Author Topic: first Flame grapefruit  (Read 1188 times)

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
first Flame grapefruit
« on: February 08, 2020, 12:50:03 PM »
This is the very first fruit I've gotten from it.  It started in a container a couple years ago, took a huge hit from scale, I planted it in ground in my greenhouse last spring and it is now doing great.

Not much coloration on the outside, I was letting it hang but it came off as I was inspecting it.  Really juicy, nice color inside, not very sweet compared to grocery store ruby grapefruits.  Not sure if it needed more heat or if this type is simply less sweet. 

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: first Flame grapefruit
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 02:35:07 PM »
Btian, like I always say...."Good things come to those who wait".

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 04:20:54 PM »
Grapefruits need a lot of heat as they develop to achieve desired sweetness.  Not sure Pennsylvania gets hot enough for long enough to allow a grapefruit to ever get very sweet. Even here in Houston I have to let my Rio Red GF hang into January at least to get the sweetness I like.  Your fruit looks great and hopefully in the green house you can give it can get enough heat units to develop the flavor you want. 
Also, the fruit tastes better as the tree matures.  My in-ground GF is about 10 years old and really it just began developing the wonderful grapefruitiness flavor I love the past year or two. Your tree just may need more time.
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 04:29:26 PM »
Great post Yorgos. I remember a post by Malcolm Manners where he wrote, "The best grapefruit I ever ate was a white seedless Marsh grapefruit picked from a 25 year old tree".

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 08:17:47 AM »
It gets pretty hot in Pennsylvania in summer, but the growing season is short.  I have my greenhouse foggers set to keep it under 95F or else it would be >110F inside on sunny warm days.  Even in the winter if it is 40F outside but full sun the greenhouse will easily be 80-90F.

I will simply wait and see how the next couple crops turn out.  The tree is growing rapidly, it should easily reach the greenhouse roof/fans in the next couple years.

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 02:36:15 PM »
It gets pretty hot in Pennsylvania in summer, but the growing season is short.  I have my greenhouse foggers set to keep it under 95F or else it would be >110F inside on sunny warm days.  Even in the winter if it is 40F outside but full sun the greenhouse will easily be 80-90F.

I will simply wait and see how the next couple crops turn out.  The tree is growing rapidly, it should easily reach the greenhouse roof/fans in the next couple years.

I'm sure it gets hot in PA.  In the Rio Grande valley that produces the best GFs in the world it gets into the 80's and 90's by April (if not earlier) and strays hot until Thanksgiving. With you greenhouse temps you have a shot at some pretty good GF.  At least they look great!
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a