Author Topic: Mysore "raspberry"  (Read 13559 times)

BluePalm

• 32780 Florida, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Mysore "raspberry"
« on: January 18, 2012, 08:15:33 PM »
2 years ago I planted a Mysore raspberry in my yard. At the end of the 1st year, the canes were so long that they leaned over and touched the ground. Where they touched a new plant sprung up. Now after 2 years they are become a bit aggressive in my yard.  I was planning on moving them to the edge of my woodline but I don't want them becoming invasive on my property (they have the nastiest thorns).  I enjoy the plant and the berries are pretty good. They tend to bear at the same time as my mulberry tree and blueberries. This is a pic taken today of part of my patch.  There are unripe 70% formed berries on some of the canes. I think the warmish winter fooled them into budding early.  Don't cringe at the yellow burned cycad in the pot; I dug it up from my yard because it was not happy in its spot (as you can tell).  You can see how far my mysores have spread from 1 plant.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 08:19:00 PM by BluePalm »
They're like the Varmint-Cong...

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Mysore "raspberry"
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 11:23:30 PM »
At least its a tree that seems to take care of itself. I enjoy the fruit from it too. I've heard of another tropical raspberry that is supposed to grow good in FL but I have yet to find it.

GwenninPR

• Zone 13 , Puerto Rico
    • Rio Grande, Puerto Rico zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Puerto Rico Day Trips
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 07:29:04 AM »
I planted the "wild" raspberry from the rain forest in my yard, which it promptly took over.  It never made a lot of fruit, but they had  a mild flavor (more like a strawberry).
I have since dug it up.  For me, the invasiveness is not worth the taste of the fruit + the thorns.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 12:33:48 AM »
The problem is the way you are growing the mysore raspberry: free form. If you train them on a wire, fence, or espalier, then that keeps the long canes from touching the soil and rooting, and it will not become invasive. This plant, unlike blackberry does not spread from the roots, so it can be easily controlled. The berries are pretty good, not the very best of raspberries, but if you live in a tropical climate then they are worth growing, as they are one of the few that will fruit in the tropics.
Oscar

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 10:05:39 AM »
Yeah, the thorns on them are Nasty.  Now I keep mine trimmed way back.  Any shoots that get too long get snipped.  I wouldn't want that thing growing wild in my yard....

Taste is OK, worth having since my kids enjoy them.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 10:55:23 AM »
The problem is the way you are growing the mysore raspberry: free form. If you train them on a wire, fence, or espalier, then that keeps the long canes from touching the soil and rooting, and it will not become invasive. This plant, unlike blackberry does not spread from the roots, so it can be easily controlled. The berries are pretty good, not the very best of raspberries, but if you live in a tropical climate then they are worth growing, as they are one of the few that will fruit in the tropics.

Is it also easier to avoid the thorns if espaliered?  I am thinking if they are growing in 1 plane, they would be easier to avoid.  Thanks for the review.  I am looking forward to picking fresh raspberries from the yard...even if they don't taste amazing!
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 03:56:35 AM »

Is it also easier to avoid the thorns if espaliered?  I am thinking if they are growing in 1 plane, they would be easier to avoid.  Thanks for the review.  I am looking forward to picking fresh raspberries from the yard...even if they don't taste amazing!

Trained in a straight line, whether on a wire, fence, or espaliered, makes it very easy to avoid the thorns.
Oscar

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 07:06:41 AM »
That's good to hear, Oscar.  What is your experience with production?  In other words, how many raspberries can i expect from each mysore plant if trellised?  Will 3 plants be enough for a small family once they are fully established?  I read in Morton's book that they like afternoon shade to produce much more than full sun.

Also, do you have an opinion on which is better, espalier or vertical trellising?

Thanks so much!!
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 08:15:02 AM »
Last year I picked up a Jewel Blackraspberries.  I didn't get any fruit, all primocanes I'm assuming.  Hoping for a crop this year. It grows like crazy.   It doesn't seem to produce very many primocanes. I don't know how the fruit is going come out, but the plant is very happy.

The thorns aren't like blackberries that break off leaving you digging splinters. You walk past these and a hunk of flesh is hanging from the thorns, they don't break off.   
All brambles that I know of will tip root, makes propagation easy.  I had a blackberry patch that was left to its own devices, it tried to take over the planet.  A little semi-annual control can go a long way with these things, and you'll get higher yields if done correctly.

Since I have been in the heat I haven't been real happy with my brambleberries. The red berries are not holding up in the heat, but the plants are doing good.  Both the Reds and the blackberries seem to be on the bland side.  This could be caused by overwatering, not sure yet.

I'll take a good batch of blackberries over blueberries most any day.

Berry bushes tend to be feast or famine, I froze mine individually and would keep my cereal covered in berries all year.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 11:30:37 PM »
That's good to hear, Oscar.  What is your experience with production?  In other words, how many raspberries can i expect from each mysore plant if trellised?  Will 3 plants be enough for a small family once they are fully established?  I read in Morton's book that they like afternoon shade to produce much more than full sun.

Also, do you have an opinion on which is better, espalier or vertical trellising?

Thanks so much!!

Either form of trellising will work, but horizontal wire trellising is probably the easiest to set up. Number of plants needed depends on how happy the plants are and how big of a eater you are, but i guess 3-4 plants would be good for most families.
Oscar

FLnative

• Palm Beach County Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 10:08:35 AM »
Here are a couple pictures of Mysore raspberry growing next to my shed with 2 post and mono lines as guides. The trellis attached to the shed was unnecessary.

Berries and thorns

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2019, 10:47:54 PM »
At least its a tree that seems to take care of itself. I enjoy the fruit from it too. I've heard of another tropical raspberry that is supposed to grow good in FL but I have yet to find it.

did you ever find it?

Fygee

• Las Vegas Gardening Community Admin
    • Las Vegas, NV
    • View Profile
    • Las Vegas Gardening Community
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2019, 04:46:20 PM »
Since this topic was already necro bumped, does anyone have any cuttings (rooted or non) they'd be willing to sell for this? Want to see how they do here in the desert.
Continuing my journey to disprove those who say "You can't grow that in the desert" since 2013.

ammoun

• 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2019, 06:00:29 AM »
Since this topic was already necro bumped, does anyone have any cuttings (rooted or non) they'd be willing to sell for this? Want to see how they do here in the desert.

I join you in this request.

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2019, 08:09:06 AM »
I planted mine in a plastic orange crate to keep it from spreading

Even the roots have thorns

Even contained the fruit wasn’t worth the stickers

Mvule101

• Arua, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2019, 11:45:38 AM »
I grew mine from seed which was tedious but now I have a magnificent bramble bush here in Uganda.

Grows and fruits easily but must have full sun.

Does any one know the 'correct' way to prune it?

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2019, 11:55:27 AM »
Wow, I wish my regular raspberries would grow that vigorous. That raspberry is doing very well in the heat. I know regular raspberries can struggle in that type of heat.

Maybe you could try hybridizing Mysore with regular raspberry and get something less invasive.

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2019, 12:07:46 PM »
I got rid of my mysores. They are just not worth dealing with them. Consider replacing then with thornless blackberries maybe?
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce