Author Topic: Extending the Mango Season  (Read 12230 times)

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
Re: Extending the Mango Season
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2012, 10:04:11 PM »
Keitt is one of the latest over here..
Keitt was the last of 20 or so varieties in Cayo, Belize in 2000, producing the final mango of the season on Oct 15. 

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2012, 09:29:07 PM »
BMC - I've had that same purposeful idea of chopping off the flowers to delay flowering/fruiting -
have you tried that before?  I mean if you found out you had too many mangoes at one time
of year, then take a couple or few of those varieties and snap off the flowers.

of course the tree has to be of a manageable size  (so Harry doesn't need to read this thread -
 ;D)

fang

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2012, 09:39:26 PM »
BMC - I've had that same purposeful idea of chopping off the flowers to delay flowering/fruiting -
have you tried that before?  I mean if you found out you had too many mangoes at one time

of course the tree has to be of a manageable size  (so Harry doesn't need to read this thread -
 ;D)

fang

It should work. Look what happen with Eunice's late bloom this year.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2012, 09:50:01 PM »

;D)

fang

I've done it with early season bloomers and it works a charm, but have not tried on late season mangoes. I have heard from a friend on the south side of town that a Vietnamese gent who lives accross the street from him does it to half of his KP, NDM and long Viet mango trees and gets them to fruit much later, well after the season has finished. I Have done it to my Maha, Kwan and Alison Red KP and they have all rebloomed and set a few fruit. I actually tried cutting flowers off the Kwan repeatedly as it is still quite small, but it just wont stop pumping out the flowers and fruit - so its probably a prime candidate for that sort of treatment.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk