Author Topic: Luc's Mexican Garcinia growing experiences around the world  (Read 170811 times)

Bonakyon

• Guanaja, Honduras. zone 11b
    • View Profile
    • Guanaja Real Estate
Luc's Mexican Garcinia growing experiences around the world
« on: January 06, 2014, 03:33:58 PM »
I asked Luc a couple of questions concerning the growth habit of this Garcinia and he thought it would be good to hear of other experiences from the many people around the world that have bought seeds. Here's mine...I got 10 seeds last year in April and planted them in different containers. Two placed in a two gallon pot sprouted pretty quick (about 50 days) but have remained at this initial stage for many months now. Later on two more sprouted each in a bag but both refuse to move beyond the sprouted bud... What, if anything, can be done to move them along...? I got 4 out of 10 to germinate and sprout here in Guanaja, Bay Islands, Honduras. What has been your experience...?   

starling

• Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Luc's Mexican Garcinia growing experiences around the world
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 04:08:29 PM »
Australia:

Can handle mild sun, but prefers part or full shade. Responds well to high humidity, and will do better in a greenhouse atmosphere. I believe they are picky about soil moisture, and it is important to not over water or let soil mixture dry out. Cannot comment of frost tolerance, as mine have never been exposed to this and never will be, for that matter.
Arpeggiated Minor Sevenths: They're pretty, and they'll make women want to have sex with you.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 05:20:58 PM »
Usually germination is close to 100%, but they don't all germinate at same time, so you will probably get more growing later. They prefer some filtered sunlight when small. They are slow growing at first but will speed up when they get to be about one meter tall. Suggest using slow release or regular fertilizing to speed them up. Foliar feeding is also very helpful to get them growing faster and healthier.
Oscar

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 05:29:28 PM »
My own experience is : Seeds have a very large life , will even germinate after several months just laying around , normally germination is after 1 month .
A few years ago I send 350 seeds to India , almost 100% germination was reported later . Some of the seeds I mailed this year arrived germinating ( a little bud showing )
Over the next couple of months the plant grows slow but steady , one year olds should be about 20 to 25 cm tall. ( no special soil and regular watering once a week , not during the rainy season July trough October , since I have lots of plants I kinda neglect them forgetting to water sometimes during more than a month , they are not affected by this , but seedlings ( very long taproot ) planted in a 25 cm wide and 50 to 60 cm deep container with improved soil , regular fertilizing and coffee grinds added really thrive and are almost double the size .
I got good feedback from super wet locations ( New Guinea ) and from super dry locations ( Dubai )

Bonakion , your plants should be a lot bigger now ....
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 05:41:37 PM »
From my small observations, i think Luc is right and this might be one of the toughest and hardiest of the garcinias (really a Rheedia in my opinion). The seeds are similar to Garcinia xanthochymus in that they can sit around for months totally dry and still be able to sprout. I'm really looking forward to tasting this fruit some day!
Oscar

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 08:36:46 PM »
Garcinia vleerackerii  8) gets some direct but mostly very bright filtered sunlight here, can handle dry to wet soil, have been down in the low 30F/upper 20F and up to 110F+.  One of the most resilient garcinia/rheedias I have growing. 

Thanks again Luc!

BTW, 100% germination from a couple different orders.

kimi

• Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 11:38:27 PM »
My seeds from two separate orders (May, and then a July order) are still popping up all the time.  The ones in a bright sunny location out of direct sun are doing great.  Have two getting morning sun that broke the soil surface but hasn't done much more since.  But germination is approaching 100% for me too.

kimi

CoPlantNut

• USA, Longmont, Colorado: Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 03:12:52 AM »
I believe I've had 51/52 seeds germinate so far since July (though I sent a few away, it sounds like they all germinated); I've been playing with grafting them together for multiple-rootstock plants and some are now pushing their 4th flush of growth.  I'm not attempting to test their cold-hardiness though; they've been above 70 F their whole lives.

Since I've been beheading seedlings for grafting, I've been re-attaching them with success so far on G. intermedia and G. sp. 'achachairu'; some of these scions are now preparing their 3rd growth flush since grafting.  I have no idea about long-term compatibility, but they seem happy so far...

Kevin

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 10:18:20 AM »
Glad to hear the ' Mexicans ' are adapting very well far away from their home country....
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Bonakyon

• Guanaja, Honduras. zone 11b
    • View Profile
    • Guanaja Real Estate
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 10:26:54 AM »

Bonakion , your plants should be a lot bigger now ....

Luc, I will try the coffee grounds and also try a slow release fert and foliar feeding as Oscar suggests. I will also place them where they can get some more filtered sunlight to see if that will help. I may have over watered the seeds before sprouting. I lost some to rot. I must say I am a bit disappointed to hear everyone getting close to 100% germination and I got 40%, but, I am happy to have 4 that I hope will make it to maturity.

n125242980005

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 11:07:51 AM »
Hi everybody.

I'm from Taiwan.
I bought 50 seeds from Luc in may .
Seeds almost 100% germination and I grow them part of shade.

Now is winter in Taiwan.
Though 49F but they still good.

(15cm/7month)

Hoping everybody grows well.

Leo

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 11:09:36 AM »
I thought a couple of mine didn't germinate, so I threw the pots in a pile to re-use them and never took care of them. After another month I noticed they began to sprout. So, some seem to germinate much later than others. I even found one sprouting in a pile of compost because I dumped one of the pots in the bin thinking it was rotted...

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 10:16:22 PM »
Luc's Mexican Garcinia is one of the easiest plants to grow in my opinion! It doesn't care if the soil is to dry or to wet or to cold. The first year I sprouted some seeds I forgot and left them out of my greenhouse. It got down into the mid 20's F that night and did not hurt my 6 inch seedlings at all! It is a must grow for all garcinia/rheedia collectors! I have rarely got less than 100% germination rate. I also found if you remove the thin skin from the seeds they will sprout 2 to 3 weeks faster. They seem to do best with afternoon shade the first couple years and then transition to full Sun. Also regular watering and heavy leaf mulch makes them happy. I saw the growth pace pick up after the 2nd to 3rd year! Also I killed my oldest and largest plant trying to get greedy and push growth with to much fertilizer.

Just my experience.

Ed in Texas

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 02:05:33 PM »
Ed , so the plant that flowered is the one you killed ?
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 02:20:55 PM »
Yes Luc I tried to push it to hard and fast! It didn't like the heavy dose of fertilizer that I hit it with. I got a couple more that might flower soon.

Ed

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2014, 03:42:55 PM »
Yes Luc I tried to push it to hard and fast! It didn't like the heavy dose of fertilizer that I hit it with. I got a couple more that might flower soon.

Ed
Ed, please let us know how much fertilizer is too much fertilizer for this plant?
Oscar

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2014, 04:36:34 PM »
Oscar it was a strong drench of Peters Plant Food. I went back to using osmacote with out issues. Slow release seems fine.

Ed

micah

• Waipio Valley, Hawaii, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2014, 11:43:57 AM »
Here my Luc's Garcinia's.  in Hawaii...they seem to like their new home :)....mahalo Luc!  98% germination...no fertilizer..just rain water...cinder/potting soil mix.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 11:47:04 AM by micah »

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2014, 02:55:37 PM »
Glad to hear the ' Mexicans ' are adapting very well far away from their home country....

Luc old friend; your babies in Uganda are doing fine, like Oscar I look forward to sink my teeth into a ripe fruit one day...
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

NaturalGreenthumb

• CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2014, 12:26:24 AM »
Any other growing experiences from planters from years prior?

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2014, 09:34:21 AM »
Besides Luc, who has the biggest/oldest tree?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2014, 09:52:26 AM »
Besides Luc, who has the biggest/oldest tree?

Maybe Bryan Brunner or Sadhu in PR .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2014, 03:20:12 PM »
I am now the proud owner of one of these seeds.  Can anyone point me to a picture/description of a "Mexican Garcinia"?

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2014, 03:27:04 PM »
I am now the proud owner of one of these seeds.  Can anyone point me to a picture/description of a "Mexican Garcinia"?

Never mind.  Found it:

I've got 5 of Luc's garcinias in the ground and another 2 waiting to find a spot for them. They're not as old or tall as yours Ed, but growing nicely. This plant seems really hardy to me compared to others in this family. Remember that it is really a Rheedia, and i think that all Rheedias, with possible exception of R. magnifolia, are self pollinating.
This fruit is not only much better tasting but also about 3x bigger than the treasured achachairu. Here is a photo comparing the two side by side:

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2014, 04:02:07 PM »
I just found two more pop up after a year in some soil I reused for a jackfruit seedling. So now I have %100 germination on 50 seeds. I have one that I planted in full sun right after germination that is growing the fastest. It's planted along my canal bank and has ten leaves on it so far. All my other ones have between 2-6 leaves. Over watering in pots causes mine to 'pout' or get droopy. These are definitely a resilient and tough plant.