Author Topic: Help with Mango Tree Leaves  (Read 1516 times)

Jeramyl

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
Help with Mango Tree Leaves
« on: April 28, 2013, 11:05:47 PM »
Hello everyone. Please help with thoughts on what to do with my Mango trees. I have two new trees (bought last summer and transplanted then into larger pots.) exhibiting the same problems. Both planted into a composted blend of cactus and citrus tree mix and fertilized with an organic fertilizer containing mycorrhizae. Location: San Diego, CA, about 4-5 miles from the coast. Against south facing fence line.

Strong new growth of leaves and even small flower bloom. Then the top leaves began to yellow a bit, wrinkle and some even curl/bend to one side or the other as seen in the pics. The leaves are not falling off, but no longer growing strong and thriving. Do not appear to be on progressing toward the look of the older, mature, green leaves below.

No visible signs of insects, other than the very occasional small ant. No whitening or other color. Some brown edges in a few places as can be seen.

Anyone seen this before? Please help and thanks in advance!
Jeramy

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Mango Tree Leaves
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 11:38:46 PM »
I am in San Diego also and it looks like the Peach Leaf Curl that affected 3 of my peach trees... not an expert by any means on Mangoes and not even sure if Peach Leaf Curl could affect Mangoes, but here is info from CRFG just in case...

• The fungus survives the hot, dry summer on the tree’s surfaces.. In spring, the
fungus is moved by splashing water and can infect newly developed leaves.

• To prevent peach leaf curl, treat peach and nectarine trees every year after leaves
have fallen. Copper-based fungicides, calcium polysulfides, or synthetic fungicides
can be used.

• To be effective, copper-containing compounds must have at least 50% copper.

• It is be advisable to apply a second treatment in spring, preferably before buds
begin to swell, but definitely before budbreak (when green color is first visible).

• Although symptoms of leaf curl are seen primarily in spring as new leaves develop,
there is little you can do to control the disease at this time. Normally, diseased
leaves fall off within a few weeks and are replaced by new healthy leaves unless it
is rainy.

• Development of leaf curl ceases when young tissue is no longer developing or
when weather turns dry and warm (80° to 85°F).

Jeramyl

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Mango Tree Leaves
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 12:06:15 AM »
Thanks for the info.  The CRFG is great.  Hoping someone will chime in with a similar situation and reply.  I did have leaf curl on the stone fruit and finally got rid of it this year with a second year of cool season treatments.  The trouble with the mango, is that there is no season without the leaves.

thanks for the reply!