Author Topic: Rooting DF cuttings?  (Read 2305 times)

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Rooting DF cuttings?
« on: October 16, 2015, 05:01:54 AM »
I have 4 DF cuttings of Selenicereus megalanthus 20cm long since last year. The cuttings remain the same as the first day
I tried one of them to root with hormone without success!
Is someone in the forum with more experience and with advices how to root the cuttings?
Mike

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Rooting DF cuttings?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 05:24:13 AM »
While it seems that they are taking a long time to root, chances are they will root eventually. Why they haven't set any roots yet I don't know but plants are a mystery sometime. If the cuttings still look fine then they are probably OK and you have little to worry about. If you have multiple cutting and can risk a couple, cut them again close to the base, start again, and see how that goes. Sometimes that will shock them into setting roots but experience has taught me that sometimes a cutting will die no matter what you do, even expensive ones. Some you win, some you lose. Good luck.

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 06:14:50 AM »

i had 4 DF cuttings a coupe of years ago
none would root. i had lost 3
then finally, after months, the other one took off.

I recently had to cut it back
and now have several segments.
it seems like they all rooted right away.

i have a theory that the cutting can sense if it is getting water and touching earth
(which tells it to start producing roots)
If the cutting  senses water on part of itself
and light on the other part, then something tells it to put out roots.
wild speculation at this point, but, i make sure all my new cuttings
get dappled light on 1/2, and occasional water on the other.

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 06:30:14 AM »
Sounds like good info to me. My cuttings are always in dappled light and they generally get a bit of moisture from me watering other plants or from rain. Most survive and flourish but occasionally one just won't make it no matter what you do.

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 07:38:14 AM »
My cuttings are so fresh like the first day. I only have 4 cuttings
From time to time they develop aerial roots on the top of the cuts but the dry out short after.
After the replays here i will try some alternatives :  cut one close to the base another cut in half and start again the rooting process
I have rooted many DF cuttings from Hylocereus Undatus It was so easy!
Mike

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 08:10:55 AM »
I do have one variety that never grew roots from the cut end of the plant. It grew aerial roots about 5cm above the base of the cutting and they grew into the soil from there. Maybe you could lay your cutting flat so the aerials can grow directly into the soil. I assume that is how it would happen if a branch broke off in the wild.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 11:46:41 AM »
Did you heal the cut before planting? You can gently dig down to see if any roots have formed. Also check to see if there is any rot on any part of the plant below the soil line. If there is no rot and if you see roots, you should see growth soon, especially in warm weather.

When I try to get faster rooting and growth on DF cuttings, I give them bottom heat around 90+ degrees. From what I e experienced, this greatly accelerates rooting and growth. Be very cautious of overly wet soils for non rooted cuttings. They can easily rot at the base if too wet for too long without roots.

Simon

mcclan3

• Texas, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 01:11:21 PM »
I know most people let theirs scar a bit before trying to root them, but I've always had great success with sticking the cutting straight in the dirt. Its pretty warm where I am, and my DF are in full sun so I attribute most of the success to the heat.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 02:41:09 PM »
Be careful with abusing rooting hormone. In some cases, applying too much will inhibit rooting.
DF should root rapidly with or without hormone. The only thing I can think of is your soil might be too dense. Use a mix with good drainage and, therefore, good aeration.

TheWaterbug

• Palos Verdes, CA, Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2015, 06:59:06 PM »
i have a theory that the cutting can sense if it is getting water and touching earth
(which tells it to start producing roots)

They can definitely tell when they're touching something. As my DF (Hylocereus) vine climbs through my trellis it sends out a spray of aerial roots in multiple places where it actually touches the wood of the trellis.
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk