in South America, is hearts of palm. This is central core of tree and is made from many different species. Very tasty! Considered connoiseur.
Oscar

Tao2

• temperate south end of planet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 06:21:29 AM »
The Chilean palm (jubaea) has a miniature coconuts the size of a plum............very good tasting....50 years from seed to fruit......and the jelly palm (Butia capitata) much faster growing...fruit the size and similar in taste as the plum....both tolerate temperate zones...as does the date palm with some shelter.........slow growth and may never produce mature fruit......but might produce sap for palm sugar...I have 3 growing under some gums..........tolerating winter night temps of -3c..........

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 01:08:10 PM »
I have 2 seedling Jubaeas which I'm told will take about 20 years to fruit. They are beautiful, fat palms, fattest of all the palms! The fruit looks and tastes just like a miniature coconut. I have some every time I go to Chile.

Jaime

Tao2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 12:25:03 AM »
20 years.............that's good news...................I got 10 seeds from ebay............I've tried different techniques to germinated them................as I read they are hard to germinate ................They are a really good tasting nut, a bit like a macadam nut....................I am surprised they aren't more common .....a beautiful looking palm................ 

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 01:05:42 AM »
Thank you everyone for all your interesting/informative comments.

I gather then that the toddy palm is more suitable to tropical than to sub-tropical conditions. This must be the case since I've never heard of it in S. Florida.

It seems that the best chance/hope to find another quality edible fruit palm is to go on a search expedition to Brazil. The next step would be to determine the climate(s) it likes to bear fruit in.

Another solution to have more edible fruit palms that bear fruit in more climates, is to plant and propagate seedlings. In this way, new and better quality strains will be found.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 09:52:52 PM by LEOOEL »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 01:31:05 AM »

I gather then that the toddy palm is more suitable to tropical than to sub-tropical conditions. This must be the case since I've never heard of it in S. Florida.

I seems that the best chance/hope to find another quality edible fruit palm is to go on a search expedition to Brazil. The next step would be to determine the climate(s) it likes to bear fruit in.

Another solution to have more edible fruit palms that bear fruit in more climates, is to plant and propagate seedlings. In this way, new and better quality strains will be found.
I just remembered that they have fruiting Borassus aethiopicus at Fairchild gardens. This is a kissing cousin of the toddy palm. If you look for toddy palm in S. Florida my guess is that it's already growing there, you just don't know about it because you never looked for it before. Your local palm society chapter can lead you in right direction.
Oscar

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 02:46:26 AM »
Maybe.. Mauritia flexuosa !!

Moh'd

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 04:52:36 AM »

This candy i ate many times in Thailand, i think it is the toddy palm fruit.

murraystevena2

• Plants on family farm in Bakersfield area and some things where i stay during the week in riverside
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 12:52:11 PM »
Here are some Butia capitata or jelly palm fruits

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2013, 06:51:07 PM »
Here are some Butia capitata or jelly palm fruits

Nice Jelly Palm fruits, looks like a great flesh to seed ratio. How was the taste?
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Tao2

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2013, 12:38:53 AM »
I found the jelly fruit ok..........very mild taste (almost tasteless, at least the ones I tried in our botanical garden)...easy to eat..............I have some young plants growing ....a good looking fast growing tree..even in my cool climate...............totally recommend..........

micah

• Waipio Valley, Hawaii, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2013, 12:51:43 AM »

Here's some bactris sp (setosa?) we grow. It taste good when super ripe..scant pulp, sweet, super crazy spines on the palm...almost not worth it...border plant...keep out! I think it's pretty tropical...for growing

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2013, 12:34:37 AM »
It seems the 'Toddy Palm' is also called 'Palmyra Palm' There are about 5 different species of the 'Palmyra Palm.'

I called and left a message at Fairchild Tropical Botanical Garden, to inquire about the 'Toddy/Palmyra Palm,' but got no reply; will try again.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2013, 12:58:35 AM »
It seems the 'Toddy Palm' is also called 'Palmyra Palm' There are about 5 different species of the 'Palmyra Palm.'

I called and left a message at Fairchild Tropical Botanical Garden, to inquire about the 'Toddy/Palmyra Palm,' but got no reply; will try again.

The Introduction of Borassus Palm into Florida by David Fairchild:
http://www.ftg.org/uploads/docs/CTPC/Javier/OCASSIONAL_PAPERS/Occasional_Paper_No_15.pdf
Looks like both Fairchild Gardens and Chapman Field have them.
Oscar

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2013, 05:47:48 AM »

Wow, never heard of that one.  Looks surprisingly like salak - are they related?  What's the taste like?
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2013, 06:34:28 AM »

There are 5 species of Borassus. Palmyra palm, or toddy palm, are common names referring to the species Borassus flabellifer.
Oscar

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2013, 08:23:53 AM »

Wow, never heard of that one.  Looks surprisingly like salak - are they related?  What's the taste like?

They are from the same subfamily Calamoideae. The fruit is very rich with oil and Beta-carotene (vitamin A). About the taste, I have no idea  :'(.
Moh'd

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2013, 09:17:21 AM »

I seems that the best chance/hope to find another quality edible fruit palm is to go on a search expedition to Brazil. The next step would be to determine the climate(s) it likes to bear fruit in.

I just remembered that they have fruiting Borassus aethiopicus at Fairchild gardens. This is a kissing cousin of the toddy palm. If you look for toddy palm in S. Florida my guess is that it's already growing there, you just don't know about it because you never looked for it before. Your local palm society chapter can lead you in right direction.

Borassus aethiopum. My slowest growing tree/palm ...
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2013, 06:21:31 PM »

They are from the same subfamily Calamoideae. The fruit is very rich with oil and Beta-carotene (vitamin A). About the taste, I have no idea  :'(.

I ate buriti (Mauritia flexuosa) in Brazil. They grow wild there in any low lands that flood. I thought the fruit was pretty good tasting. Yes it's very oily and rich. My Brazilian host told me a lot of people in Brazil don't like it because of strong taste. It's really more oily than fruity tasting. Probably great mixed with other foods like rice.
If related to salak it's a very distant relative. Buriti doesn't look anything like salak: has no thorns, and is a very tall and large palm.
Oscar