Author Topic: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems  (Read 528872 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems
« Reply #100 on: August 10, 2012, 11:19:27 AM »
Sir Cleanliness,  what did you notice about the flying ability of the weevils?

The ones at my house are not "weak" flyers; they're pretty good at flying.   I guess that explains why I haven't had much luck with the tanglefoot on the trunk method.
Yes, they are very good with their wings...flying is not a problem for them.
- Rob

Carbo

• Brown Thumb in 10b, SE Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 10, 2012, 11:21:33 AM »
I'm aware that due to the high PH of my soil, (7.6), here in central Broward County, that the mango tree's ability to absorb iron is blocked.  Thus, my tree exhibits signs of chlorosis. 
I purchased Southern Ag's Chelated Liquid Iron.  About 10 days ago I applied it as a soil drench.  Yesterday I applied it as a foliar spray.  I haven't yet seen any improvement.  How long should it take to see an improvement in the tree?

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 10, 2012, 12:09:15 PM »
When I apply a soil drench (3Tbs/gal...6 yr old tree), I see a change in about 1-2 weeks. The Southern AG Citrus Foilar spray however, is see a change before the end of the day (very diluted chelated liq FE spray stains my leaves). How old is the tree and what volume of Chelated FE did you use per gallon on your tree.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 10, 2012, 12:14:09 PM »
I'm aware that due to the high PH of my soil, (7.6), here in central Broward County, that the mango tree's ability to absorb iron is blocked.  Thus, my tree exhibits signs of chlorosis. 
I purchased Southern Ag's Chelated Liquid Iron.  About 10 days ago I applied it as a soil drench.  Yesterday I applied it as a foliar spray.  I haven't yet seen any improvement.  How long should it take to see an improvement in the tree?
Are you sure its iron deficiency?  Pictures would help if you can...

You might want to try IronPlex by KeyPlex.  I have had mixed results with SouthernAg products.
- Rob

Carbo

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 10, 2012, 12:51:02 PM »
When I apply a soil drench (3Tbs/gal...6 yr old tree), I see a change in about 1-2 weeks. The Southern AG Citrus Foilar spray however, is see a change before the end of the day (very diluted chelated liq FE spray stains my leaves). How old is the tree and what volume of Chelated FE did you use per gallon on your tree.
It's a Cogshall that went from a 3 gallon pot to the yard about 4 years ago.  Produced it's first fruits this season and is currently undergoing some serious growth flush. 
The recommended rate is 1 tablespoon/gal.  Preferring to err on the side of caution, the soil drench was at half that.  Yesterday's foliar spray was at the recommended rate, however.

Carbo

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 10, 2012, 12:52:53 PM »
. . .Are you sure its iron deficiency?  Pictures would help if you can...

You might want to try IronPlex by KeyPlex.  I have had mixed results with SouthernAg products.
I believe it is an iron deficiency judging by the symptoms.  I'll try and post a pic or two later on as there is a monsoon outside right now.  :o

Carbo

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 10, 2012, 01:07:59 PM »
Some pics. . .

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 10, 2012, 05:35:22 PM »
Are those pics of recent flushes? If yes, on my tree it takes about 2-3 weeks for them to fully green out. Looks like you got some FE staining when the water dries on the leaves in the 2nd and 3rd pic.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 10, 2012, 07:03:51 PM »
Looks like iron / manganese deficiency. It can take weeks and more than one application to fully correct.

Some pics. . .

Jeff  :-)

Carbo

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 10, 2012, 07:30:50 PM »
Are those pics of recent flushes? If yes, on my tree it takes about 2-3 weeks for them to fully green out. Looks like you got some FE staining when the water dries on the leaves in the 2nd and 3rd pic.
Robbie, those spots aren't FE stains.  It's some discoloration that has appeared on many of the leaves.  I have no idea what causes them.  I've asked around and was told it's normal.

Carbo

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 10, 2012, 07:32:39 PM »
Looks like iron / manganese deficiency. It can take weeks and more than one application to fully correct.
Thanks, Jeff.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 10, 2012, 11:56:45 PM »
Manganese deficiency and mango bacterial leaf spot.
Har

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #112 on: August 11, 2012, 05:59:21 AM »
The best way of destroying white weevils..

Even though the trees would be destroyed, so I wouldn't recommend it.  ;D  :P  ;)

Isn't that one of the forum members starting up the barbecue at the last S. Florida gathering?   ;)
Oscar

Carbo

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 11, 2012, 07:16:14 AM »
Manganese deficiency?  Surprising to hear that. . .or shouldn't I be?  How can you tell the difference between that and iron deficiency?  I've been fertilizing with Vigoro 6-4-6 plus minors approx every 5 weeks or so this summer.
Bacterial leaf spot:  what's the cause, what's the cure?

Thank you!

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 11, 2012, 08:44:26 AM »
Manganese deficiency?  Surprising to hear that. . .or shouldn't I be?  How can you tell the difference between that and iron deficiency?  I've been fertilizing with Vigoro 6-4-6 plus minors approx every 5 weeks or so this summer.
Bacterial leaf spot:  what's the cause, what's the cure?

Thank you!
Your Vigror 6-4-6 has .05 percent manganese, Excalibur's 8-3-9 has .49 percent manganese.

Bacterial leaf spot -- spray with copper fungicide.  Also, be careful, "as is" it could spread to your other mangoes.
- Rob

Carbo

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 11, 2012, 09:47:31 AM »
Your Vigror 6-4-6 has .05 percent manganese, Excalibur's 8-3-9 has .49 percent manganese.

Bacterial leaf spot -- spray with copper fungicide.  Also, be careful, "as is" it could spread to your other mangoes.
From my understanding, Excalibur sells only 50 lb bags of their fertilizer.  Way too much for my needs.  I have only this one Cogshall.  Is there another way to add manganese to the soil?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 11, 2012, 10:42:07 AM »

From my understanding, Excalibur sells only 50 lb bags of their fertilizer.  Way too much for my needs.  I have only this one Cogshall.  Is there another way to add manganese to the soil?
Correct, its a 50il bag but it can be used all any plants in your yard (ornamental hedges, palms and even turf).  Your other option is a goo minor element spray.  Do you have a supply house near you that sells KeyPlex?
- Rob

Carbo

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 11, 2012, 05:23:34 PM »
Southern Ag has this new product I think might be worth a try:  http://www.southernag.com/docs/labels_msds/eme.pdf.  It's their Essential Minor Elements in granular form.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 11, 2012, 07:44:20 PM »
Southern Ag has this new product I think might be worth a try:  http://www.southernag.com/docs/labels_msds/eme.pdf.  It's their Essential Minor Elements in granular form.
I would go with go with liquid as long as you need to supplement...plus KeyPlex is a better product.  Not even sure if that SouthernAg product is available locally and I have never heard of anybody using it.
- Rob

natsgarden123

« Reply #119 on: August 12, 2012, 12:57:50 PM »
I would go with go with liquid as long as you need to supplement...plus KeyPlex is a better product.  Not even sure if that SouthernAg product is available locally and I have never heard of anybody using it.

Rob- what form of miconutrients does Excalibur fertilizer use? I was under the impression that it was enough

Nat

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 12, 2012, 03:23:30 PM »

Rob- what form of miconutrients does Excalibur fertilizer use? I was under the impression that it was enough

Nat
depends on the needs/price/availability and the type of plant. 

- Rob

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 12, 2012, 09:13:55 PM »
The best way of destroying white weevils..

Even though the trees would be destroyed, so I wouldn't recommend it.  ;D  :P  ;)

Isn't that one of the forum members starting up the barbecue at the last S. Florida gathering?   ;)

I remember hearing about the dueling flame thrower barbecue.  It started with a careless remark about Lemon Zest. There was an ill-considered retort along the lines of "Maha yo Mama!"  Fruit Punches were about to be thrown when someone's significant other thought to cut open a nicely ripened Crunchy Lemon jackfruit.  In the end a good time was had by all.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 13, 2012, 11:29:27 PM »
In Iron deficiency only the veins stay green.

In Manganese deficiency the veins and a narrow strip of tissue to either side of the veins stay green.
Har

Carbo

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 14, 2012, 06:04:30 AM »
In Iron deficiency only the veins stay green.

In Manganese deficiency the veins and a narrow strip of tissue to either side of the veins stay green.
Thank you.  That helps.  I have to assume, then, the tree has manganese deficiency, which explains why the iron treatments have made no difference in the tree's appearance.

natsgarden123

« Reply #124 on: August 14, 2012, 09:09:28 AM »

Nat
depends on the needs/price/availability and the type of plant.

Rob
??  not sure what you are talking about.
 My question is - is Excalibur Fertilizer enough in terms of nutrition, for most tropical trees we are growing here? I see quite a few people using supplements with it.  What is your take on using Excalibur alone, like they recommend.

Also, Carbo- the 50 pound bag actually goes pretty quick - its not as big a bag as you might think.  It also has no specific expiration date. And its a bargain. Just my opinion

nat