Author Topic: Can passionfruit be grown in Minnesota (Twin cities area)?  (Read 1737 times)

CherimoyaDude

• San Francisco / Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
Can passionfruit be grown in Minnesota (Twin cities area)?
« on: October 04, 2019, 01:07:16 PM »
If so, which species / cultivar should I try?

usirius

• Never give up!
    • Southern Germany, 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Can passionfruit be grown in Minnesota (Twin cities area)?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 03:14:26 PM »
According to my long tome experiences is  Zone 7b the limit for growing Passiflora without any larger winter pprotection  efforts.  Passiflora caerulea and Passiflora incarnata both are growing well in Zone 7b -best way us to plant them clise to a building. Passiflora incarnata freezes down and grows new very late in following June -but mire warly when  helping by protecting its rooting area with old leafes and begin of  March put away this  foliage and protect this  area by a glass or fool construction for better warmi ng up and  as consequence more early  growing. Its fruits sre edible. Pasdiflora caerulea fors not freeze down in Zone 7b but its fruits are often empty
„May your choices reflect your hopes, not your fears.“ N. Mandela

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 04:50:38 PM »
I would totally try p incarnata. I’m too lazy to google its cold hardiness but might as well. Your issue may be that the summer is not long enough to ripen fruits, however.
You will need two non-clone plants for fruit set.

Like usirius said, I would mound leaves or some kind of mulch over the site in the winter.

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 01:28:18 AM »
Sheffields Seeds Claims they harvest there seeds from a Minnesota type (CLick On the  picture of the seeds)
I am not sure if that is Indoors or outdoors , but
I know passiflora Incarnata can grow in -20 I've seen it , but never did see it fruit around here (never looked though)
It was in the open on someones fence when I was a kid but haven't seen it around

(new owners probally killed it long ago way before any polor vortex since I haven't seen it for years)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 02:12:25 AM by Francis_Eric »

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 01:34:24 AM »
CLick On the  picture of the seeds
https://sheffields.com/seeds-for-sale/Passiflora/incarnata///////3077/Purple-Passionflower,-Maypop,-Wild-Passion-Flower,-Wild-Apricot,-Wild-Passion-Vine,-True-Passionflower/Purple-Passionflower,-Maypop,-Wild-Passion-Flower,-Wild-Apricot,-Wild-Passion-Vine,-True-Passionflower

Edible Uses: Fruit - raw or cooked in jellies, jams etc. A sweet flavour, it is best when used as a jelly.High in niacin. Fairly large, the fruit is up to 5cm in diameter though it contains relatively little ediblepulp and a lot of seeds. Leaves - raw or cooked. Said to be delicious as a cooked vegetable or wheneaten in salads. Flowers - cooked as a vegetable or made into syrup.

Medicinal Uses: Maypops is a valuable sedative and tranquillising herb with a long history of use in NorthAmerica. It is frequently used in the treatment of insomnia, epilepsy, hysteria etc. The leaves and stemsare antispasmodic, astringent, diaphoretic, hypnotic, narcotic, sedative, vasodilator and are also used inthe treatment of women's complaints. The plant is harvested after some of the berries have matured andis then dried for later use. It is used in the treatment of insomnia, nervous tension, irritability, neuralgia,irritable bowel syndrome, pre-menstrual tension and vaginal discharges. An extract of the plant depressesthe motor nerves of the spinal cord[213], it is also slightly sedative, slightly reduces blood pressure andincreases respiratory rate. The plant contains alkaloids and flavonoids that are an effective non-addictivesedative that does not cause drowsiness. The plant is not recommended for use during pregnancy. Apoultice of the roots is applied to boils, cuts, earaches, inflammation etc]. The dried plant is exportedfrom America to Europe for medicinal usage. A homeopathic remedy is made from the plant. The GermanCommission E Monographs, a therapeutic guide to herbal medicine, approve Passiflora incarnata for nervousness& insomnia .

QUoted from Sheffeilds
Wiki description:
Passiflora incarnata , commonly known as Maypop , Purple passionflower , True passionflower , Wild apricot , and Wild passion vine , is a fast growing perennial vine with climbing or trailing stems. A member of the passionflower genus Passiflora , the Maypop has large, intricate flowers with prominent styles and stamens. One of the hardiest species of passionflower, it is a common wildflower in the southern United States . The Cherokee in the Tennessee area called it ocoee ; the Ocoee River and valley are named after this plant, which is the Tennessee State Wildflower .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk