Author Topic: Avocado tree trunk showing black/brown lesions  (Read 1555 times)

cindyatdallas

• DALLAS
    • View Profile
Avocado tree trunk showing black/brown lesions
« on: June 05, 2020, 10:27:01 PM »
Hi everyone,

I just got a 6-feet tall avocado tree a little over 2 months ago. I have moved it in and out a few times due to severe storms and wind conditions here at Dallas. It experienced some stress from moving, and some leaves looked unhealthy. But now it has been indoors and sitting in the sun room for a while, it looks fine and healthy leaves start to come out.

However, I just noticed two spots of black/brown marks on the trunk, this is the first time I noticed them and I don't know if they are new or if they were already there when purchased. I am attaching photos of these black/brown marks, one of them is very low and one is at the upper part of the tree. Is this a fungal infection? I would like to hear your suggestions about how to treat this tree, or maybe there is nothing to worry about since the tree is growing?

Vigo Carpathian

• USA, California, Livermore, 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado tree trunk showing black/brown lesions
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 11:43:56 PM »
Could be wrong, but it looks like sunburn to me. Avocados like shade for the first couple years and then can be transitioned to the sun. Until the root system is established to uptake enough water and enough foliage is grown to shade the limbs, these tress need to be babied.

Dirt Diva

• Houston, Tx 9A
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel for the DivingTemptress
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 10:15:23 AM »
I was warned about sunburn also, so my Mexicola avocado, my 3rd summer, is still in a pot so it can be moved throughout the year to get some shade. This spring it had over 30 clusters of blossoms. I plan to put it in ground next year.
P J, the DivingTemptress and Dirt Diva

cindyatdallas

• DALLAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 11:36:10 AM »
Thank you all!  I will be keeping it indoors for this summer then!

Should I apply anything to the black spots? I am concerned that these spots are susceptible to infection.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 11:42:47 AM by cindyatdallas »

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2020, 12:02:57 PM »
You guys and girls are babying your avocados too much.  A tree that size can go in the ground full sun.  I have all my young trees in full sun.  If there's exposed bark just paint it with half latex white paint half water solution. 
Brad Spaugh

Dirt Diva

• Houston, Tx 9A
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel for the DivingTemptress
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2020, 12:16:54 AM »
Cindy,
yes you could paint it, or do what I did, wrap the lower trunk with aluminum foil and put it outside where it can get a break from the brutal Texas afternoon sun. That was a master gardener's advice to me when I bought it

P J, the DivingTemptress and Dirt Diva

Vigo Carpathian

• USA, California, Livermore, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 01:23:11 AM »
My Avocado is in the ground 1 1/2 years now and has dense foliage covering the branches and trunk. Sunburn on these areas is no longer a problem , but the tree struggles badly in direct sun over 90F, even with plenty of water. I suspect this is due to the root system not yet able to uptake enough water to combat the sun. With shade cloth, no issues at all. Other older trees that I know of are fine in full sun, but these are >3 years in the ground. These tress also struggled in the sun early on as well.

cindyatdallas

• DALLAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2020, 11:47:35 PM »
Cindy,
yes you could paint it, or do what I did, wrap the lower trunk with aluminum foil and put it outside where it can get a break from the brutal Texas afternoon sun. That was a master gardener's advice to me when I bought it

Thanks for the tip! Yes,  the afternoon sun is so brutal that I lost a very young lemon tree right away. But lesson learned!

cindyatdallas

• DALLAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2020, 11:50:25 PM »
You guys and girls are babying your avocados too much.  A tree that size can go in the ground full sun.  I have all my young trees in full sun.  If there's exposed bark just paint it with half latex white paint half water solution. 

Hi Brad,
I got a paint spray that would cover the leaves a bit, too. But I suspect it would not work as well for the trunk

cindyatdallas

• DALLAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2020, 11:52:10 PM »
My Avocado is in the ground 1 1/2 years now and has dense foliage covering the branches and trunk. Sunburn on these areas is no longer a problem , but the tree struggles badly in direct sun over 90F, even with plenty of water. I suspect this is due to the root system not yet able to uptake enough water to combat the sun. With shade cloth, no issues at all. Other older trees that I know of are fine in full sun, but these are >3 years in the ground. These tress also struggled in the sun early on as well.

I think my avocado definitely do not have enough foliage now. I am googling shade cloth now. :-*

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2020, 03:52:14 PM »
Use a paint vrush for painting to wood.  1" wide brush with 50/50 white latex and water. 
Brad Spaugh

containerman

• Modesto,CA Area 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2020, 05:44:44 PM »
Just get some white latex paint and mix it 50/50 with water and paint the trunk. I did this with every single one of my 45 fruit trees in my yard, 12 of them are different varieties of avocados.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2020, 07:47:10 AM »
Only way to go -->  https://www.arbico-organics.com/product/surround-wp-crop-protectant-omri-listed-kaolin-clay/natural-organic-plant-disease-control

Kinda expensive. I got a 25# shipped for $46 from a TX distributor.   Excellent sunburn protection, easy peasy to apply, good pesticide for tough bastards like the grey leaf footed bug that ruins maters, peaches, etc.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk