Author Topic: Dragon Fruit thread.  (Read 940206 times)

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
Re: Dragon Fruit thread.
« Reply #1000 on: December 31, 2014, 02:45:32 AM »
Poles without top structure?

So I am in a situation where I have the poles without anything on the top. They are reinforced concrete poles with a flat 3x3 inch top. The cuttings would reach the top in few months. Therefore getting in to panic mode I have looked at various options for the top but nothing constructive seems to fit (on the poles as well as my budget).

I'm now considering to leave the poles without anything on the top, like in these images from the net.
(copyright images, using direct link)
http://www.my-rainforest-adventures.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/dragon-fruit-plantation.jpg
http://www.dreamstime.com/stock-photo-field-young-dragon-fruit-plants-lead-concrete-poles-pitaya-plant-aka-cactus-up-image32472770
http://pippikorean.blogspot.in/2012/01/dragon-fruit.html

How would this work for the plant?

The DF plants look young.  If your concrete posts do not have anything (rebar) sticking out of the top, I guess you will have to leave the posts without any additional trellis support on top.  Take pictures and report back in a couple of years.

Boshi

• Denmark, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: January 09, 2015, 09:45:20 AM »
Wow, I must say that this thread is so inspiring! :D I got really interrested in dragonfruit somewhere around November-December, and have then started to grow some from seeds :)

Hopefully in 3-7 years, they will be able to grow fruit if I'm lucky :D

These ones are alittle under 2 weeks old, and right now in Denmark there aint too much sunlight, but some of them shows progress!

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: January 09, 2015, 06:45:27 PM »
Boshi, I wish you success on the seedlings. They are prone to dying off in the first year. Maybe don't let them have excess water.

You can get seeds from forum members with good tasting varieties when they are in season. I'm not sure if that will result in better seedlings. It couldn't hurt if you're in a place that's difficult to get cuttings into.

Boshi

• Denmark, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: January 10, 2015, 01:53:26 PM »
Thanks Fyliu, I also hope I'll get succes with them as it's my first time trying to grow something like this :)

All I know is that the fresher the seeds, the faster germination. But hopefully I can buy a cutting later on, since Denmark is a zone 8 and there cant be found any dragonfruit plants down here.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 02:57:41 PM by Boshi »

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: January 10, 2015, 05:43:05 PM »
Poles without top structure?

So I am in a situation where I have the poles without anything on the top. They are reinforced concrete poles with a flat 3x3 inch top. The cuttings would reach the top in few months. Therefore getting in to panic mode I have looked at various options for the top but nothing constructive seems to fit (on the poles as well as my budget).

I'm now considering to leave the poles without anything on the top, like in these images from the net.
(copyright images, using direct link)
http://www.my-rainforest-adventures.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/dragon-fruit-plantation.jpg
http://www.dreamstime.com/stock-photo-field-young-dragon-fruit-plants-lead-concrete-poles-pitaya-plant-aka-cactus-up-image32472770
http://pippikorean.blogspot.in/2012/01/dragon-fruit.html

How would this work for the plant?

You know what, you're right, those DF pole images without (what I like to call) crowns don't look bad at all. I guess they could be called the lazy DF pole. The look is a bit commercial/industrial. Perhaps if the location on your yard is not a trophy/iconic location, it may work just fine.

I too 'sorta' panicked when my DF reached the top of the pole and I had no crown on it. I was fortunate to end up with a great crown with the help of a handyman friend.

'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

dmk

• Hyderabad, India/ Ormond Beach, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: January 11, 2015, 02:57:48 AM »
Thanks guys!

Ricshaw, The poles do not have anything sticking out of the top (no rebar). It is a flat surface with not much space either. Which is why it gets me thinking, would it really work without anything at the top? The poles in the images are much thicker and that gives them good surface area on the top.

Leooel, the area is tucked away behind mango trees. Looks is not a concern, just want the plants to be happy.

I have few more ideas in mind that might just work for the top. Will share once I have finalized on it.

Boshi

• Denmark, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: February 07, 2015, 12:47:48 PM »
After having talked this trough with my family, I got allowed to buy 2 dragonfruit cutting from Mattlandscape all the way here to Denmark.
I was a little stupid and put them in the ground alittle too early, so I took them out again, cut the bad part away and put fungicide rooting powder just for insurance.

So, the big question, are they ready to be planted, or should I wait till they start making roots before putting in soil?
They are both American beauty

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: February 07, 2015, 04:00:02 PM »
After having talked this trough with my family, I got allowed to buy 2 dragonfruit cutting from Mattlandscape all the way here to Denmark.
I was a little stupid and put them in the ground alittle too early, so I took them out again, cut the bad part away and put fungicide rooting powder just for insurance.

So, the big question, are they ready to be planted, or should I wait till they start making roots before putting in soil?
They are both American beauty

Have you watched this YouTube video?

http://youtu.be/7GmuSTx7IHo

http://youtu.be/7GmuSTx7IHo
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 04:01:39 PM by ricshaw »

drummer

• moreno valley,california
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: February 10, 2015, 10:04:31 PM »
Anyone with advice on how to keep these plants fast growing and happy
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 11:24:14 PM by drummer »
Nelson

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: February 10, 2015, 11:37:24 PM »
They grow really fast with warm weather, lots of water and fertilizer.

Simon

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: February 11, 2015, 01:45:04 PM »
Matts Landscapes: EPI-Cacti Nursery is getting "Sugar Dragon" this spring....not sure If I want to by a  cutting from Matt, or get a 5gallon pot from Elks Nursery.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: February 11, 2015, 03:47:39 PM »
Elk creek may provide better after sale advice. Linda nickerson is a pretty opinionated lady and will tell you more than you asked. I've not dealt with either one but I've heard Linda speak at past dragon fruit festivals and events.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: February 11, 2015, 06:19:39 PM »
Elk creek may provide better after sale advice. Linda nickerson is a pretty opinionated lady and will tell you more than you asked. I've not dealt with either one but I've heard Linda speak at past dragon fruit festivals and events.

I spoke to Linda last year on her Dragon Fruit selections...I mentioned several of the Dragon Fruit plants i purchased down the road at Matts nursery... LMFAO!!!! she immediately acknoledged  Matt as some Novice Grower who doesn't know much about Dragon Fruit except his Epi Cacti....literally downplayed the guy and made me feel uncomfortable...Maybe because Matt started his buisness much later than she did and he has over 50 plus varities...while she has only  a few.... Matt moves hundreds of plants a week via Amazon and his website, while I'm sure her numbers are much smaller....Seems like there's some turf war going on down there in Fallbrook lol.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: February 11, 2015, 06:47:21 PM »
Oh, haha. Thanks for sharing. Now I can add to my story the next time someone asks.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: February 11, 2015, 07:56:50 PM »
You cali guys and your turf wars  ;)
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: February 11, 2015, 08:01:00 PM »

I spoke to Linda last year on her Dragon Fruit selections...I mentioned several of the Dragon Fruit plants i purchased down the road at Matts nursery... LMFAO!!!! she immediately acknoledged  Matt as some Novice Grower who doesn't know much about Dragon Fruit except his Epi Cacti....literally downplayed the guy and made me feel uncomfortable...Maybe because Matt started his buisness much later than she did and he has over 50 plus varities...while she has only  a few.... Matt moves hundreds of plants a week via Amazon and his website, while I'm sure her numbers are much smaller....Seems like there's some turf war going on down there in Fallbrook lol.

I can vouch for mAtt. He's a good guy and is a straight shooter. Has always supplied me good cuttings that have always been true and gives me freebies with every order. Wish all sellers were like him.

And yes-- he knows his shit, believe me. I've had some great conversations with him via email that have really helped me out.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: February 11, 2015, 09:13:18 PM »
Yes! Matt is also very informative about his craft... And he does it without the side bashing...

cos

• Maui Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: February 11, 2015, 09:14:32 PM »
starling1 good for you!!
yea lots of crap all around.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: February 11, 2015, 09:26:24 PM »
I can vouch for mAtt. He's a good guy and is a straight shooter. Has always supplied me good cuttings that have always been true and gives me freebies with every order. Wish all sellers were like him.

And yes-- he knows his shit, believe me. I've had some great conversations with him via email that have really helped me out.

I too can vouch for Matt.

http://youtu.be/ssqFklhYhI4

drummer

• View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: February 23, 2015, 12:59:58 AM »
Need to add some more Dragon fruit to my collection.any good variety that is cold hardy and a fast grower (and good taste of coarse). any suggestions, thanks.
Nelson

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: February 23, 2015, 01:34:29 PM »
Need to add some more Dragon fruit to my collection.any good variety that is cold hardy and a fast grower (and good taste of coarse). any suggestions, thanks.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: February 23, 2015, 02:00:48 PM »
Hmm.. tastes are pretty subjective. If a single variety has all these traits, I don't think we'd have the 20 varieties we do now.

Cold hardy- valdivia roja from Richard's chart
Fast grower - physical graffitti
Good taste - many, but I like G2, sugar dragon,...
Self pollinating - Vietnamese white and yellow dragon are maybe the only consistent ones

Most of us want to grow the best one too and if you ask me I'd say I don't have any bad varieties, just 15-20 nice ones and maybe half of them actually fruit because they are too crowded.

drummer

• View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: March 01, 2015, 09:03:34 PM »
Anyone know when the next Dragon fruit festival and field day in Irvine is? I've always wanted to go there but never had the chance.Also do they charge? If they do how much do they usually charge? Thanks
Nelson

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: March 01, 2015, 09:13:46 PM »
Anyone know when the next Dragon fruit festival and field day in Irvine is? I've always wanted to go there but never had the chance.Also do they charge? If they do how much do they usually charge? Thanks

Here is a link to the 2014 festival.  2015 should be about the same.
http://www.uwagec.org/rightrisk/2014_08_22_PitahayaSeminarAndFestival.pdf

I went to the Saturday only field day which cost $40.00.

Josh-Los-Angeles

• Zone 10B, Sunset 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: March 09, 2015, 11:38:18 AM »
Has anyone had success using LED light to extend the season (or make them everbearing)? I picked up 2 12v waterproof 10w floods from Amazon, shining from the bottom up into the vines, but they haven't induced any flowers yet. Maybe my vine isn't big enough or it's an issue with heat.