Author Topic: Question for Oscar about Hawaiian Avocado varieties.  (Read 8345 times)

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
Question for Oscar about Hawaiian Avocado varieties.
« on: June 19, 2012, 09:25:30 AM »
I am thinking about putting together an order for some grafted trees from Frankies. I wanted to get your opinion on which of the following types of avocados you thought were best. Fujikawa,Gladys, Hulumanu,Malama, Morita, Nishikawa, Nogami,  SanMiguel, Seedless, Semil 34, Yamagata, Yani. I am probably going to get two types. Kind of already set on the Malama unless you think there are better options.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Question for Oscar about Hawaiian Avocado varieties.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 05:10:17 PM »
I am thinking about putting together an order for some grafted trees from Frankies. I wanted to get your opinion on which of the following types of avocados you thought were best. Fujikawa,Gladys, Hulumanu,Malama, Morita, Nishikawa, Nogami,  SanMiguel, Seedless, Semil 34, Yamagata, Yani. I am probably going to get two types. Kind of already set on the Malama unless you think there are better options.

You should ask Frank or Lynn's opinions since you are ordering from them. Don't have all of the ones you mention, but of the ones i have i like Yamagata, Nishikawa, Semil 34, and Fujikawa. One of the best ones, apart from Malama, that's not on your list is Kahaluu. Some other very good ones not on your list popular here are Sharwill, Green Gold, and Linda.
Oscar

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 08:51:41 PM »

You should ask Frank or Lynn's opinions since you are ordering from them. Don't have all of the ones you mention, but of the ones i have i like Yamagata, Nishikawa, Semil 34, and Fujikawa. One of the best ones, apart from Malama, that's not on your list is Kahaluu. Some other very good ones not on your list popular here are Sharwill, Green Gold, and Linda.

Thanks for the help. I got my Kahaluu scions from you already. They seem to be doing pretty well so I think I am set for that one. Is there any chance that you may start shipping trees at some point? It would be great to be able to grab some trees from you. Is there a certain time of the year when most of your avocados are at a good stage to take scions from? With all of the good varieties that you mentioned I am thinking that I might be better off just going with scions so I don't go broke.

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 09:03:56 PM »
Nishikawa adapted very well here in SW Florida.  My nishikawa tree is loaded with fruits.  My kahalluu is too small to fruit, and is growing quite well.  Nishikawa grows kind up upright.  Kahaluu is a spreading wide tree.  kahaluu is believed to be one of the best avocados in the world.  Fujikawa is doing quite well also. The problem is that what is good for Hawaii, may not be good for central or south Florida!!!!!
Most Hawaiian avocados seem to do  very well here in SW Florida.  Time will tell for sure!

I would try kahaluu, malama, nishikwa, and fujikawa.  Just an unrequested opinion!

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 09:47:05 PM »
Thanks for the tips. I might end up getting those. Trying to decide between yamagata and fujikawa for the last one. I know I can get the Nishikawa in FL so that one is definitely on the list.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 01:14:44 AM »

Thanks for the help. I got my Kahaluu scions from you already. They seem to be doing pretty well so I think I am set for that one. Is there any chance that you may start shipping trees at some point? It would be great to be able to grab some trees from you. Is there a certain time of the year when most of your avocados are at a good stage to take scions from? With all of the good varieties that you mentioned I am thinking that I might be better off just going with scions so I don't go broke.

I sold plants by mail for very many years. I discontinued doing that as i never really liked that part of my business...just too many hassles and red tape headaches. This is a good time of the year for avocado scion wood.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 01:18:51 AM »
Nishikawa adapted very well here in SW Florida.  My nishikawa tree is loaded with fruits.  My kahalluu is too small to fruit, and is growing quite well.  Nishikawa grows kind up upright.  Kahaluu is a spreading wide tree.  kahaluu is believed to be one of the best avocados in the world.  Fujikawa is doing quite well also. The problem is that what is good for Hawaii, may not be good for central or south Florida!!!!!
Most Hawaiian avocados seem to do  very well here in SW Florida.  Time will tell for sure!

I would try kahaluu, malama, nishikwa, and fujikawa.  Just an unrequested opinion!

The climate conditions in South Florida and Hawaii are very similar. The main difference is you occasionaly get those arctic blasts. So it's not sure how our varieties will survive those very short freezes you have. Other big difference is your soils. Our soils are slightly acid and yours are alkaline, due to limestone, and alkaline water.
Oscar

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 01:25:06 AM »

The climate conditions in South Florida and Hawaii are very similar. The main difference is you occasionaly get those arctic blasts. So it's not sure how our varieties will survive those very short freezes you have. Other big difference is your soils. Our soils are slightly acid and yours are alkaline, due to limestone, and alkaline water.
I would think you r soils are richer than our sand.
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 01:32:45 AM »

I would think you r soils are richer than our sand.

Volcanic soils are very rich once they've broken down. Lava rock is not very rich in nutrients because plants can't absorb them.
Oscar

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 07:34:47 AM »

Berto,  can you tell us a bit about your Nishikawa?
How old is the tree?
How long has been in the ground?
Did it bear fruit last year?
Fruit size?
When did the fruit matures?
How long does it stay on the tree?
Your opinion on flavor?
Shelve life?
Can you post a pic of the tree?

I have a couple of Nishikawa trees one is a top worked tree that will be large by next year, they seem to love the area as the trees and doing very well.  I'm evaluating this for possible commercial production, I would like to confirm about maturity time and tree storage, any input will be appreciated.

I'm curious why the is no mention of Murashige avocado. A friend from Hawaii says it does well for him at low elevations so it should work for us in Florida. I grafted a couple of trees early in the year and are doing well.  Has anyone tried this?
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 08:55:41 AM »
Carlos send me a personal email and I will put you in contact with a grower in Pine Island that has been growing nishikawa longer than me.
My tree is probably 3 years old.  It has been in the ground since the Spring of 2011.  This year is the first time it is holding fruits. The taste?  I am not sure how to describe it. The flesh is firm and not watery like some Florida avocados. Fruit size? I would say 12 to 14 oz.  I am a bit better using the metric system, and I did not weight the fruits I had.
Shelf life ????  Not sure.   I bought some fruits from the above mentioned grower in Pine Island and I did not pay attention to shelf life.
The fruits mature in ealy Fall if I am not mistaken.  I am sure the grower in Pine Island will answer your questions with a higher degree of accuracy.   
Picture of my tree?  I will post some photos sometime soon.  My nishikawa tree is planted in a high mound.  My orchard is located in a wet area (read, Florida swamp).