Author Topic: Anyone growing Rubus glaucous?  (Read 1254 times)

Mvule101

• Arua, Uganda
    • View Profile
Anyone growing Rubus glaucous?
« on: December 25, 2019, 06:10:11 AM »
Hello and Merry Christmas everyone!

Anyone have experience germinating and growing Andean Raspberry, Rubus glaucous. How are the fruit? The Ferns website suggest that it tastes very good and give it four rating. Does it do well in frost free areas? We are about 3,000 feet up here in northern Uganda.

Any information much appreciated as I have just received some seeds.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone growing Rubus glaucous?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2019, 11:56:04 AM »
Rubus rosifolius looks better for subtropical and tropical raspberry.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2019, 08:39:23 PM »
I have a poor track record germinating Rubus, so I can't say much in that regard. But I think it could do well for you. Keep them in the shade during the hottest months, but test a few plants in full sun, to see how well they adapt. Rubus tend to be strong, hardy and vigorous plants. I think there's a population of R. glaucus in Hawaii, though I'm not fully certain.

Right now I'm growing R. probus, and have had success growing temperate climate Rubus in the worst, most neglectful conditions I could give them, with strong summer heat and full tropical sun. I haven't lost any to my climate yet. Highland tropical species might be as hardy, or they might not, but I'm decently  confident in R. glaucus.

Trade Winds Fruit has seeds on occasion, so I'm keeping my eyes out for it, to try myself.

Mvule101

• Arua, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2019, 05:32:43 AM »
Thank you. Do you know how this Rubus tastes? How is the yeild?
Rubus rosifolius looks better for subtropical and tropical raspberry.

Mvule101

• Arua, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2019, 05:40:42 AM »
I have a poor track record germinating Rubus, so I can't say much in that regard. But I think it could do well for you. Keep them in the shade during the hottest months, but test a few plants in full sun, to see how well they adapt. Rubus tend to be strong, hardy and vigorous plants. I think there's a population of R. glaucus in Hawaii, though I'm not fully certain.

Right now I'm growing R. probus, and have had success growing temperate climate Rubus in the worst, most neglectful conditions I could give them, with strong summer heat and full tropical sun. I haven't lost any to my climate yet. Highland tropical species might be as hardy, or they might not, but I'm decently  confident in R. glaucus.

Trade Winds Fruit has seeds on occasion, so I'm keeping my eyes out for it, to try myself.

OK thank you. How does Rubus probus taste like? There is a local one I have from South Sudan but the taste is unremarkable.

I have sown my seeds and put them in the fridge for a month or so, and we will see the results in due course.

I have noticed that both R. probus and R. glauca are in Stock with trade wind fruit.

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2020, 01:59:05 PM »

OK thank you. How does Rubus probus taste like? There is a local one I have from South Sudan but the taste is unremarkable.

I have sown my seeds and put them in the fridge for a month or so, and we will see the results in due course.

I have noticed that both R. probus and R. glauca are in Stock with trade wind fruit.

R. rosifolius tastes like a milder version of R. probus (itself tasting like a milder version of domestic red raspberry), but where both are softer than domestic types, R. probus is juicier, and R. rosifolius is mealier. I consider it a decent berry, but it probably won't impress most folks with access to superior berries. If you can only grow one of the two, R. probus is considered superior to R. rosifolius.

Rubus niveus (Mysore Raspberry) is another tropical Bramble, with black raspberry type fruits. I haven't tasted it, so I don't know much about the flavor, but it's usually the first one people recommend.

If you like the domestic types, Caroline, Anne & Bababerry Raspberries grow well enough in the tropics, as do Domestic Black Raspberries. I'm trialling Wild Treasure & Prime Ark Freedom blackberries, and they're showing no signs of succumbing to the heat & humidity.

Mvule101

• Arua, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 04:18:48 AM »

R. rosifolius tastes like a milder version of R. probus (itself tasting like a milder version of domestic red raspberry), but where both are softer than domestic types, R. probus is juicier, and R. rosifolius is mealier. I consider it a decent berry, but it probably won't impress most folks with access to superior berries. If you can only grow one of the two, R. probus is considered superior to R. rosifolius.

Rubus niveus (Mysore Raspberry) is another tropical Bramble, with black raspberry type fruits. I haven't tasted it, so I don't know much about the flavor, but it's usually the first one people recommend.

If you like the domestic types, Caroline, Anne & Bababerry Raspberries grow well enough in the tropics, as do Domestic Black Raspberries. I'm trialling Wild Treasure & Prime Ark Freedom blackberries, and they're showing no signs of succumbing to the heat & humidity.

Thank you that is very interesting. I might try and bring back some roots of the domestic ones when I visit the US.