Author Topic: Wanted: Rollinia tree  (Read 6447 times)

Mr. Caimito

Wanted: Rollinia tree
« on: March 27, 2013, 01:38:30 PM »
[freegames-online.info will never die]
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 10:53:23 AM by Mr. Caimito »

PedalaiMaster

• Santa Barbara,CA Zone 10b,lo-med. humid,50%-70% avg.
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted: Rollinia tree
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 08:17:50 PM »
I don't think they would grow in you zone, they thrive best in zones 9 and up and still might have some problems in zones 9 and 10. If you are planning on keeping it in a greenhouse then you will probably get fruit within 4-6 years. As to where to get the tree, I would say graft a mature one onto cherimoya rootstock as they are compatible with it and that would flower in 1-2 yrs. For the scion-wood, I would try to contact some of the users on this forum who probably have some trees.
 Regards-PM
;D Many Regards to all, PM ;D

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 11:03:25 PM »
I think its safe to say that we now officially have kuku on board :-X
Henry, you can order live tree from ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BIRIBA-Rollinia-Deliciosa-RARE-Fruit-Tree-Prickly-Custard-Apple-LIVE-SEEDLING-/360447733367?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53ec5bee77
I would still worry about temps hitting upper 30's during transit. You might want to wait 2 more weeks or so..
They fruit in about 3 years from seed, but since you going to keep your tree indoors, that may change I suppose...

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 02:45:36 PM »
Obtain seeds from Fruitlovers or Florida Green Man on this forum.  The seedlings will grow into nice little trees (3-4' tall) in about 6-8 months!  Dont buy seeds that may be old, they are dead!!

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 02:56:11 PM »
did you mean to say 3-4 INCHES tall? I didn't think they could grow that quickly.

No mistake, they grow really fast!

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 04:50:45 PM »
Do you have any experience with that seller? Don't want to get scammed  ;D

Never used this seller, but looking at the history and shop set up, I would say its 99.99% legit. Besides seller is in Hawaii not some God forsaken country ;D

As far as seeds, expect to pay $10-15 with shipping. If I were in your shoes looking to grow just one tree, I would rather spend $10 more and get the seedling. It would take the sprouting/guessing/waiting game out and jump start fruiting timeline.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 05:37:29 PM »
I don't think they would grow in you zone, they thrive best in zones 9 and up and still might have some problems in zones 9 and 10. If you are planning on keeping it in a greenhouse then you will probably get fruit within 4-6 years. As to where to get the tree, I would say graft a mature one onto cherimoya rootstock as they are compatible with it and that would flower in 1-2 yrs. For the scion-wood, I would try to contact some of the users on this forum who probably have some trees.
 Regards-PM

PM i don't know where you got that information? It is not true. As far as i know rollinia is not  graft compatible with cherimoya?
Oscar

PedalaiMaster

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 08:38:53 PM »
Maybe it wasn't cherimoya... let me think, the closest Annona to Rollinia, I would say Annona Squamosa, not sure will have to get the rootstock sampled and tested. Regards-PM

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 09:45:20 PM »
 Regards-PM

PM i don't know where you got that information? It is not true. As far as i know rollinia is not  graft compatible with cherimoya?
LOL

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 10:19:53 PM »
Maybe it wasn't cherimoya... let me think, the closest Annona to Rollinia, I would say Annona Squamosa, not sure will have to get the rootstock sampled and tested. Regards-PM

Nope, won't work on A. squamosa either. Rollinia is really a separate genus, though taxonomists for some strange unknown reason recently lumped rollinia genus together with annona.
Oscar

PedalaiMaster

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 11:02:53 PM »
Oh, must be a seedling rollinia rootstock with mature rollin. grafted of the top. I just in-dentified this because I compared my rootstock to cherimoya rootstock and the rollinia had much smoother bark instead of the bumps on the cherimoya bark. Regards-PM

Jacob13

• Southern California - Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 02:12:40 AM »
Oh, must be a seedling rollinia rootstock with mature rollin. grafted of the top. I just in-dentified this because I compared my rootstock to cherimoya rootstock and the rollinia had much smoother bark instead of the bumps on the cherimoya bark. Regards-PM
PM - Maybe you should quit while you are ahead?  And again, please stop trying to play the middle-man or the "all knowing" when other Forum Members request plants or seeds......it's getting really old.  They are asking for plants or seeds.......not your opinion.

Also, when you're rude to someone or try to insult them by trying to show that they don't know what they are talking about, why bother ending your little rant with the use of "Regards"?  On one hand you have just tried to make someone look stupid, while on the other hand, you use a valediction as if to infer esteem or affection.........Like I said, you should just quit while you are ahead.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 02:19:13 AM by Jacob13 »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 11:46:52 PM »
PM - Maybe you should quit while you are ahead?  And again, please stop trying to play the middle-man or the "all knowing" when other Forum Members request plants or seeds......it's getting really old.  They are asking for plants or seeds.......not your opinion.

Also, when you're rude to someone or try to insult them by trying to show that they don't know what they are talking about, why bother ending your little rant with the use of "Regards"?  On one hand you have just tried to make someone look stupid, while on the other hand, you use a valediction as if to infer esteem or affection.........Like I said, you should just quit while you are ahead.
I actually think you are giving far too much credit...I don't think he has ever been ahead.  Now let me go sample that rootstock...
- Rob

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 01:20:17 PM »
Looking to find a rollinia tree, seedling or grafted, (can you even graft a rollinia?) either will do. preferably a variety that is suitable for pot culture and would fruit within the next 2 or so years.

Thanks

I have a seedling doing well in a container, has not fruited yet,  going on 4 years, but I am hoping something will happen this year.  my tree seems very sensitive to climate,  a chill can make it drop its leaves, but it always grows back nicely, and very fast.  so you should take temperature changes  into account.

good luck

William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 01:38:52 PM »
Looking to find a rollinia tree, seedling or grafted, (can you even graft a rollinia?) either will do. preferably a variety that is suitable for pot culture and would fruit within the next 2 or so years.

Thanks

I have a seedling doing well in a container, has not fruited yet,  going on 4 years, but I am hoping something will happen this year.  my tree seems very sensitive to climate,  a chill can make it drop its leaves, but it always grows back nicely, and very fast.  so you should take temperature changes  into account.

good luck

Is this DR?? What do you consider  chilly 65F?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk