Author Topic: When are peoples Lemon Zest and Coconut Cream ripening this year?  (Read 9390 times)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: When are peoples Lemon Zest and Coconut Cream ripening this year?
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2018, 02:22:37 PM »
Between Coconut Cream and Lemon Zest, which is 1) a smaller fruit, 2) ripens earlier, and 3) is more vigorous on La Verne rootstock?  I'm asking because I may be able to plant one of the two outdoors in Northern California in a frost free location, but given the lack of heat if there's ever hope of getting fruit it'll have to be one that is small, early ripening, and vigorous.

(I know this is an old thread, but it seemed the most relevant.)

if you are within 15 miles of coast and get fog, you can kiss Lemon Zest goodbye. its a powdery mildew magnet. I am 30 miles form coast and hardly get fog, and still get PM. it is very poor in setting and holding fruits. I have not given up, have a LZ seedling growing well, hopefully it fruits next year. its 3.5 yr old now.

Agree horrible var w respect to fungal problems

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2018, 09:57:46 PM »
Powdery mildew is relatively easy to combat with sulfur.
Jeff  :-)

Bani

• USA, CA, Eastvale, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2018, 01:10:01 PM »
Between Coconut Cream and Lemon Zest, which is 1) a smaller fruit, 2) ripens earlier, and 3) is more vigorous on La Verne rootstock?  I'm asking because I may be able to plant one of the two outdoors in Northern California in a frost free location, but given the lack of heat if there's ever hope of getting fruit it'll have to be one that is small, early ripening, and vigorous.

if you are within 15 miles of coast and get fog, you can kiss Lemon Zest goodbye. its a powdery mildew magnet. I am 30 miles form coast and hardly get fog, and still get PM. it is very poor in setting and holding fruits. I have not given up, have a LZ seedling growing well, hopefully it fruits next year. its 3.5 yr old now.

I have a chest high LZ that I just put in the ground about 2 months ago. It is just starting to flower, do I need to do anything? I'm in Eastvale (Corona/Norco area). behlgarden where are you located in SoCal? sounds like we may be close?

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2018, 02:57:56 PM »

I have a chest high LZ that I just put in the ground about 2 months ago. It is just starting to flower, do I need to do anything? I'm in Eastvale (Corona/Norco area). behlgarden where are you located in SoCal? sounds like we may be close?
Corona

Cythompson159@yahoo.com

• JoJo Mammey
    • East central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2018, 04:04:08 PM »
Same he in east central fl. My LZ is still flowering and has some panalcals already pollinated. My coconut cream did not flower this year, I had to trim off some cold damage and it went right into new growth.
Weird I only have 2 mango trees and they are also LZ and CC.

Cythompson159@yahoo.com

• JoJo Mammey
    • East central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2018, 05:12:00 PM »
Same he in east central fl. My LZ is still flowering and has some panalcals already pollinated. My coconut cream did not flower this year, I had to trim off some cold damage and it went right into new growth.
Weird I only have 2 mango trees and they are also LZ and CC.

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2018, 06:33:12 PM »
CC doing good, about 20 large fruit on it (I prune heavy so tree is still small but about 4 years old) it has a second new bloom from about a month or more ago and is holding some new fruitlets, will be curious to see if any and how many hold to maturity because would be very late in the season for them. PPK did not bloom well for its 2nd year, and sadly a PPK tree 2 blocks away that gets neglected is loaded. Go figure.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2018, 11:36:15 PM »
PPK did not bloom well for its 2nd year, and sadly a PPK tree 2 blocks away that gets neglected is loaded. Go figure.
Perhaps chance... Perhaps too much nitrogen, minerals, & other love & yours grows grows grows.. vs. deficient tree deciding to set fruit as this may be it's last opportunity....guesses,guesses... trying to "Go figure".

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk