Author Topic: 'Durian' Cempedak  (Read 23098 times)

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: 'Durian' Cempedak
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2013, 06:01:05 AM »
great looking fruit, looks delicious! Would you say the skin is somewhat firm on the outside? The cempedak in OP is somewhat hard skin, sometimes the fruit will be fully ripe and the skin will feel rock hard... I notice there are soft skin and hard skin cempedaks
As I remember the skin is not firm. Compared to jackfruit is soft, compared to chempedak can't say because never tried!
The size of the fruit is small about 1,5 - 2,5Kg and smells strong like a durian.
Mike

durianwriter

• on the durian hunt
    • View Profile
    • Year of the Durian
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2013, 12:54:06 PM »
Cempedak is a bit like durian - what do you think it is? the smell? the taste? the more "creamy" texture than jackfruit? What makes something "durianish"?  ;D
www.yearofthedurian.com
Author of:
The Durian Tourist's Guide to Penang
The Durian Tourist's Guide to Thailand

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2013, 02:41:41 PM »
I don't think they are much alike really.Similar size,both aromatic and rough skin might be as far as it goes.

msk0072

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2013, 03:02:59 PM »
Only the smell makes the fruit "durianish". If you just smell the fruit without to see it you are sure you have a durian. The flesh is similar to chempedak or jackfruit although I never ate before a chempedak . Yes the texture is more creamy than jackfruit.
Mike

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2013, 05:48:50 PM »
Cempedak is a bit like durian - what do you think it is? the smell? the taste? the more "creamy" texture than jackfruit? What makes something "durianish"?  ;D

Chempadek doesn't really taste like durian, or smell like durian. But because they both have a strong smell and taste and it's the closest you can get to describing it, then that is why i think it's reminiscent of durian.
Oscar

roboto212

• Pahoa, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2013, 09:51:05 PM »
what gives these awesome fruits (durian, marang, cempedak) there awesomeness is the odor... 90% of our 'flavors" are from our sense of smell... the odors wafting through our nose on the exhale...

so cempedak and durian are very smelly and have a strong/unique flavor cause of this.

this is what makes things "durianish" :0... kinda like the odorata mango (spelling?)

roboto212

• Pahoa, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2013, 09:53:28 PM »
I think the different compounds that give these fruits their smell are also slightly psychoactive... kinda like right after you drink some wine, you can immediately feel the effects of the wine, just from the vapors being inhaled through the nose and such.... this is also important part of wine tasting, the odor!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2013, 04:02:07 AM »

Speaking of aroma today I picked up a poor quality,small kind of marang locally called wild marang and even borneo marang.They have a pungent, not sweet aroma,have small bulbs and are more savoury than sweet.I can smell it in the garage now and it is not like the big,clear skinned sweet ones I prefer.It is assumed they are an unimproved wild type.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2013, 04:25:00 AM »
what gives these awesome fruits (durian, marang, cempedak) there awesomeness is the odor... 90% of our 'flavors" are from our sense of smell... the odors wafting through our nose on the exhale...

so cempedak and durian are very smelly and have a strong/unique flavor cause of this.

this is what makes things "durianish" :0... kinda like the odorata mango (spelling?)

Well in most cases what you are saying is correct. But in the cases of durian and marang at least i would have to disagree. Some marangs smell like a petroleum distillery. Not at all a pleasant smell that would enhance the cuisine experience of most people. Also they don't taste at all what they smell like. Similarly with durians, they have a strong sulfurous smell, but certainly the fruit doesn't taste at all sulfurous. I think in the case of these fruits the strong smelling gases are to attract animals from afar, that will eat the fruit, and spread the seeds. The biological intent is not to make the eating experience more pleasant through continuous gassing, but to lure the seed spreaders in. Once they're in the fruit also delights with it's great taste...which ofcourse makes humans to want to cultivate and further reproduce the species.Sorry  I don't think your analogy with wine is at all a good one.
Oscar

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2013, 09:52:52 AM »
It is called Durian Cempedak because of its raised warty skin. Skin is quite different to other cempedaks. It has nothing to do with being "durianish". After trying so many cempedak cultivars, I'd say this one is the best. Probably highest sweetness brix with sharp yellow color, unlike pale yellow in most.

roboto212

• Pahoa, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2013, 12:00:22 PM »

Well in most cases what you are saying is correct. But in the cases of durian and marang at least i would have to disagree. Some marangs smell like a petroleum distillery. Not at all a pleasant smell that would enhance the cuisine experience of most people. Also they don't taste at all what they smell like. Similarly with durians, they have a strong sulfurous smell, but certainly the fruit doesn't taste at all sulfurous. I think in the case of these fruits the strong smelling gases are to attract animals from afar, that will eat the fruit, and spread the seeds. The biological intent is not to make the eating experience more pleasant through continuous gassing, but to lure the seed spreaders in. Once they're in the fruit also delights with it's great taste...which ofcourse makes humans to want to cultivate and further reproduce the species.Sorry  I don't think your analogy with wine is at all a good one.

it all comes down to personal preference in the end. I happen to love the aroma of these funky fruits, they are very alluring, almost narcotic. But some people find it repulsive.... who knows, maybe if they were wondering in the jungle with an empty belly they would find the smell to be a different experience.

msk0072

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2013, 12:31:40 PM »
Despite the strong smell both fruits are awesome. That is my personal opinion
Mike

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2013, 07:05:12 PM »
I know I complained about the 'wild' marang type with the tiny bulbs as being a second rate variety.As I eat this one it actually doesn't seem that bad.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2013, 07:41:37 AM »
They are in thailand in small numbers and considered a poor quality jack due to sloppy flesh.

