Author Topic: Cara Cara vs Tarocco ?  (Read 5867 times)

containerman

• Modesto,CA Area 9b
    • View Profile
Cara Cara vs Tarocco ?
« on: March 07, 2018, 10:44:29 AM »
I have room for one more orange tree. Right now I have a Washington navel and a moro blood orange. If you had to pick between a cara cara and a tarocco which one would you choose and why, thanks !
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 11:06:28 AM by containerman »

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
Re: Cara Cara vs Tarocco ?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 10:54:34 AM »
You already have the best blood orange in the moro.  Cara cara is so unique with excellent flavor that's where I'd lean.
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 12:57:01 PM »
I would pick a Cara Cara over Tarocco in a heart beat.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 08:58:05 PM by Millet »

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 01:43:22 PM »
This isn't even a contest.   Cara Cara is my favorite citrus fruit.

BonsaiBeast

• San Diego CA, USDA zone 10a, sunset zone 24
    • View Profile
    • BonsaiBeast
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 02:29:18 PM »
You already have the best blood orange in the moro.  Cara cara is so unique with excellent flavor that's where I'd lean.

I've heard that the Moro is completely inferior in taste to the toracco

containerman

• Modesto,CA Area 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 03:01:30 PM »
OK looks like I will be picking up a cara cara.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 03:29:50 PM »
I believe it is the other way around, in that the Tarocco is inferior in taste to the Moro.  Moro Blood orange is loved the world over.

containerman

• Modesto,CA Area 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 03:43:21 PM »
My local nursery had a citrus tasting last weekend and I had never tasted the moro before and it was a delight to my taste-buds so I just had to buy one :)
I haven't tasted a cara cara but from everything I've read and heard its a great orange and rates right at the top of the list for most people.

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 04:17:56 PM »
OK looks like I will be picking up a cara cara.

One thing to consider is it's easy to get Cara Cara in the grocery store. I've never seen Tarocco blood orange sold anywhere. I have seen Moro at the grocery.

containerman

• Modesto,CA Area 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 04:24:47 PM »
I seldom buy citrus at the stores so I'm basing it on taste and for me I really prefer a sweet orange.

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 04:57:08 PM »

One thing to consider is it's easy to get Cara Cara in the grocery store. I've never seen Tarocco blood orange sold anywhere. I have seen Moro at the grocery.
[/quote]

The reason one never sees Tarocco in the store is 1: tastes inferior to Moro and 2: does not reliably get the desired red inside as well as Moro.
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

containerman

• Modesto,CA Area 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 05:35:43 PM »
I called around numerous places and found one and I will be picking it up after work today. Pics to follow.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2018, 09:38:10 PM »
Taracco.  What I think about it?  Grew it.  Tasted it.  Three consecutive years the fruit wasn't just inferior--I didn't even like it.

Dug it up and planted a dekopon in its place.  No regrets.

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2018, 04:19:57 AM »
What is amazing is that here in Europe, Tarocco from Italy is the best orange I ever tasted.
Much better than Moro or Sanguinelli. May be its variety in US is different, in Italy they have several dozens of  clones with different degree of color and time of maturity.
Best regards,
                       Ilya

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2018, 10:59:31 AM »
I didn't like Sanguinelli either.  I'll eat Moro and Cara like candy though, and have to watch my blood sugar

Mando408

• San Jose, CA, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2018, 02:37:56 AM »
What is amazing is that here in Europe, Tarocco from Italy is the best orange I ever tasted.
Much better than Moro or Sanguinelli. May be its variety in US is different, in Italy they have several dozens of  clones with different degree of color and time of maturity.
That's pretty much what I kept reading when doing my research on citrus varieties a few years back when I was going to graft a tree. Everything and everybody basically said Tarocco was the best tasting but hardly any pigmentation (read it's considered a half blood in Italy from the lack of color). Moro on the other hand, the worst tasting (for a blood orange) but it's the most pigmented, which is one of the reasons it's grown commercially, other reasons are crop size and they ripen easier/consistently. I'm kind of surprised that people here have the opposite opinion, maybe I chose the wrong blood orange to grow.

I ended up grafting Meyer lemon, Cara Cara, and Tarocco to the tree I mentioned earlier, last year I added Minneola tangelo, Tahitian pomelo, and a mandarin variety (Kishu, Owari, or Pixie. not sure what stuck). Last year my tree also gave me my first Meyer crop, this year my first Cara Caras, but Tarocco looks like it still isn't ready to flower. I only got about a dozen oranges but I think I might have picked them too soon, most were good and tasted how an orange should but the last one I picked on Valentines Day, it tasted great, it was the only one that had that "complexity" I kept reading about

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2018, 04:42:27 AM »
I am far from Sicily, but my Tarocco (TDV variety) has a nice color already in January

Best regards,
                       Ilya

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2018, 11:32:11 AM »
Ilya11, thanks for the picture.  your Tarocco  certainly is red, not as red as a Moro, but your Tarocco looks to be of high quality. 

JinnyLea

• United States /Michigan Zone 4b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical fruit forum
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2018, 02:05:10 PM »
Hi, I have a Cara Cara and a Tarocco Blood,  each in containers.  They are still young trees and have not produced fruit yet but I look forward to the day that they do. I read that the Tarocco Blood has the best flavor overall of the bloods but I believe as with most citrus, it varies on how it is grown and conditions of when the fruit is ripening.. ..that is why I purchased it over the Moro. I recently had the good fortune to taste my very first Cara Cara and Moro that was purchased from our local grocery store. I loved both of them as they are so different in taste. I bought 3 Moro's and ate two so far. The first one I ate was lacking in flavor, but the second Moro fruit was out of this world, much better than the first. It had a deeper blood red pigment throughout the fruit, and it had a complex, deep wine, berry flavor. My hubby and I loved it. I am now going to add the Moro to my container collection. Lol. ( I also have a Budd Blood.)

Lovely picture of the Tarocco Blood,  Ilya. :)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 02:12:18 PM by JinnyLea »

CBG35

• Escondido CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2018, 11:52:34 PM »
I have both and they are both amazing.  Tarocco is the best tasting blood orange, Moro second best.  Sanguenelli is just too tart for me.  Cara Cara's are super tasty.  I couldn't choose.

containerman

• Modesto,CA Area 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2018, 01:25:04 PM »
If I can find the room maybe I will consider adding a tarocco to the collection. Right now I have 3 orange trees and 5 mandarins all different varieties.

MarcV

• TheCitrusMan
    • Schoten, Belgium
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2018, 01:39:54 PM »
Tarocco is definitely worth planting. They have an unique and excellent taste that you won't find in any other (blood) orange. Comparing tarocco with moro is like comparing a washington navel with a valencia orange. One is more suitable for eating, the other one is better for juicing. And the taste is completely different. The tarocco is, as they say, the best eating orange you can find.

As for the cara cara - they are usually not available on the market here but we had them a couple of seasons ago. I had high expectations of the variety and was eager to try them, but to me they just tasted like any other navel orange. Which doesn't mean they were bad of course  :)
...but I could be wrong...

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2018, 01:09:25 AM »
What we can agree on here is that the fruit grown in one area's conditions will taste different than one grown in another, and will also be variable across people's random palates.

Not counting that not every fruit from the same tree will taste the same, especially at different stages of ripening.

If you really want to know a fruit, taste multiple samples on multiple trees grown in different places and then you'll really get a feel for the variety overall.

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2018, 05:00:15 PM »
What we can agree on here is that the fruit grown in one area's conditions will taste different than one grown in another, and will also be variable across people's random palates.

Not counting that not every fruit from the same tree will taste the same, especially at different stages of ripening.

If you really want to know a fruit, taste multiple samples on multiple trees grown in different places and then you'll really get a feel for the variety overall.

Or just taste the same fruit from your location at different ripeness.. because you're not going to grow a orange in Florida that taste like it was grown in Cali
Joe