Author Topic: Avocado's pink SE Asian cousin, Litsea garciae  (Read 3487 times)

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
Avocado's pink SE Asian cousin, Litsea garciae
« on: September 25, 2012, 07:47:38 PM »

You can pick these in the Bogor Botanical Garden in Java in December and January.  It has a mild flavour, not sweet,  lots of fat and nothing unpleasant about it.  Eaten locally with rice.   No species map at the gate, so you will have to search many acres to find it.

Does anyone know if this tree is available for sale in FL or HI?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Avocado's pink SE Asian cousin, Litsea garciae
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 08:50:03 PM »
Red durio

Oscar has some fruiting for the first time this year, in Hawaii, and the fruits looked white not pink...if I'm not mistaken.

in FL I don't know of any nursey who stocks this rarity, bit Excalibur would be the one that has it if anyone.

I've thought of growing this, but I'd like to keep it small for container culture...to my understanding the tree would be hard to keep under 10 ft.   I'd love to try to grow a marcott!  and keep it small!

thanks for posting about this cool tree.   I wonder how it handles fusarium wilt?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

tabbydan

• Washington DC area
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 09:24:42 PM »
If you check out the Bali Botanical Gardens they have tons of relatives.  I tried Litsea sp?  It was tasty but a bit too strong for eating out of hand by itself, probably good as a savory garnish.  Fatty with strong aromatic flavors.
What's that got to do with Jose Andres $10 brussel sprouts?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 03:02:18 AM »

You can pick these in the Bogor Botanical Garden in Java in December and January.  It has a mild flavour, not sweet,  lots of fat and nothing unpleasant about it.  Eaten locally with rice.   No species map at the gate, so you will have to search many acres to find it.

Does anyone know if this tree is available for sale in FL or HI?

Hi Red durian, Yes i have engkala here (Litsea garciae) and they fruited for first time this summer. I started a thread about it here: http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=995.0 where i posted photos of flowers, fruits starting to fruit and mature fruits. For some strange reason they all matured white exterior.
Oscar

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 03:28:01 AM »
Beautiful photos of this beautiful fruit.  They are like Christmas Tree Ornaments.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 03:42:23 AM »
Beautiful photos of this beautiful fruit.  They are like Christmas Tree Ornaments.

It's a nice looking tree, pretty flowers, and the fruits are like little gems. Only difficult part is that fruits ripen very fast and all drop to the ground. Unlike avocado the trees don't hold the fruit for very long.
Oscar

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 03:58:09 AM »
Sorry to duplicate your post in such an inferior way.  I will search before posting next time. :-[

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 04:05:23 AM »
Sorry to duplicate your post in such an inferior way.  I will search before posting next time. :-[

No sweat. Always happy to read about engkala. This forum does have a good search frature and there are many thousands of posts in the archive so plenty of good info there.
Oscar

tabbydan

• Washington DC area
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 07:33:49 AM »
I don't have a lot of experience with this fruit but I thought there were three possible final colorings (for the skin): purple, pink, white.

I made a special trip to Beidou in Taiwan (I was at Taipei at the time) to search for the fruit (I read online that it grew around a small temple there).  I found it growing around the temple but only the plants that seemed to be in the septic field were fruiting (they had purple fruits).
What's that got to do with Jose Andres $10 brussel sprouts?

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 08:42:41 PM »
Here is the link to Oscar's post about engkala: http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=995.0

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk