Author Topic: importing seeds into country  (Read 1208 times)

Jackfruit Jo

• Australia, Queensland, Mackay,
    • View Profile
importing seeds into country
« on: June 23, 2019, 06:30:30 AM »
I was wondering if anyone on here could help me please. I live in Australia and am getting cacao seeds sent into Australia. Cacao seeds are on the permitted seeds list into country.

The only thing I worry is that customs is going to be funny about the fruit that is stuck on the seeds. I find it nearly impossible to clean the seeds with no fruit flesh stuck on them.

Has anyone had any experience importing seeds that had fruit flesh stuck on seeds and whether customs lets it through or they feel strictly about it and will confiscate it. Any advice that anyone can give me on the subject would be really helpful. Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 03:13:01 PM by Jackfruit Jo »

mike rule

• karrabin qld australia
    • View Profile
Re: importing seeds into country
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 06:32:17 PM »
Jackfruit Jo .... My first attempt to bring Mango seeds into OZ failed due to the fact that the seeds were still in the fruit husk..... OZ customs destroyed .......If you got these seeds from say USA & right on Christmas period you may have a chance with Customs not checking as closely due to volume being received at that time......

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 07:15:47 PM »
Here we have customs officers at the.post office and they open the packages in front of you and ask questions about the stuff.Manny times they are reasonable but i did got a lighter that looked a bit like a gun sent back because they said it illegal to bring in the country.Off course ,Australia,Usa and Europe customs services differ.

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 07:46:51 PM »
Soak the seeds in water for a few days, then the pulp should wipe off. Drop into a little moist vermiculite (hopefully they allow THAT in!) and by the time they arrive, they should have germinated.

Carolyn

Jackfruit Jo

• Australia, Queensland, Mackay,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 11:21:51 PM »
Thankyou Mike rule, Seawalnut and Carolyn for your helpful advice ! Very nice of you for taking the time to let me know your experiences and helpful tips.

mike rule

• karrabin qld australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 03:00:10 AM »
Just a further word re vermiculite or like products..... Customs usually don't know what they are & if in doubt destroy or think it is soil & destroy better to be placed in a moist paper towel inside a zip lock bag....... Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk