Author Topic: Best September+ Mango besides Keitt?  (Read 4090 times)

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Best September+ Mango besides Keitt?
« on: July 25, 2018, 06:42:40 PM »
Looking to add a couple late mango trees....Keitt plus one more. The basic requirement is they have to still be holding fruit September or later on most years and taste good. Right now its down Beverly or Honey Kiss, but open to other suggestions.
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Best September+ Mango besides Keitt?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 08:11:56 PM »
Looking to add a couple late mango trees....Keitt plus one more. The basic requirement is they have to still be holding fruit September or later on most years and taste good. Right now its down Beverly or Honey Kiss, but open to other suggestions.

Those are your best options for latest varieties (especially with Keitt being susceptible to MBBS).  Honey Kuss is more productive.   Neelam is an option but it is known to have inconsistent quality and uneven ripening.

Venus is later but not super late.  Peach Cobbler is late season but only August late.  M4 and Cotton Candy can go into August but would not rely on them for September.
- Rob

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 10:34:38 PM »

Those are your best options for latest varieties (especially with Keitt being susceptible to MBBS).  Honey Kuss is more productive.   Neelam is an option but it is known to have inconsistent quality and uneven ripening.

Venus is later but not super late.  Peach Cobbler is late season but only August late.  M4 and Cotton Candy can go into August but would not rely on them for September.

Bsbullie, what do you recommend for early varieties?  I may pick up a Honey Kiss, I'd like a good early as well.  I already have Peach Cobbler and Cotton Candy for late.
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 11:38:24 PM »
Coach62, do you have Pickering?  A very good early variety, if you like coconut flavor.  Also, I think PPK is generally early, and it's outstanding.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 09:20:12 AM by johnb51 »
John

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 11:46:23 PM »
I have found my Peach Cobbler to actually be slightly earlier than my Lemon Zest. I have no idea about Honey Kiss but would like to see any mango tree out yield my Keitt for I do not think it is possible. It may be a fungus magnet but for sheer yield and late ripening, I do not think it can be beat.

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 08:48:59 AM »
I have found my Peach Cobbler to actually be slightly earlier than my Lemon Zest. I have no idea about Honey Kiss but would like to see any mango tree out yield my Keitt for I do not think it is possible. It may be a fungus magnet but for sheer yield and late ripening, I do not think it can be beat.

Honey Kiss will fruit itself to death.. the damn thing just drips with mangos 
Joe

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2018, 05:06:23 PM »

I have yet to hear a good description of the flavor profile of HK.  Does it taste similar to any common mango most people might be familiar with?
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2018, 05:18:00 PM »

I have yet to hear a good description of the flavor profile of HK.  Does it taste similar to any common mango most people might be familiar with?

If you are familiar with a mature Keitt tree and its crop, the last of the Keitt crop are smaller fruits which have a better flavor and creamier texture.  Take that fruit and incorporate a distinct honey flavor (wildflower or orange blossom honey).  Even the sap of a fully ripe HK smells like honey.
- Rob

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2018, 05:19:27 PM »
In the eastern strip, near the coast, at least in southeastern Palm Beach County, we rarely see any mangos still on the trees in September, even on Keitt.  In the 1970's and 1980's, we did used to see Keitts still on the trees in September.  Most Keitts are already picked by late July.
Har

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2018, 05:26:46 PM »
Coach62, do you have Pickering?  A very good early variety, if you like coconut flavor.  Also, I think PPK is generally early, and it's outstanding.

I do not have a Pickering, although I just tried one of the fruits itself recently.  Looking at my notes, I rated it very close to Nam Doc Mai as far as quality.
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2018, 05:31:42 PM »

If you are familiar with a mature Keitt tree and its crop, the last of the Keitt crop are smaller fruits which have a better flavor and creamier texture.  Take that fruit and incorporate a distinct honey flavor (wildflower or orange blossom honey).  Even the sap of a fully ripe HK smells like honey.

Thanks bro....excellent description.  Would you score HK above late Keitts?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2018, 05:34:26 PM »
In the eastern strip, near the coast, at least in southeastern Palm Beach County, we rarely see any mangos still on the trees in September, even on Keitt.  In the 1970's and 1980's, we did used to see Keitts still on the trees in September.  Most Keitts are already picked by late July.

Walter always has fruit on his Keitts into September,  and many years a few gems into October (especially the smaller "late crop" fruit I have referred to...these are usually not sold but kept by Walter & Verna and shared with family and friends).  HK also commonly is on their trees in September.  Beverly too.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2018, 05:36:51 PM »

Definitely better than the earlier larger Keitt.  On par with the later smaller Keitts but with an added dimension.
- Rob

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2018, 05:38:17 PM »
Speaking of honey kiss, just had a delicious one I got from Walter and Verna last week. He had also found a HUGE honey kiss and was great chatting with him about what he thought caused it to get so big. He kept it of course lol wanted to see if the flavor was up to par with that size. I believe it was pound and half to 2 lbs. He weighed and guessed the weight almost on the money.

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2018, 08:23:13 PM »

Definitely better than the earlier larger Keitt.  On par with the later smaller Keitts but with an added dimension.

Rob

What is the flavor profile on Beverly?  Can it compared to any other common mango?  In a head to head tasting contest which would win Beverly or HK? 

I will say say that the large early Keitts once they get a go full on orange and overripe/mushy are best left to the coons & possums.   I prefer them when they are still a bit yellow & have a bit of tartness to them.   I would imagine though if you have other mature mango trees of better varieties, the Keitts get mostly ignored or given away till late in the season anyway right? 

Thanks
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 08:25:10 PM by nighthawk0911@yahoo.com »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2018, 09:46:28 PM »
Beverly is an excellent mango.  Its yellow flesh is very sweet, rich classic mango flavor.  It has no citrus flavors which seperates it from other mangoes with that classic flavor.  A good Beverly is better than a good HK.

Yeah, bynthe time the end of the season comes around and basically Keitt is that last crop, I tend to ignore them.  After so many good varieties,  I get mangoed out so that eating a Keitt becomes almost unappealing.  I prefer to cleanse from mangoes and wait for the cherimoya in December.
- Rob

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2018, 09:56:22 PM »
Beverly is an excellent mango.  Its yellow flesh is very sweet, rich classic mango flavor.  It has no citrus flavors which seperates it from other mangoes with that classic flavor.  A good Beverly is better than a good HK.

Yeah, bynthe time the end of the season comes around and basically Keitt is that last crop, I tend to ignore them.  After so many good varieties,  I get mangoed out so that eating a Keitt becomes almost unappealing.  I prefer to cleanse from mangoes and wait for the cherimoya in December.

Thanks Rob  : )

StPeteMango

• Florida/St. Petersburg/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2018, 10:39:21 AM »
"Late" mango is, obviously, a flexible term. My Honey Kiss are good to eat now, and July isn't over yet. The summer has been long and hot, and the fruits are ripening just fine. Doubt any will last into September.
Neelam, at least this year, is more of a late-season mango: It's fruits still need a few (2-4) weeks. The Honey Kiss taste is much better and the tree is quite productive; besides, the rains make the Neelam a bit iffy. And Neelam has fiber, which the Honey Kiss doesn't.
Will decide if Neelam (and Nam Doc Mai) should get the ax next month. Hate to cut down a tree, but it's a small yard and space is at a premium. I have had 0% success at grafting, so planting a new tree is the way to go.
Over the past few years, I found I'd rather have a shorter but very tasty mango season than extend it with mediocre mangoes.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2018, 10:58:27 AM »
Neelam does not have fiber.  If yours do, there is a problem.   The issue with Neelam is inconsistent ripenening and flavor quality.  It can be great or it can be lousy, and anything in between.
- Rob

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2018, 12:03:58 PM »
Last coconut creams picked yesterday. still about half dozen PPK still on tree and half dozen on fairchild. Sadly my season is coming to an end.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2018, 12:06:48 PM »
Just a warning here:
For personal eating and for family and friends  and your devoted mango hound associates. Plant what you like for late season mango.

But if you have a mango grove / formal or informal / where you are selling mangoes, then don't plant a lot of late season trees. Demand drops off. A few years ago I read here how one grove owner eliminated some of his Keitts  (not enough buyers and/or could not get the price he wanted) and planted early and mid season mango varieties.

Somehow September does not come into people's minds as a time to eat mangoes. Speaking of South Florida. You can probably add late August to this.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 12:10:07 PM by zands »

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2018, 05:51:28 PM »
Neelam does not have fiber.  If yours do, there is a problem.   The issue with Neelam is inconsistent ripenening and flavor quality.  It can be great or it can be lousy, and anything in between.

Hey Rob

I'm a Mallika fan - just polished off a few nice ones from Fruitscapes.  For me a good Mallika is a "9" (never had a '10") when you get one right which for me is usually when they turn full orange & still slightly firm and have some tartness to them. 

Since Mallika is a parent of Neelam, will a "good" Neelam taste as good, better or similar to Mallika?  Thanks : )
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 05:53:36 PM by nighthawk0911@yahoo.com »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2018, 06:14:54 PM »

Hey Rob

I'm a Mallika fan - just polished off a few nice ones from Fruitscapes.  For me a good Mallika is a "9" (never had a '10") when you get one right which for me is usually when they turn full orange & still slightly firm and have some tartness to them. 

Since Mallika is a parent of Neelam, will a "good" Neelam taste as good, better or similar to Mallika?  Thanks : )

Mallika, which are usually consistent once you know when to pick and how to ripen, properly ripened is a top notch mango.  Unfortunately,  Neelam does not live up to the quality of Mallika.  Mallika wins in a landslide. 
- Rob

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2018, 08:04:51 PM »
I agree.  Neelam is of value for sour mango pickles later in the season when other varieties are too mature.  Otherwise, skip it.
Har