Author Topic: Best Tasting Garcinias?  (Read 4416 times)

Schutzhund

• United States, Los Angeles, CA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Best Tasting Garcinias?
« on: February 07, 2017, 11:58:30 PM »
Hello, I just wanted to know which garcinias have the best taste, and what are people's favorites? I would be happy to hear people's experience.

Garcinia

• Horticultural addict
  • The philosopher of fruit
    • Marin, California, zones 9b and 10a (though I keep most plants in a greenhouse)
    • View Profile
Re: Best Tasting Garcinias?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 12:03:17 AM »
I would love to know as well.
The hardest plants to grow are often those most worth growing.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 08:51:25 AM »
There is a few post around the forum covering this subject.
From what i remember Lucs (limoncillo) Garcinia sp. seems to well liked by anyone who has tried it.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 11:10:34 AM »
There are really a lot.  Of ones I have tried they might go in this order:
Mangosteen
cherapu
Achacharu
Brunei cherry
Lemon drop
There are several others that are too sour for me to compare with these or that I haven't tried like Luc's or g. Magnifolia
Peter

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 01:57:55 PM »
Mangosteen
cherapu
Achacharu
Brunei cherry
Lemon drop
There are several others that are too sour for me to compare with these or that I haven't tried like Luc's or g. Magnifolia
Peter

Would add g.macrophylla and g.acuminata - both have good taste but makes you wish for somewhat better flesh to seed ratio.

Schutzhund

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 06:21:11 PM »
The only that I have tried is the Purple Mangosteen, and I wanted to know what other good tasting garcinias are out there so I can purchase and grow

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 09:43:25 PM »
Mangosteen
cherapu
Achacharu
Brunei cherry
Lemon drop
Peter

Would add g.macrophylla and g.acuminata - both have good taste but makes you wish for somewhat better flesh to seed ratio.

Is g macrophylla sweet? I read somewhere that it is sweet and tart while others say they are sweet

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 10:35:40 PM »
Mangosteen
cherapu
Achacharu
Brunei cherry
Lemon drop
Peter

Is g macrophylla sweet? I read somewhere that it is sweet and tart while others say they are sweet

More of a mix of sweet and tart. I wouldn't group them in the sour class. You can eat them from yellowIsh color to orangeish color but before cracking. Yellow will be a little more tart and more firm flesh but still sweet and not too sour. Just wish there was more flesh :)

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2017, 02:01:56 AM »
Mangosteen
cherapu
Achacharu
Brunei cherry
Lemon drop
Peter

More of a mix of sweet and tart. I wouldn't group them in the sour class. You can eat them from yellowIsh color to orangeish color but before cracking. Yellow will be a little more tart and more firm flesh but still sweet and not too sour. Just wish there was more flesh :)

Sweet and tart like a navel orange and langsat ? Then this fruit is in my wish list  ;)

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 04:40:12 AM »
definitely cherapu. 

MarvelMango

• Bokeelia 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 07:29:57 AM »
Mangosteen
cherapu
Achacharu
Brunei cherry
Lemon drop
Peter

Sweet and tart like a navel orange and langsat ? Then this fruit is in my wish list  ;)

Never had a navel orange that was tart.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 03:47:26 PM by MarvelMango »
Quentin

abimael777

• USA Puerto Rico plant zone 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2017, 03:45:38 PM »
My favority Garcinias are:
Mangosteen
Garcinia sp. Rusty
Achachairu
Garcinia magnifolia( giant madroņo)
And some Garcinias sp.

Birdman

• San Pedro California USA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2017, 08:44:26 PM »
All time favorite is the Bolivian. I'm also partial to lemon drop and, believe it or not xanthochymus. Haven't had a chance to try Luc's but i'm looking forward to it if I live long enough. To tell you the truth I like purple mangosteen but not crazy about it.

Schutzhund

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2017, 03:20:26 PM »
Right now I'm currently growing Purple mangosteen, Lemon drop mangosteen, and Achachairu. But I'm considering getting more Garcinias and wanted to get some people's opinion on what others have the best flavor.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2017, 06:54:19 PM »
Mangosteen, I presume Lucs,the seetest dulcis lines,Russells sweet might be top tier. Achachiuru and related south American species like madruno,lemon drop,bicuda,and a few others might be second tier. Third tier could be sourer dulcis,,brunie cherry with sour ones like xanthochymus in a class of their own.Asian and American members of the genus might be best separated in any rating because they are so different.

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2017, 07:46:03 PM »
I tasted quiet a few : Number one is definitely the mangosteen , # 2 would be Luc's , sweetest when perfectly ripe , # 3 is achachairu ( they seem to get even better the older the trees are ) I'd put gardneriana and dulcis on the same level , Raul and I had the luck to run into a dulcis in Lancetilla Honduras that was perfectly ripe , I feel that the name DULCIS (  sweet ) in not really accurate . The gardneriana has the advantage of not being such a huge tree .

Noticed some flowers on a ' lost tag ' Garcinia today , strangely enough all the flowers are in the ' shade part ' flowered last year also so I may have a nice surprise even if it's not really sweet .

Then we have the ' semi sweet ' lots of those.....

And last but not least those more acid than a lemon......got a G. cochinchinensis that just doesn't wanna ripen ....and the sea shore ...be sure to have Miracle fruit at hand before tasting these .

I never had the chance to taste one of the Indian ones ....Cowa , Kokum etc....will need an invitation ...don't wanna impose myself....

Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Schutzhund

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2017, 08:02:23 PM »
I tasted quiet a few : Number one is definitely the mangosteen , # 2 would be Luc's , sweetest when perfectly ripe , # 3 is achachairu ( they seem to get even better the older the trees are ) I'd put gardneriana and dulcis on the same level , Raul and I had the luck to run into a dulcis in Lancetilla Honduras that was perfectly ripe , I feel that the name DULCIS (  sweet ) in not really accurate . The gardneriana has the advantage of not being such a huge tree .

Noticed some flowers on a ' lost tag ' Garcinia today , strangely enough all the flowers are in the ' shade part ' flowered last year also so I may have a nice surprise even if it's not really sweet .

Then we have the ' semi sweet ' lots of those.....

And last but not least those more acid than a lemon......got a G. cochinchinensis that just doesn't wanna ripen ....and the sea shore ...be sure to have Miracle fruit at hand before tasting these .

I never had the chance to taste one of the Indian ones ....Cowa , Kokum etc....will need an invitation ...don't wanna impose myself....
Luc, I've heard that the Dulcis is sour, is that true ?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 08:06:23 PM by Schutzhund »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2017, 09:44:26 PM »
I left out cherapu which might be third or fourth on the hit list.Dulcis comes in a few forms and ranges from sweet to sour with some looking and tasting much like xanthochymus.I think cochinchinensis and xanthochymus are confused in some places just as sour dulcis and xanthochymus is. The indian ones from what I have tried are not sweet with a bounty of flesh.

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2017, 09:38:59 PM »
Anyone here growing brazilian cherapu? From the description it is a sweet fruit

http://www.e-jardim.com/produto_completo.asp?IDProduto=495