Author Topic: What do you use to label plants?  (Read 2717 times)

CherimoyaDude

• San Francisco / Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
What do you use to label plants?
« on: June 15, 2020, 05:08:24 PM »
Was looking into buying some of those aluminum tags, does anyone have a brand they recommend - or some completely different way to label? Want something durable that won't peel apart or fade in a few years.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
Re: What do you use to label plants?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 05:50:52 PM »
I got this product from amazon https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Plant-Outdoor-Marker-Labels/dp/B00TQMQ4TO

It has worked well.  Unfortunately it is shiny and some birds love pecking at it. 
Also, the tie has broken off on a couple leaving my graft unlabelled.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 06:06:35 PM »
I make my own from used aluminium spray cans wich i cut and use the metal.
Then i engrave them with a dremel engraver ( the hammering tool -makes lots noize) and finally i use a copper wire to attach them loosely on the trees after i drill a hole in the tag.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 06:11:54 PM by SeaWalnut »

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 07:24:52 PM »
I tried using aluminum cans but my handwriting is terrible and the edges are sharp, it was a pain.

I now use the old-style embossing Dymo labelmaker.  I know the plastic will eventually fail in the sun, but so far they have held up well.  They make a metal-tape embossing one that would be perfect but it is way too expensive to justify.  I punch a small hole and use a zip tie to attach

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 07:32:52 PM »
I tried using aluminum cans but my handwriting is terrible and the edges are sharp, it was a pain.

I now use the old-style embossing Dymo labelmaker.  I know the plastic will eventually fail in the sun, but so far they have held up well.  They make a metal-tape embossing one that would be perfect but it is way too expensive to justify.  I punch a small hole and use a zip tie to attach
Use aluminium from spray cans not beer or coca cola cans.
The spray cans aluminium its a lot thicker and less sharp but you need an engraving machine to write on it.
Or an èmbossy letter and numbers kit,where you hammer gently each letter.
This is what i would use and i think its better than dremel engraver.Punch stamp for metal kit.https://www.ebay.com/itm/36pcs-6mm-Number-Letter-Punch-Set-Box-Stamp-Metal-Steel-Stamping-Tool-/203018584979
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 07:37:10 PM by SeaWalnut »

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2020, 08:11:41 PM »
I posted about this before.  It depends how many you are doing to see if it would be worth the expense but using a Dymo Rhino with metal tape works great.  The attached thread describes how I attach them to PVC pipe (as stakes).  It has been holding up for years with no issues & is as legible as the day I made them.  An added plus is that the PVC pipe gets easily destroyed by a bush hog or lawn tractor without any damage to the mowing machine if some idiot rides over them while mowing (which wouldn't be the case if you used something like rebar for the stake).  If you opt to use this method, spend a little more & use SS screws (reg screws sure don't last well in HI). 

John

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=18537.0

CherimoyaDude

• San Francisco / Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2020, 09:09:52 PM »
I posted about this before.  It depends how many you are doing to see if it would be worth the expense but using a Dymo Rhino with metal tape works great.  The attached thread describes how I attach them to PVC pipe (as stakes).  It has been holding up for years with no issues & is as legible as the day I made them.  An added plus is that the PVC pipe gets easily destroyed by a bush hog or lawn tractor without any damage to the mowing machine if some idiot rides over them while mowing (which wouldn't be the case if you used something like rebar for the stake).  If you opt to use this method, spend a little more & use SS screws (reg screws sure don't last well in HI). 

John

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=18537.0

How many labels have you made? I am concerned about durability of the embosser if I were to shell out that much for a tool, would be pissed if it broke

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2020, 10:59:07 PM »

How many labels have you made? I am concerned about durability of the embosser if I were to shell out that much for a tool, would be pissed if it broke

hundreds

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2020, 11:25:51 PM »
Thanks for the punch tool idea, I like this way better than paying $200+ for a Dymo Rhino.  I have a pretty low opinion of Dymo products but they don’t seem to have any competition

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2020, 01:26:13 AM »
I have been using these aluminum tags for a while, seems to be priced right and works.

https://pacforest.com/Item/622

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2020, 01:33:38 AM »
I have been using these aluminum tags for a while, seems to be priced right and works.

https://pacforest.com/Item/622

I use these as well for the short term, but I expect them to last at least a couple years.

For long term, I use thicker metal, either canned food lids, or pringles can bottoms, I use stamp style letters to write on them and hammer them. It takes longer to make these and is supply dependent, so I use it on the branches I know I'm keeping.

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2020, 09:09:58 PM »
These labels are inexpensive and last for a few years. A lot easier than cutting up spray cans!
FloridaGreenMan

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2020, 06:48:53 PM »
Okay so I ordered one of the stamp kits that SeaWalnut suggested.  It seems very nice, however it is too much for the metal label tape that I have, it kind of mangled it.

says "MORO" for Moro blood orange

Now, this tape is DYMO aluminum  tape meant for the Rhino (the metal dymo embosser which is ~$200).  I ordered it long ago thinking I could use it with any of their embossers, only to discover it is wider (not thicker) than the plastic tape and won't fit in the device.  It feels really cheap and I believe is the same thickness as an aluminum can.  In fact it is so thin I was thinking it would probably work fine in my cheapo plastic embosser if I cut it to fit.  And it does!  It got a bit wrinkled while I was feeding it in, and you have to tug on it very slightly to help it feed each letter.

So I wondered if instead of using the embosser I could just write on it with a pen.  And that works fine also, using medium pressure.

My hole punch works fine on it also.

So I am thinking nobody should spend $200 on a dymo rhino, because you could just write on the same tape it uses with a pen, or find an aluminum tape that fits in the cheapo labelmakers, or cut it to size.  Even with any of these, though, I wouldn't bother because the flimsy metal is almost certain to bend and tear with handling. 

Using a thicker metal and the hammer/stamp kit is almost certainly the way to go for trees you really care about.  I don't have any empty spray cans to cut up, but thicker metal sheep and nice pre-made metal tags are readily available. 
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 06:53:57 PM by brian »

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2020, 07:40:19 PM »
I tried some random aluminum and thin steel sheet metal I had laying around, didn't really get good results with it though.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2020, 08:43:09 PM »
What anvil did you use? Metal anvil for these punchers i think its what you need but you also have to use thicker aluminium sheets.
The spray can aluminum has a coat of laquer inside and paint outside( the label of the spray).
Dont worry about inesthetic paint and laquer as they will dissapear over the years.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 09:54:48 PM by SeaWalnut »

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2020, 09:19:16 PM »
I was using a block of wood as an “anvil”.  Figured metal would bounce.  Ill try a few other things
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 09:22:07 PM by brian »

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2022, 11:32:38 PM »
Brian did you ever come up with anything better?  I need to get serious about tagging.  Thry have 100mpacks of blankmdog tags on amazon thwt look ok. 
Brad Spaugh

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2022, 01:49:42 AM »
Brad, here's where I buy my aluminum tags. They have 3 types you can buy.
I just use the aluminum wrap over cardboard. But these tags can get chewed up by critters (rats, squires). The solid aluminum tag will work better if you want long term life.

https://pacforest.com/Category/Aluminum-Tags

Stomata

• Sarasota Florida. 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2022, 09:13:12 PM »
old white windowshade off the side of the road, write on it with pencil, these tags will last for years

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2022, 11:13:25 PM »
Brad, here's where I buy my aluminum tags. They have 3 types you can buy.
I just use the aluminum wrap over cardboard. But these tags can get chewed up by critters (rats, squires). The solid aluminum tag will work better if you want long term life.

https://pacforest.com/Category/Aluminum-Tags

Thanks, i may try some solid ones. 

I have the metal over paper ones and threy dont hold up long enough.  They bend and break too easily.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 11:27:33 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

Malhar

• Irvine CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2022, 12:51:21 AM »
I have been using these for some time now:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QXT1BQL/

They are made up of a single layer of aluminum, fairly easy to write on and don't break down like the other ones which have card board inside.

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2022, 06:25:59 PM »
I use aluminum cans. I label the aluminum using a dead ballpoint pen (with no ink in it, to not make a mess) and, with some cardboard beneath, press down firmly to write down (basically engrave) all the pertinent information on the label. I put the botanical name, common name or names, year of purchase, and who I purchased the plant from on my labels, but that is simply a personal choice as to what information I want on my labels. I use aluminum wire, not copper, for the label to prevent any corrosion between dissimilar metals. I also do not attach the wire directly to the plant; I make stakes (out of aluminum or cedar) and place those inside my pots next to the plant. That latter practice might not be the best option for people labeling plants in their yard.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2022, 06:29:05 PM »
The aluminum tags work nice, but when you have a large collection the easiest thing ive seen is using the white sharpie on pots.

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2022, 06:33:21 PM »
The aluminum tags work nice, but when you have a large collection the easiest thing ive seen is using the white sharpie on pots.

I only use my aluminum tag method on plants I'm keeping permanently in my collection. Extra plants I'm growing for the purpose of selling get labeled with a Sharpie.

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2022, 07:48:54 PM »
I made a map from my lot survey using some simple CAD software and a photo of my survey.