I just bought a chempadak today on chatuchak, it was the only one on the market though.

Are they like jackfruits, sloppy and crispy ones? 

I never had the chance to eat one.

AnnonAddict

• Growing too many things at once
    • Santa Barbara, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2013, 10:08:47 AM »
Wow nice! I always thought that Jackfruit and Chempedak were the same species, I know thats not true now!
Jackson

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2013, 10:13:37 AM »
Wow nice! I always thought that Jackfruit and Chempedak were the same species, I know thats not true now!

Nope, many people prefer chempedak over jackfruit and i eat jackfruit almost daily now, i like them so much. Also pedalai should be even better but that's the next one i have to find.

I just learned that there are many different chempedaks as well so a whole new world is opening for me. I have 3 jackfruit-tree's now, a breadfruit and a chempedak and still want more.....i will make a nice multigrafted tree from all. Why nobody has that yet?

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2013, 10:31:01 AM »

Nope, many people prefer chempedak over jackfruit and i eat jackfruit almost daily now, i like them so much. Also pedalai should be even better but that's the next one i have to find.

I just learned that there are many different chempedaks as well so a whole new world is opening for me. I have 3 jackfruit-tree's now, a breadfruit and a chempedak and still want more.....i will make a nice multigrafted tree from all. Why nobody has that yet?
I want to try Breadfruit, then Pedalai,then Lakoocha, then Kwai Muk, then Entawak, then Tamaran...

Oh come on, i never heard of those! It seems to be christmas today  ;D Yes i also want them!  Where is Mike to show us pics of those? I think i have to go to Borneo on holiday, they must be all there i guess.

This site needs more pictures. If i saw one of those on the market i would not even stop to look at them. I will keep my eyes open from now on.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 09:06:01 PM by bangkok »

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2013, 12:39:24 PM »
Bangkok, I can't see the picture. It says "Adult Content", and I am a junior. Just kidding, that was many eons ago. Anyway, prior to being on this forum, I didn't know that what I thought was a variety of Jackfruit, was a Chempedak. I love Chempedaks because of their soft texture and sweetness. I don't like crunchy jackfruits at all.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2013, 09:09:48 PM »
Now the picture should work.

They look weird and are lakoocha's.

I never had a chempedak, i only saw them in Singapore and bought so much allready that i didn't buy it. I have a grafted one now but don't know anything about it. I will find a nice one somewhere.

I would love to see a pic of a multigrafted atrocarpus-tree. They are easy to graft but if they will fruit is another thing. I guess we have to graft them low on the main stem.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2013, 10:01:38 PM »
Bangkok when I hit the numbered lakoocha pic it just comes up with the post image box. Lakoochas aren't bad and a bit like apricot in some.
Chempadak are like a sloppy jack with a more creamy/banana-y quality in some.They vary so much that you can only generalise about the fruit of the species.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 25, 2013, 10:36:41 PM »
Bangkok when I hit the numbered lakoocha pic it just comes up with the post image box. Lakoochas aren't bad and a bit like apricot in some.
Chempadak are like a sloppy jack with a more creamy/banana-y quality in some.They vary so much that you can only generalise about the fruit of the species.

I replaced that pic and now it works on my computer. But here is the original link: 

http://www.cropsforthefuture.org/tag/artocarpus-lakoocha/

I will try chempedak somewhere outside thailand, i think i will like them.  I have no idea why the Thai only sell jackfruits but they are great.

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2013, 10:59:34 PM »
Bangkok, have you been to Cambodia? They have a lot of Chempedaks there, and they are dirt cheap.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2013, 11:11:02 PM »
Bangkok, have you been to Cambodia? They have a lot of Chempedaks there, and they are dirt cheap.

I have only been on the border of cambodia to get a visa-stamp.  Many children hanging around there who come to beg.Next time i have to go for a visastamp i will visit some local markets where-ever i go. Now Vietnam is in promotion from BKK and i have never been there. But i prefer country's closer to the equator because they have more exotic fruits i guess. Kuching also sounds good.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2013, 03:25:07 AM »

I replaced that pic and now it works on my computer. But here is the original link: 

I will try chempedak somewhere outside thailand, i think i will like them.  I have no idea why the Thai only sell jackfruits but they are great.

There are chempadeks in southern Thailand, close to border with Malaysia.
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2013, 04:32:26 AM »

There are chempadeks in southern Thailand, close to border with Malaysia.

Yes but that area is like a warzone, it is not safe there so i won't go to the very south of thailand.