Author Topic: What avocados can live in -10C?  (Read 5606 times)

shiro

• France La Rochelle
    • View Profile
Re: What avocados can live in -10C?
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2020, 05:52:02 AM »
Very interesting TucksonKen, so it allows you to graft in the first year instead of waiting 1 year.

For emancipation I had read in this study that you have to put the young plants in the dark for a while before emancipation.
https://ucanr.edu/sites/alternativefruits/files/121265.pdf

What is the ideal temperature for a micrograft?

TucsonKen

• USA, AZ, Tucson, zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • KEN STOCKTON Southwest Landscape Artist
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2020, 10:24:11 AM »
Very interesting article, Shiro--thanks for the link! However, I'm just a backyard hobbyist trying to find varieties that can succeed in a marginal climate and soil. I'm not aware of any avocado root rot problem in my yard yet (maybe that's next), so I haven't been concerned about clonal rootstocks, which sound far beyond my level of expertise. I'm really not an expert in any aspect of avocado propagation, although I've had good success with this grafting approach. I'm not familiar with "emancipation' in the context of grafting/growing avocados--do you mean etiolation? As far as an ideal temperature, I haven't paid close attention, but have had the best success in spring and fall when it's neither too hot nor too cold. I immediately put the newly-grafted plants into morning sun (under the eaves on the east side of my house) and gradually move them further from the house until they have full sun most of the day.

shiro

• France La Rochelle
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2020, 10:54:41 AM »
Emancipation: refers to a tree that, when grafted, produces roots above the graft because it is planted too deep. The emancipation increases the vigour of the tree often to the detriment of the production and quality of the fruit.

https://www.greffer.net/?p=514
It comes back to what you said in your previous message, but perhaps there is a more appropriate word than this in English.

Watch this video where he shows their methods with rootstock.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyMogjYoldY

I'm not an expert with avocados yet either.
And 3 big questions in mind for which I'm going to create another topic of discussion.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 10:56:42 AM by shiro »

TucsonKen

• USA, AZ, Tucson, zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • KEN STOCKTON Southwest Landscape Artist
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2020, 03:04:15 PM »
Now I understand--thank you for the explanation. If there's a better word in English, I don't know it, either! The intent of grafting so close to the seed and then burying the graft union is not to grow new roots above the graft (although I suppose that is likely to happen over time, even without etiolation, since avocados can be air layered), but instead, it's simply to protect a less-cold-hardy rootstock from freezing temperatures. I have wondered if there could be any detriment if the scion did end up growing some of its own roots, such as losing salt tolerance or becoming more vulnerable to root rot, but I simply don't know.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk