Author Topic: Picking Sanbokan  (Read 553 times)

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Picking Sanbokan
« on: January 27, 2021, 02:48:09 AM »
Can anyone who is growing Sanbokan tell me when to pick the fruit when it is ripe?
I only have 3 fruits on my grafted tree so I don't want to pick it until it tastes the best. I will compare the taste of this one to my NZ Lemonaide.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
Re: Picking Sanbokan
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 06:37:18 AM »
Sanbokan are rip here mid December. Try one, they look good to go.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 11:24:14 AM »
When to pick depends on where the tree is grown.  I have an inground Dekopon tree, and picked a fruit yesterday (1-26-21). The fruit was not quite ready yet.  I will wait for another week or two.  In Japan, after picking the Dekopon crop, the fruit is put into crates for 2 to 4 weeks to cure.  Doing so reduces the acid content and raises the sugar content.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 12:35:37 PM »
Laaz, ok I will try one today. I usually can tell when the fruit feels heavy on the tree (ripe) and these do not. Will give feedback later tonight. I will be comparing this fruit to the NZ lemonade fruit. I hope the Sanbokan tastes decent/good since the grafted branches grow very strong. I grafted 5 scions a three weeks ago and they are already growing leaves. My NZ lemonade tastes good, but my grafted branches grow slow so I haven't gotten that many fruits (10 fruits, 3 grafted branches).

Millet, I experienced the same thing with my Dekopon fruits. I picked some in December and Jan and it was still not ripe (not sweet). So now I have three fruits left and I will wait until mid-Feb and hope it tastes sweet as last years fruits.